The BlackBerry Internet Service Email (BIS-E) upgrade to BIS-E 2.8 brings enhanced functionality, as well as increased security, to the BIS-E service. This upgrade will occur overnight on 10/2 - 10/3.

Customer Experience

This is a backend system upgrade and does not require any customer interaction to receive its benefits.

During the four hour upgrade period, BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers may be unable to:

Send or receive messages
    Use the BlackBerry Internet Service web site
    Create new accounts
    Access their Internet mailbox
    Integrate third-party email accounts
    View email attachments during the maintenance

Additionally, wireless service providers and device resellers may be unable to use BlackBerry administration web sites or perform activities such as creating subscriber accounts or provisioning services for subscribers during the upgrade period.

Upgrade Period

The upgrade is scheduled for the following times:

10/2 11:00 PM - 10/3 3:00 AM PT
    10/3 12:00 AM - 4:00 AM MT
    10/3 1:00 AM - 5:00 AM CT
    10/3 2:00 AM - 6:00 AM ET
    09-30-09 03:33 PM
    Does this also mean BBM will be down?
    09-30-09 04:51 PM
    Yeah all data will be down for those few hours.
    10-01-09 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the info and the "heads up."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 09:00 AM
    Wonder if this is why bbm was acting finicky cause they were getting ready for this hummm

10-02-09 03:09 AM
    Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I am going to bed soon anyway. Hopefully all will be well when I get up.
    10-02-09 11:46 PM
    I'm wondering if this upgrade will be the start of good things... Ie after this update maybe we'll start seeing official 5.0 releases, BBM update, etc... I guess we'll see today and the coming days ahead.
    10-02-09 11:46 PM
    Hopefully its not really a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

10-03-09 01:29 AM
    did it happen anyone notice anything different?
    10-03-09 08:24 AM
    Does anyone have the breakdown on what BIS 2.8 delivers?
    10-03-09 11:22 AM
    All of the changes are listed in this CB blog entry.

BIS 2.8 Rollout Coming in September?

10-03-09 11:42 AM
    courtesy of the peeps at BBOS:

*Two-way wireless synchronization with Google Mail Contacts* and the Address Book on the BlackBerry smart phone:

Synchronize Google Mail contacts quickly and easily to the BlackBerry smart phone

Add or edit Contacts and the Contacts are automatically updated, whether they are updated on the computer or BlackBerry smart phone

Note: Two-way wireless Contact synchronization with Google Mail Contacts requires BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and configuration through email settings on the BlackBerry smart phone. Additional requirements and constraints may be found within the BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8 Documentation Kit. This feature is not supported on BlackBerry smart phones with BlackBerry Connect™ software.

*Enhancements to email setup and settings:

Automatic Login now supports most billing identifiers, which allows new subscribers with wireless service providers that use PIN, IMEI, or ESN as a billing identifier to create BlackBerry Internet Service accounts from the BlackBerry smart phone, without having to create a login user name and password

Note: This feature will be available approximately one week after the

*BlackBerry Internet Service upgrade.

Windows Live Hotmail revalidation:

With BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8, new Windows Live Hotmail mail integrations will be defaulted to a protocol that is designed so as not to require 90 day reauthorization.

Note: Existing BlackBerry smart phone users accessing Windows Live Hotmail using Microsoft MSP will still be required to revalidate their Windows Live Hotmail account every 90 days.
    Last edited by RedBank; 10-03-09 at 04:27 PM.
    10-03-09 04:24 PM
    Also note that unless you are using 5.0...this will not affect you from what I understand...
    10-03-09 04:29 PM
    Its working. Wasn't at 2pm on my phone but just checked and tested all 3 email accounts and it reconciled on my device in minutes.

Fast forward:Not working. Maybe it was only part of testing? The option in contacts to turn on wireless sync is grayed
    Last edited by rts3k; 10-06-09 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Updated sync info thats not actually working
    10-03-09 09:12 PM
    How can you tell if this upgrade was done?

10-04-09 08:21 AM
    The biggest thing I noticed is that service books are now located in Help...

This was a huge help to my collegues who spent forever looking for service books on it yesterday! LOL
    10-04-09 10:44 AM
    I am curious how to tell whether the upgrade was complete. I am still very new to Blackberry, so this is all new territory for me.

Everywhere I go tells me to log into Verizon's BIS web service, but I've always done my email setup right on my Tour through the Email setting application. I tried logging on to the Verizon BIS webservice using my @vzw.blackberry.net username, but it didn't work.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. The ability to sync up my Google contacts without having to actually use the google sync application would be great. The less 3rd-party apps, the better, I say!
    10-04-09 01:35 PM
    I don't think I got this upgrade? How? Or How to tell? email setting look same...

10-06-09 09:23 PM