I've seen people post on here that you cannot use your business email (BES Server) when you have the BIS plan with VZW. I've been on the BIS plan for about 4 months now and I have been hooked up to our corporate BES server ever since... $29.99 is all I am paying for the Blackberry services (not including the calling plan).
    I think there may be some extra functionality if you have the BES plan... like being able to connect to your business intranet, but if all you really need is the email functionality why pay the extra money?
    08-13-08 09:12 AM
    What calling plan do you have?
    08-13-08 09:27 AM
    BIS plan here as well! I have no problem to link my work e-mail to my bb. BUT.. I was unable to wireless sync with work outlook only can use USB. If you have google sync, you can use google sync to connect with your outlook than link back to BB. It will work wireless sync.
    I am on very low plan, voice plan I mean.
    08-13-08 09:45 AM
    Having the BIS plan doesn't prevent you from getting work email, it prevents you from being activated in a BES. Without the right plan you won't get enterprise activation on your phone which is required to get on the BES.

That said, you can still set up work email on BIS by using pop3 or imap which is what it sounds like us going on here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-08 11:59 AM
    Yeah man, attachment to your work email will not be limited by BIS, as it supports POP3/IMAP/OWA conduits. It's attachment to a BES server that's the limitation.

FYI, a BES server is not an "email server". A BES server is the server software that RIM released to allow corporations to tie in Blackberries for FULL WIRELESS sync to Exchange or other type of email servers.

Please get your facts correct before posting. False info like this is not good.
    08-13-08 04:16 PM
    Having the BIS plan doesn't prevent you from getting work email, it prevents you from being activated in a BES. Without the right plan you won't get enterprise activation on your phone which is required to get on the BES.

That said, you can still set up work email on BIS by using pop3 or imap which is what it sounds like us going on here.

I have the 8330 and on the BIS plan I have the enterprise activation option on my phone. I am connected to our BES server here at work.
    08-18-08 12:59 PM
    Yeah man, attachment to your work email will not be limited by BIS, as it supports POP3/IMAP/OWA conduits. It's attachment to a BES server that's the limitation.

FYI, a BES server is not an "email server". A BES server is the server software that RIM released to allow corporations to tie in Blackberries for FULL WIRELESS sync to Exchange or other type of email servers.

Please get your facts correct before posting. False info like this is not good.
    You're an *****. I never called our BES server an "email server"... get YOUR facts straight before posting.
    Obviously, you wouldn't be receiving (not talking about syncing through the desktop software) your corporate email on your blackberry unless you had a BES server (which I do administer by the way).
    So... yeah... BIS plan and I can do enterprise activation and receive my email on my bberry through the BES.
    08-18-08 01:07 PM
    This thread is extremely misleading and full of misinformation

If, in fact, you actually can do this... then why not post the procedure you took for this to activate properly?? I have never seen someone on BIS have the ability to activate on BES
    08-18-08 01:13 PM
    This thread is extremely misleading and full of misinformation

If, in fact, you actually can do this... then why not post the procedure you took for this to activate properly?? I have never seen someone on BIS have the ability to activate on BES
    I hopped on the BES server, setup my user account, sent the enterprise activation password, opened my outlook, got the password, grabbed my blackberry and went into options-advanced-enterprise activation, put in my corporate email address, punched in the password, and then hit activate.

You know what... when I first got my phone and went through that little tutorial it asked me how I wanted to setup my email... I selected the corporate email option. Maybe if you select something different you don't get the enterprise activation under the advanced options. Just a thought...
    Last edited by david62277; 08-18-08 at 01:25 PM.
    08-18-08 01:17 PM
    Obviously, you wouldn't be receiving (not talking about syncing through the desktop software) your corporate email on your blackberry unless you had a BES server (which I do administer by the way).

This isn't exactly right. I am on BIS and get my work Email through OWA without connecting to the BES server. No Calendar this way but as mentioned above with Google Calendar Sync you can make a Wireless Sync setup.
    08-18-08 08:48 PM
    You're an *****. I never called our BES server an "email server"... get YOUR facts straight before posting.
    So... yeah... BIS plan and I can do enterprise activation and receive my email on my bberry through the BES.
    You're the i d i o t. There's no way you're on a BIS only plan and using BES activation. What's even more amusing is that you think the Enterprise Activation menu choice isn't listed on all BBs regardless of what provisioning they have. It's there for each and every one. The only difference is that if you're not provisioned for BES capabilities you'll just get an error on activation, that's all.

The most likely issue here is that Verizon either has your account billed one way and provisioned another way. Without the right provisioning, you cannot have BES capabilities.
    08-18-08 10:24 PM
    lol this is good.....

Hey David.... Cough... Cough BS!!! Cough, Cough
    08-18-08 10:41 PM
    Ok, instead of getting nasty with you people I'll just give information and maybe someone will prove me right or wrong.
    When I first got my blackberry and signed up for the service I was told that I'd pay $29.99 for the blackberry services.
    Here is my current calling plan...

NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MSG 1350 MINS UNL BBERRY + N&W + IN + MSG $129.99 1107

Details
    Monthly Access $129.99
    Monthly Home Airtime 1350 MN
    (in minutes)
    Additional Peak Minutes $0.35
    Features Monthly Fee
    3-WAY CALLING $0.00
    BASIC VOICE MAIL - $0 $0.00
    BLACKBERRY CORP PROVISION $0.00
    BLACKBERRY EVDO FOR MB $0 $0.00
    BUSY TRANSFER $0.00
    CALL DELIVERY $0.00
    CALL FORWARDING $0.00
    CALL WAITING $0.00
    CALLER ID $0.00
    DETAILED BILLING - $0 $0.00
    GENERAL IP ADDRESS $0.00
    IN CALLING NATL UNLIM - $0 $0.00
    MESSAGE WAITING INDICATOR $0.00
    NATIONAL ACCESS ROAMING $0.00
    NEW EVERY TWO MULTI TIER $0.00
    NO ANSWER TRANSFER $0.00
    TEC ASURION - $5.99 $5.99
    TXT MSG W PER MSG CHARGES $0.00
    UNL NIGHT & WEEKEND MIN $0 $0.00
    UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG $0.00
    UNL TEXT MESSAGING $0.00
    Promotions
    19% ACCESS DISCOUNT
    BONUS 15 1 TIME MINUTE

Now I do notice in there it does say "BLACKBERRY CORP PROVISION". All I know is that I was told that I would pay $29.99 for blackberry services. I read that they charge $45 for corporate... to my knowlege I am not paying that. Maybe someone here can say for sure.
    09-11-08 07:34 AM
    Try this...
    Go to manage connections -> Service Status
    What does it say for BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Service?
    09-11-08 08:49 AM
    Try this...
    Go to manage connections -> Service Status
    What does it say for BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Service?
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    Connection: Mobile Network

BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Connection: Mobile Network

According to my plan does it look like it is a BIS or BES plan? I was told at the store when I bought my phone that I'd be paying $29.99, so I assumed it was the BIS plan.
    09-11-08 09:50 AM
    I see where the confusion is now.

OP is on a Nationwide Email plan that includes the BES service. Since they are on the 1350 plan, the data portion of the plan is discounted to 29.99.

So yes, you have BES access and see only paying 29.99 however you are not on the email and web plan which is BIS access only.

09-11-08 12:11 PM
    Thank you vatothe0! Finally..someone clearing up this mess...as a VZW BES user I was starting to get a little freaked out.

09-12-08 02:32 AM
    [QUOTE=Now I do notice in there it does say "BLACKBERRY CORP PROVISION". All I know is that I was told that I would pay $29.99 for blackberry services. I read that they charge $45 for corporate... to my knowlege I am not paying that. Maybe someone here can say for sure.[/QUOTE]

To be allowed to be activated on a BES you have to get BES data service from VZW first. This is the $45 corporate plan you referred to. With this plan you can get mail on both BIS and BES on your BB.
    09-12-08 10:11 AM
    To be allowed to be activated on a BES you have to get BES data service from VZW first. This is the $45 corporate plan you referred to. With this plan you can get mail on both BIS and BES on your BB.
    This was answered already... it seems because of the plan I have the BES access is discounted to $29.99 instead of the $45 that would normally be paid.
    09-16-08 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD