08-25-08 06:55 PM
67 123
tools
    The Bold is suggested to be launched exclusively for AT&T for awhile as the Javelin is going to T-Mobile in the same way. What can we expect as Verizon customers? I know the touch screen is rumored to come out but I don't plan on getting it. I am getting a BlackBerry in Feb and I would like to be able to get the Javelin (or any other name that is like that).
    08-13-08 05:52 PM
    Well, the Bold and Javelin are both GSM, and VZW is CDMA. So, neither of the those models could possibly work on Verizon. As what has happened in the past, the Bold will be GSM first and then 6-12 months later a CDMA version for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, etc. will come out.

Hope that helps!
    Paul
    08-13-08 06:02 PM
    That really bothers me. I think it would be in the best interest that the same phone was launched within months of each other on every major network. Well for a company like RIM I mean.
    08-13-08 06:32 PM
    That really bothers me. I think it would be in the best interest that the same phone was launched within months of each other on every major network. Well for a company like RIM I mean.
    Even for a big company like RIM it is hard. The phone on AT&T and T-Mobile and lot of the rest of the world is different than what Sprint and Verizon use, if that makes sense. The chips on the inside of the phone are different and require different software, too.

Hope this helps!
    Paul
    08-13-08 06:35 PM
    Well, the Bold and Javelin are both GSM, and VZW is CDMA. So, neither of the those models could possibly work on Verizon. As what has happened in the past, the Bold will be GSM first and then 6-12 months later a CDMA version for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, etc. will come out.

Hope that helps!
    Paul
    couldnt have said it better...the curve is a perfect example of that same situation.
    08-13-08 06:35 PM
    Well I mean Verizon isn't expected to get the Bold and/or the Javelin on launch. Whether the touchscreen is coming soon or not for those who do want a normal BlackBerry you would think they would send the Bold to GSM Networks and the Javelin to CDMA.
    08-13-08 06:38 PM
    ::sigh:: its things like this that make me want to switch from verizon. cdma are always the last to get everything!
    08-13-08 06:40 PM
    couldnt have said it better...the curve is a perfect example of that same situation.
    Thanks.
    08-13-08 06:42 PM
    The "Thunder" is the CDMA version that is coming. Tech support told me to wait til 1st of the year for more info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-08 09:13 PM
    ok like all this is true but one thing i have noticed about vz is that they have other companies come out with there phone(s) frst and them after they have been tweeked and all then vz come out with there cdma version
    08-13-08 09:44 PM
    ok like all this is true but one thing i have noticed about vz is that they have other companies come out with there phone(s) frst and them after they have been tweeked and all then vz come out with there cdma version
    i dont mind that. i rather get the finished, updated and tweeked version, then the first one that is missing certain features or has alot of problems
    08-14-08 01:48 PM
    Does anyone have an idea on when the Javelin will hit Verizon or its model. Before 2/2009?
    08-14-08 04:56 PM
    Does anyone have an idea on when the Javelin will hit Verizon or its model. Before 2/2009?
    Actually, the Javelin won't ever hit Verizon. The Javelin is GSM, while VZW is CDMA.

There will hopefully be the Bold in CDMA by then.....

Paul
    08-14-08 04:58 PM
    Well not the Javelin but under another code name. I find it hard to believe that model will not hit Verizon.
    08-14-08 05:03 PM
    Well not the Javelin but under another code name. I find it hard to believe that model will not hit Verizon.
    It could just be CDMA Bold. Curve and Pearl stayed the same name. I don't think at this time (please correct me) that we know what exactly RIM is building for CDMA besides the Thunder/Storm.

Paul
    08-14-08 05:05 PM
    The Thunder is the touch screen phone. I mean... lets be honest those true to BlackBerry probably wouldn't pick that up anyway. That would only excite the outsiders. I know I have a touch screen but really dont want the storm.
    08-14-08 05:12 PM
    The Thunder is the touch screen phone. I mean... lets be honest those true to BlackBerry probably wouldn't pick that up anyway. That would only excite the outsiders. I know I have a touch screen but really dont want the storm.
    For me personally, no. But I do see the appeal in it, look how many people are going to the iPhone. If it has the basics of a BlackBerry and really has a better virtual keyboard (than the iPhone) with haptic feedback, it will probably sell, a lot of them.

Paul
    08-14-08 05:17 PM
    There is going to be a CDMA version of the Device referred to as the Javilin. The code name for the CDMA version is Niagara, but it will most likely come out q2 2009, but with Verizon, I wouldn't bet on it.
    08-14-08 05:46 PM
    ::sigh:: its things like this that make me want to switch from verizon. cdma are always the last to get everything!
    Yes..... I asked a Verizon rep a few months ago, why some of the other companies alway have newer models and more colors, first!

His answer was that "they test equipment of newer models a lot longer than the other companies, to work out all the bugs and such, before they will sell them to the public."
    08-14-08 05:57 PM
    Yes..... I asked a Verizon rep a few months ago, why some of the other companies alway have newer models and more colors, first!

His answer was that "they test equipment of newer models a lot longer than the other companies, to work out all the bugs and such, before they will sell them to the public."
    I wonder who tested the Samsung Glyde because it has more bugs than any other phone I've ever seen.
    08-14-08 06:12 PM
    To me it seems like GSM is the wave of the future for now. Ill tell you if att got service where I'm at....I would already be with them. And alltel is no better. There being bought by Verizon. I'm in a lose lose situation, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 07:31 PM
    If the Javelin/Niagra, Thunder, or Bold don't come to Verizon would you get the Pearl 8130 or Curve 8330. I am new to BlackBerry and don't really know the technical difference.
    08-14-08 08:29 PM
    I personally would get the 8330 Curve. That is what I have and the only there are a couple of drawbacks to the pearl in my opinion. The Pearl will not do MMS messaging and it does not have the full QWERTY keyboard. The one advantage that it has is that it is similar in size to a regular phone. I guess it would just depend on those things in my eyes.
    08-14-08 08:33 PM
    Well I don't think 67 million Verizon customers is exactly small. But is Alltel GSM?
    08-14-08 08:37 PM
    Well I don't think 67 million Verizon customers is exactly small. But is Alltel GSM?
    Alltel is CDMA
    08-14-08 08:40 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD