finally convinced my best friend to go blackberry. he just got his curve (not the new one) from vzw and is having trouble setting it up. i've been trying to field his questions and refer to crackberry as to help him out, but seeing as i'm an hour or so away, using a different service and computer (mac vs pc), i'm at a loss. i can't bear for him to keep telling me how awful his new phone is, so i'm taking matters into my own hands!

the biggest problem right now is the browser...he doesn't have one. i'm not sure why, because mine was there when i first got it, but it must be a vzw thing. i had him check his firewall and resend his host routing tables or whatever they are called. he sent them about 20 minutes ago or more and still no browser. told him to send his service books from the website but this didn't work because, in his words...

"the bb internet website says it's registered under a different carrier but how is that possible when this number has always been with verizon and i just got it today?"

really wish i could be there to help him set it up. sigh. anyway. please help! again, can't stand to hear him badmouth bb for a moment longer! i never had these setup troubles!
    06-16-09 10:28 PM
    Is he nowhere near a store? They can give him some hands-on lessons! Plus I know my hubby had issues on 2 phones now where the browser wasn't there, I have no memory of the cause, but I know he went into the store and 10 minutes later, it was fixed.
    06-16-09 10:30 PM
    also...is creating a bb email address necessary for set up? he says he really doesn't want one.
    06-16-09 10:30 PM
    Is he nowhere near a store? They can give him some hands-on lessons! Plus I know my hubby had issues on 2 phones now where the browser wasn't there, I have no memory of the cause, but I know he went into the store and 10 minutes later, it was fixed.
    sigh, i think there's a store close-ish to him, but it's 11:30 at night and he's impatient! and waiting until morning means that i have to listen to this blasphemy for 10 more hours!
    06-16-09 10:32 PM
    sigh, i think there's a store close-ish to him, but it's 11:30 at night and he's impatient! and waiting until morning means that i have to listen to this blasphemy for 10 more hours!
    LOL - I hear you on that - it does get really annoying. I told hubby I am not answering any more bb questions for him. I am not some kind of RIM tech support employee.

He doesn't have to set up a vzw.blackberry.com email address - tell him to go to the set up icon and it will take him through all the steps. If he stays on your nerves tell him the phone is too smart for him. That usually gets people to stop complaining.
    06-16-09 10:34 PM
    tell him to go to options > advanced options > host routing table then click menu key and register. he should recieve a txt confirmation sayin his bb is registered with the network and then do a battery pull and that should show the browser on his fone..just to be sure have him click menu and then menu again to show all apps and see if it was sumhow hidden or smething hope it helps
    06-16-09 10:40 PM
    PS - If all else fails, there's the manual.
    06-16-09 10:45 PM
    LOL - I hear you on that - it does get really annoying. I told hubby I am not answering any more bb questions for him. I am not some kind of RIM tech support employee.

He doesn't have to set up a vzw.blackberry.com email address - tell him to go to the set up icon and it will take him through all the steps. If he stays on your nerves tell him the phone is too smart for him. That usually gets people to stop complaining.
    haha. well. the phone probably IS too smart for him...he just asked me how to get the back off of it when i told him to do a battery pull. haha.
    06-16-09 10:45 PM
    tell him to go to options > advanced options > host routing table then click menu key and register. he should recieve a txt confirmation sayin his bb is registered with the network and then do a battery pull and that should show the browser on his fone..just to be sure have him click menu and then menu again to show all apps and see if it was sumhow hidden or smething hope it helps
    as i wrote in my original post, the first thing he tried was registering the host routing tables. he didn't receive a confirmation. he just did a battery pull after about 30 minutes of no text and then the text appeared...but no browser. hmm. should he just wait it out? another battery pull maybe? or should he resend them?
    06-16-09 10:50 PM
    But registering is different than resending host routing tables. But here's my question - has he gone thru the Set-up wizard yet? I'm just asking because you asked about the email address issue as well. Registering won't do much if he hasn't set himself up a username and password through BB.
    06-16-09 10:53 PM
    well surprise surprise...you CAN teach an impatient dog new tricks! don't know what happened, but the browser appeared an hour after doing the host routing tables and going through set up wiz!
    06-16-09 10:57 PM
    well surprise surprise...you CAN teach an impatient dog new tricks! don't know what happened, but the browser appeared an hour after doing the host routing tables and going through set up wiz!
    hahaha... tell him good luck with his new phone and patience is a virtue! I'll bet there's something he isn't telling like that browser showed up a while ago or he did something different but he doesn't want to tell you!
    06-16-09 10:59 PM
    hahaha... tell him good luck with his new phone and patience is a virtue! I'll bet there's something he isn't telling like that browser showed up a while ago or he did something different but he doesn't want to tell you!
    probably. he's DEFINITELY one of those friends...haha
    06-16-09 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD