08-18-10 09:59 AM
27 12
tools
    ok...I was in my local verizon store just looking around...my contract expires in Nov. 2010 so I was looking at possible phones and notice that there's wan't many BB out there to choose from...basically, new curve, tour and the bold. But nothing with OS6. After talking to a sales Rep, he basically was telling me that VZW was going to start carrying less BB's??????

I was just wanting to see if anyone else had heard anything, they were pushing the droid really hard...which makes me wonder the furture of RIM??

Any thoughts????
    08-16-10 10:44 AM
    i've said it before

ATT = Blackberry

Verzion = Android

Personally, they are in business to make money, and lots of it. with that being said Android sells.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 10:50 AM
    well i just read an article. i think its berryreview.com................yes there gonna carry less BB's cause there focusing on release there 4G devices.......check out the article on that site....prolly answer a couple of ur questions
    08-16-10 10:53 AM
    Still leaves a lot of questions....why wait until 2011 to release there 4g network...was it based upon them getting the iphone?? If so is BB just going to be faded out from VZW?
    08-16-10 11:06 AM
    Android is what sells right now, and I do not think Verizon is going to stop carrying BBs, just way less, maybe 2 or 3 models but not much hype or marketing for them, one of them being the Curve for sure and the other two might be the new Storm, if there's any and Bold (But I really think they won't carry the Bold at all)
    08-16-10 11:16 AM
    Part of the problem is they're a CDMA carrier and there are far less carriers in the world who are using CDMA technology, therefore there just isn't as much interest from manufacturers in making CDMA devices or making cutting edge CDMA devices (hence Tour came out so much later than the GSM Bold).

Once they've transitioned to LTE, hopefully device selection will improve...

08-16-10 11:21 AM
    can I ask a dumb question then??? I am not that update with the whole LTE vs CDMA but if thats the case that VZW is working/waiting to release LTE phone...why would they be interested in a CDMA iphone? (2) would BB OS6 be considered part of the LTE process???
    08-16-10 11:29 AM
    I don't think they're considering OS6 part of LTE, but I do think LTE is part of the reason for the S3 taking so long to come out, as I seem to recall rumors that it'll be an LTE device...

08-16-10 11:37 AM
    can I ask a dumb question then??? I am not that update with the whole LTE vs CDMA but if thats the case that VZW is working/waiting to release LTE phone...why would they be interested in a CDMA iphone? (2) would BB OS6 be considered part of the LTE process???

IIRC - and i know very little about CDMA
    CDMA = radio technology

LTE = Radio Frequency Technology.

a LTE device will need a CDMA radio.

just like the GMS world 3G+ (HSPA+) device have to have a 3G+ radio to get the greater that 7.2Mbps download that is out there now.

08-16-10 11:58 AM
    Why do people think that VZW will stop selling BB's. WinMo phones hardly sell and they still sell those. Calm down people...take deep breaths...count down from 10...
    08-16-10 12:01 PM
    It does seem Verizon is concentrating more on Android phones right now. Maybe it's the LTE system they are waiting for? I agree with those saying that Verizon will not stop selling BlackBerrys, just not many right now.
    08-16-10 01:18 PM
    LTE is going to be data-only. So, in order to have an iPhone that also carries voice calls, CDMA chips will be necessary until voice over LTE is standardized.

LTE is an air interface. The handset will need to handle LTE, not the software. So, no, OS6 is not related to LTE. However, since OS6 is faster and can render web pages accurately, having LTE on OS6 will really make web browsing significantly faster.
    08-16-10 03:33 PM
    When did they carry more BB than they are right now? Curve, Bold, Storm with an upcoming flip phone? Thats about how many that has always been carried?
    08-16-10 07:52 PM
    Still leaves a lot of questions....why wait until 2011 to release there 4g network...was it based upon them getting the iphone?? If so is BB just going to be faded out from VZW?
    Well, the standard wasn't finalized until recently. Very few other carriers have deployed LTE, VZW's choice of 4G, and no, they aren't waiting on 2011 to deploy 4G. See lte.vzw.com for their take on LTE.

Verizon will continue to carry Blackberry because of corporate users. It is imperative RIM speed up development of more modern OS's and hardware.
    08-17-10 12:47 AM
    LTE = Long Term Evolution, or 4G hardware standard for data communications (voice is simply a data function, though VZW LTE will not initially carry voice traffic.) BB OS 6 is software to make a specific handset work. It is no more a part of LTE than OS 4.6 part of CDMA EVDO REV A.
    08-17-10 12:51 AM
    I have to admit, I am in a panic over a new phone. My contract allows for a new one on August 25. My Storm is starting to get a little wonky, keys are sticking, it's lagging and I just don't trust it anymore. I have a new (used) Curve coming from a friend as a backup because I am trying to hold out until November to do anything.

With the release of this Torch, I've convinced myself Verizon is going to get something as good, but the worry is still there.

I've done the Android thing and hated it. Changing carriers isn't an option.
    08-17-10 02:26 PM
    9650 is your best option right now. If you wait a bit, then the Storm2 Refresh is coming, as is possibly a new curve 9330, BUT we are only starting to hear about it, so it may be a ways off, but the Storm refresh you should expect around Christmas shopping season maybe a little sooner. Also possibly the clamshell 9670, which is a full qwerty flip, similar to the pearl flip. I guess you could call it a curve flip???? These coming devices should all have 6.0. And the 9650 is expected to get 6.0 soon too.

EDIT: IF you are in a big city, and IF you can hold out till early 2011, then you might want to wait for the LTE (4G) Storm.
    08-17-10 03:02 PM
    My BB Storm I is up for renewal and I'm not too sure about going with Storm II. Sounds like I would be waiting a while if I want a BB that outperforms Storm II on the Verizon network?
    08-17-10 03:31 PM
    Like was stated above, the Bold9650 is any BB users best bet right now on VZW. The Storm refresh will most certainly be here by Christmas and the new BB Flip will also. All devices that cannot upgrade to 6.0 (only 9650 can), should be avoided if you can.
    08-17-10 05:32 PM
    The BB flip is a pretty ugly phone in my opinion. I would be perfectly happy if it became a Sprint exclusive. But Verizon needs to get a better selection of phones that are OS6 compatible.
    08-17-10 05:37 PM
    That's what I am waiting for, the Christmas season, you would think something would be pushed out for the holidays.

I don't look for LTE to pop up here for quite a while.
    08-17-10 05:40 PM
    That's what I am waiting for, the Christmas season, you would think something would be pushed out for the holidays.

I don't look for LTE to pop up here for quite a while.

With all of Verizon's android hype right now, I would bet on new BB phones to enter the market for VZW by the holiday season. BB also would like to get more OS6 capable phones to the market.
    08-17-10 05:43 PM
    Diesel, I hope so. This is the first time I've been in a panic mode over a phone.
    08-17-10 08:03 PM
    From what we are hearing the LTE Storm may hit as early as Feb/March 2011 and be the 1st or 2nd LTE phone on Verizon. It is expected to be an early LTE phone, AS IS an android device.

I may end up living with my 9650 on 6.0 and getting the LTE Storm when it hit, OR I might switch to ATT for the Torch. We shall see! Not going to do ANYTHING till I see 6.0 on my 9650!
    08-17-10 09:55 PM
    So has anyone seen a Bold 9650 using OS 6? I saw the youtube video couldn't really tell much...How much longer will it take for that to take place??
    08-18-10 07:53 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD