10-29-08 03:27 PM
40 12
tools
    First off, I would like to say Thank You to the entire Crackberry Community for being there when people like myself, and others have questions. Although I know it may be tedious at times, it's you guys that keep Crackberry around at the end of the day (well and Kevin too ).

Now, I'm requesting a little bit of help from a Verizon CSR. Yes, I do realize that others have knowledgeable input and I would love to hear it. But I'm really hoping that a CSR will be able to help me out with this:

I've had a Blackberry Curve, for around a year and a half. In that time, I've somehow managed to go through 2 replacement phones, and I'm using my third replacement as I type this. Throughout this span of time, I've run into these problems.

• Blackberry contacts needing to be "updated of PIN"
    • Phone turning itself off/on
    • The standby button turns my phone off every now and then
    • My email will stop working for days at a time
    • My trackball won't select the exact option I want
    • Some videos and pictures won't save or play/display
    • I get the lovely hourglass for hours on end (feels like hours, more like minutes)

The list could go on. So now my question(s).

I realize that the Blackberry Storm is coming around sometime in November. (My guess is the November 15th/16th date). So because I've had so many problems with my Curve, I want a different device. They as in Verizon have offered me, Treos, Blackberry WE's & Pearls, and at the bottom of the list, WM devices. I don't want any of those. I want a Blackberry Storm.

When the Storm drops, is there any possibility of me being able to get it at a very discounted price? Honestly, I have no problem canceling my service and moving to T-Mobile. Their service isn't horrible in town, but if Verizon isn't willing to accommodate my needs then I feel my business is better else where. I've been a customer for almost 10 years, so I'm hoping that we'll be able to work something out.

CSR's: What do you think my next step should be?
    Last edited by Lil Blackk; 10-26-08 at 01:58 PM.
    10-26-08 01:56 PM
    You might want to post this on the Ask the VZW Rep, first thread in the VZW section.

What your asking does not seem unreasonable. From what I know of VZW you have to go through three of the same device in a year before you can switch phones. I would shoot for the stars and see what happens, you can always lower your offer. I would have in the back of my mind what is acceptable. It also might be worth stopping in at a VZW store to get their opinion. If things don't go well, then you can use the TMO word.
    10-26-08 02:16 PM
    Lil Blackk, while I feel for you I can tell you VZW will not give you a Storm at any discounted price unless you qualify for it through an upgrade, as any other provider wouldn't give out their biggest release of the year. All of your problems sound like they could be memory related, have you looked into this alerady? VZW will continue to give you Curves and as they have, offer new devices if issue persist. Now, if you have had the phone for a year and a half as stated above, you should qualify for an anual upgrade (given you are the primary line) and can recieve new customer pricing on the Storm.
    10-26-08 02:36 PM
    If you have had the phone over a year, then you might be eligible for the annual upgrade. This entitles you to promotional pricing if you sign a new 2 year contract. If not, you can argue the case that youve received defective phones, and the manager on duty should be able to give you promotional pricing regardless. Worse case scenario, use the old "Im switching" trick. Itll get most managers [good ones] to change their mind quick. Were supposed to keep customers, at all costs. Good luck.
    10-26-08 03:12 PM
    Im going thru the same problem right now as we speak. I am on my 3rd device because they keep sending me re furbished phones and actually I came to find out that the last phone they sent me was a used phone!!! Well, I had originally gone thru this same problem with a treo before this and they offered me the curve for free after going back and forth with them for a while. This was back in june when I received the brand new curve. This all started with the curve due to the battery latch button broke and instead of fixing the phone which I would have been more then happy with that, they cant fix the phone and started sending me more problematic phones. Well, I was on the phone with a nice customer service rep and I explained my situation and told her that I wanted the storm when that came out instead of getting more problematic curves and she said they would not be able to accomodate me and are willing to lose a customer of 4 years with outstanding payment history with multiple lines on the account due to already upgrading me to a curve back in june. I told them I was gonna just cancel and go to ATT to get a Bold on Nov 4th and she was like, well ok sir, just call me and we would be happy to assist you with cancelling your account and it would be $90 ETA per line
    10-26-08 03:51 PM
    how have you had the curve for a year and a half on vzw?
    10-26-08 04:46 PM
    Im going thru the same problem right now as we speak. I am on my 3rd device because they keep sending me re furbished phones and actually I came to find out that the last phone they sent me was a used phone!!! Well, I had originally gone thru this same problem with a treo before this and they offered me the curve for free after going back and forth with them for a while. This was back in june when I received the brand new curve. This all started with the curve due to the battery latch button broke and instead of fixing the phone which I would have been more then happy with that, they cant fix the phone and started sending me more problematic phones. Well, I was on the phone with a nice customer service rep and I explained my situation and told her that I wanted the storm when that came out instead of getting more problematic curves and she said they would not be able to accomodate me and are willing to lose a customer of 4 years with outstanding payment history with multiple lines on the account due to already upgrading me to a curve back in june. I told them I was gonna just cancel and go to ATT to get a Bold on Nov 4th and she was like, well ok sir, just call me and we would be happy to assist you with cancelling your account and it would be $90 ETA per line
    It shouldnt have been handled in that way. As an employee I can tell you we try our best to kee all customers with us. Seeing that your phone has been constantly replaced, the manager on duty at your local store should have done under his discretion an exception for you in order to upgrade to another phone, or replace yours with a brand new curve. I could understand them saying no to doing it for the Storm, as it will be a high demand phone, or maybe telling you that at first they cant but you can come later on but for them to just blow you off and even impulse you to leave is not the proper procedure. I suggest you find out that reps name and put in a complaint and then speak to the manager on duty at your local store, explain your previous experiences with replacement phones and customer service, and odds are he will grant you an upgrade to a new phone or maybe even the storm when it comes out!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    10-26-08 04:49 PM
    I don't know how others feel but this story is made up. Sounds like the OP just doesn't want to pay full retail.

The reason I say this is because the Curve has not even been out (Verizon) for a year and a half. It came out in May of 08.

I'm not buying it. (The story that is)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 05:41 PM
    I don't know how others feel but this story is made up. Sounds like the OP just doesn't want to pay full retail.

The reason I say this is because the Curve has not even been out (Verizon) for a year and a half. It came out in May of 08.

Ha! Good catch Balloon.
    10-26-08 05:47 PM
    i hate people who think that they deserve something because of something that has happened.

when i was younger i broke some kids yoyo by accident, i told him id get him a new one, hes like no, your gonna get me an even better one, i told him to **** off and didn't buy him ****.
    10-26-08 06:24 PM

that's what i was saying up there! unless he doesn't know what kind of phone he has, this is bull honkey.
    10-26-08 06:28 PM
    that's what i was saying up there! unless he doesn't know what kind of phone he has, this is bull honkey.

Gosh darn right is bull honky! I think customers just don't realize where companies like VZW make and lose money. They charge you out the nose because they lose a fortune on devices. They provide the warranty program as a service to the customer, it cost them alot of money to refurbish phones. If VZW required you to buy a 3rd party phone before activation and refused to service it after activation (they would lose alot of customers), but their profit would be out of this world!
    10-26-08 06:35 PM
    Gosh darn right is bull honky! I think customers just don't realize where companies like VZW make and lose money. They charge you out the nose because they lose a fortune on devices. They provide the warranty program as a service to the customer, it cost them alot of money to refurbish phones. If VZW required you to buy a 3rd party phone before activation and refused to service it after activation (they would lose alot of customers), but their profit would be out of this world!
    As a VZW rep [like yourself] I caught it as having a faulty device. Its not uncommon for customers [in any company] to get refurbished units, which can have their issues. But everyone is right, the Curve has not been out over a year yet.

Hmm, Who knows....
    10-26-08 06:43 PM
    As a VZW rep [like yourself] I caught it as having a faulty device. Its not uncommon for customers [in any company] to get refurbished units, which can have their issues. But everyone is right, the Curve has not been out over a year yet.

Hmm, Who knows....
    Yes I agree. However, as a VZW rep, you also know how often customer's stories fail to hold up and the truth behind many FRUs. Also, while management does always have the "option" to do M2s, some stores have smaller discretionary budgets and accomedating a request for a new curve upgrade is simply never an option.
    10-26-08 06:49 PM
    Yep - I have countless times when a deivce is replaced and it did not have to be. I have seen replacements have the same issue as the orignal device, this really pisses off the customer.

Example of a custoemr I dealt with last friday. Customer has been through:

2-treo 650
    3- treo 700W
    4-treo 700WX
    2- tero 755P
    2- treo centro 690P

Then VZW puts her into a Motorola Q9C and the customer has a MAC! WHY! all replacenmts have been for pretty much the same reasons. Bad devices? I doubt it. customer habits, most likely.

As a last resort we offered ger BB, She declined as she does not want data.

VZW bent over backwards and could not resolve her problem, time to cut the loss. This customer was giving VZW $40 a month for her service.
    10-26-08 06:58 PM
    Great example lastraid, $40 bucks a month to VZW and 13 devices provided to the customer.
    10-26-08 07:16 PM
    First of all I would like to say thank you to those of you who actually took the time to add your knowledge/input.

Second of all, some of you are correct: I haven't had VERIZONS Curve for 1 1/2 years. I've been using a Curve for a year plus. Only about half that time has been Verizon. (I gave my T-Mo service/Curve to a family member to be with Verizon).

If you think this story is made up, so be it. Why would I waste my time posting a thread such as this, only for enjoyment? Regardless of what some may think, the reality of it is I've gone through three Curves from Verizon. I can't afford to lose time switching devices every x amount of weeks.

Do you honestly think I give a damn if Verizon replaces Curves left and right? Verizon is robbing it's customers on many levels, so you're right; I don't feel bad for having three Curves replaced. Verizon's rich and they can afford to replace them left and right, so keep letting them do it.

I'm not asking for a free Storm, I'm asking for a discounted price due to the many, many inconveniences I've had with the Curve(s).

PS: Verizon should be bending over backwards and taking it in the *** for me. I have 5 phones on my family plan, and pay more than $450 a month! I've been a loyal Verizon customer for 9 1/2 years going on 10, and I've never paid a bill late. So yes -- they should be kissing my *** every single chance they get.
    Last edited by Lil Blackk; 10-27-08 at 06:40 PM.
    10-27-08 06:38 PM
    PSS: Get a load of this...In the time that I had my T-Mobile Curve, I didn't have to replace it once. Hmm...Shouldn't that tell you something? Yes, Verizon has the best network, but I don't think they always have the best solutions to customers problems.

I've been shipped out "replacement" phones before that still have the scratches on them from the previous owner. What kind of bull**** is that?
    10-27-08 06:44 PM
    :::grabbing some popcorn:::
    10-27-08 07:23 PM
    :::grabbing some popcorn:::
    I'm glad you've decided to watch the show.
    10-27-08 07:46 PM
    PSS: Get a load of this...In the time that I had my T-Mobile Curve, I didn't have to replace it once. Hmm...Shouldn't that tell you something? Yes, Verizon has the best network, but I don't think they always have the best solutions to customers problems.

I've been shipped out "replacement" phones before that still have the scratches on them from the previous owner. What kind of bull**** is that?
    Here is an option that might work for you if you do not like the phones from VZW. Take your broken phone under the MFG warr and send it to RIM for repair. This way you can 4-6 weeks to get it back. REFURBISHED!, but you get your phone back maybe you might even get refurb from RIM. Oh yes, clean from any of your data, as they will flash it most likely. Then again you could wipe before sending it. Then it two might stop working agian after a few weeks. At least with VZW they honor the mfg warr and will continue to do so and get you back up and running 1-3 days rather than 4-6 weeks.

Just an option.
    10-27-08 07:49 PM
    Here is an option that might work for you if you do not like the phones from VZW. Take your broken phone under the MFG warr and send it to RIM for repair. This way you can 4-6 weeks to get it back. REFURBISHED!, but you get your phone back maybe you might even get refurb from RIM. Oh yes, clean from any of your data, as they will flash it most likely. Then again you could wipe before sending it. Then it two might stop working agian after a few weeks. At least with VZW they honor the mfg warr and will continue to do so and get you back up and running 1-3 days rather than 4-6 weeks.

Just an option.
    I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to say. What I'm getting is: I can send the phone to RIM and it can take up to 6 weeks to be fixed and shipped back. Or I can go through Verizon and it would take 1-3 days? I haven't thought of this option, and I think I'll call Verizon now and see what my best chances are. (This is the 3rd call within a week ).

Thank you for your input, and I appreciate you not jumping on my mistakes.

Thumbs up to you!
    10-27-08 07:59 PM
    I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to say. What I'm getting is: I can send the phone to RIM and it can take up to 6 weeks to be fixed and shipped back. Or I can go through Verizon and it would take 1-3 days? I haven't thought of this option, and I think I'll call Verizon now and see what my best chances are. (This is the 3rd call within a week ).

Thank you for your input, and I appreciate you not jumping on my mistakes.

Thumbs up to you!
    Let me clairfy.

1-3 days for a replacement from VZW, not your phone and you send back the defective to VZW. If you go though RIM you send your device to them, I think at your expense and it takes up to 6 weeks to get your phone back.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-27-08 at 09:25 PM.
    10-27-08 08:58 PM
    Let me clairfy.

1-3 days for a replacement from VZW, not your phone and you send back the defective to VZW. If you go though RIM you send your device to them, I think at your expense and it takes up to 6 weeks to get your phone back.
    Okay...What you're explaining is what I've done the past two times. If worse comes to worse and this current phone keeps acting up, I'll just go back to my 8830 World Edition until the Storm comes out.
    Last edited by Lil Blackk; 10-27-08 at 10:04 PM.
    10-27-08 10:02 PM
    In you original post you said you have gone through 2 replacement curves and you are on the 3rd, but you implied it was all through VZW (yes, when you didn't say you had tmobile, you implied they were all with vzw)....and now you've been through 3 curves on VZW after someone called you out about the length of time the phone has been with VZW and then you get mad about it. Really?

Honestly, to me it sounds like another case of a phone that a customer doesn't know how to use properly. If it starts acting up, then they think there is something wrong when usually they jacked it up somehow and then don't want to bother taking the time to learn their device and fix it.

I had one guy bring a curve back the other day. He was pitching a fit because he couldn't make calls. It took me 2 seconds to find out that he didn't have the connection to the mobile network turned on. I told him what the problem was and he still tried to act like it was the phones fault.

I know there are some people that truly have manufacture issues with phones, but most of the so-called manufacture issues are really customer misuse, abuse or misunderstanding.
    10-28-08 01:05 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD