I posted this in the vzw "ask a rep" forum, but I'm not sure it's working anymore, so I'll post it here. I have a friend who has vzw and he's in the NAVY. While he was out at sea, his wife left him and they divorced. Unfortunately, she had a blackberry on their account and now he has both phones and doesn't need but one. Is there any way that he can get out of that second phone without paying a penalty?
    04-19-10 11:30 PM
    I'm not a rep, and I no longer work for VZW. Years ago, it was possible to suspend a line and just pay a lower "maintenance" charge (like $9 or $15 per month or something) through the end of the contract.

Unfortunately, he could have easily deactivated the line when he initially deployed with no penalty by just faxing a copy of his orders in..now that he's back I don't know if/how VZW can/will accommodate him. Maybe they'll cut him some slack, or suspend the line for him. That's all I can think of.
    04-20-10 12:44 AM
    I posted this in the vzw "ask a rep" forum, but I'm not sure it's working anymore, so I'll post it here. I have a friend who has vzw and he's in the NAVY. While he was out at sea, his wife left him and they divorced. Unfortunately, she had a blackberry on their account and now he has both phones and doesn't need but one. Is there any way that he can get out of that second phone without paying a penalty?
    Is he still in the Navy? If he is still overseas then he could get it canceled with no ETF.. If he is not and they will not let him out of the contract he could get an old ESN and active it and drop the plan down to a $20 save plan.

~Archer
    04-20-10 04:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure that nowadays the suspension suspends the contract too, so if you ha e 15 months left and suspend for 15 months...even if you remove the suspension you'll still have 15 months left.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 07:43 PM
    I'm pretty sure that nowadays the suspension suspends the contract too, so if you ha e 15 months left and suspend for 15 months...even if you remove the suspension you'll still have 15 months left.

Depends if it is suspended with or without billing... ofc in this situation I think he wants without billing.. and that does extend the contract.

~Archer
    04-21-10 11:57 AM
    Depends if it is suspended with or without billing... ofc in this situation I think he wants without billing.. and that does extend the contract.

~Archer
    You're still stuck paying for x months left on your contract. My best friend did this, you pay $15 / 3 months, but each time you do it, it extends your contract 3 months. Unless he is still overseas is is stuck with both lines for the length of the contract.

The best bet would be what was suggested earlier, putting a dumbphone on the plan so you don't have to pay for the data plan.
    04-21-10 01:39 PM
    If you are under contract I don't think you can do that.
    04-21-10 02:47 PM
    An assumption of liability is another option. Someone else takes on the remainder of the contract.

04-21-10 05:55 PM
    Just deactivate that phone and change the plane to just the basic, you wont get out of the remaining time of the contract but it will only cost you $10 a month compared to what you would pay for the BB.
    04-29-10 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD