Free tethering via WiFi.
    What about us Crackberry Abusers????

Verizon cuts Palm Pre, Pixi Plus prices - Yahoo! News
    04-01-10 07:03 PM
    I know!!! And I'm pissed. I might finally get around to using Tether (which I bought during the $20 sale) without guilt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 07:11 PM
    Yeah not a fair move for other smartphone users. Sounds like Pre/Pixi sales are just in the dumps now.
    04-01-10 07:20 PM
    Verizon does things like that just to make sure there is still something for people to whine about. ;-)
    04-02-10 10:39 AM
    Verizon does things like that just to make sure there is still something for people to whine about. ;-)
    Well the reasoning behind it is questionable. Why make customers pay for tethering when they are offering the SAME service, but even more enhanced for free?

I don't think it is whining, but just a legit response to the situation.
    04-02-10 06:51 PM
    I'd say its less to do with Verizon and more to do with Palm, although both are in it together. Palm probably absorbs some of the cost Verizon would have attained by the tethering plan. All a ploy to boost sales.
    04-02-10 07:41 PM
    But the Pre and the Pixi still are lacking.
    What kind of phone doesn't do voice dialing over BT? DOH!
    Palm has missed the boat on this for every phone in the last 5 years.
    The Treo 650,700/700W and they added to the 800.
    Palm marketing just doesn't get it. They NEED free tethering to move that crappy phone.
    04-02-10 08:34 PM
    Palm marketing just doesn't get it. They NEED free tethering to move that crappy phone.
    The Pre Plus is actually a pretty great device. I can assure you the functionality and apps rivals any BlackBerry on the market.

The Droid will not do voice dialing via BT either. So... that kinda phone.
    04-03-10 01:03 AM
    yeah the pre is an excellent phone. my only gripe is the build quality could be a little better. but the OS is the best out there as far as I'm concerned
    04-03-10 10:02 AM
    does anyone know the speed of the internet thru the mobile hotspot? I am thinking about getting a pre cause my storm is annoying the **** out of me. I carry a netbook with me for access to my quickbooks and would love to have wifi right in my truck if i need to email an invoice or statement.
    04-03-10 10:47 AM
    I'd say its less to do with Verizon and more to do with Palm, although both are in it together. Palm probably absorbs some of the cost Verizon would have attained by the tethering plan. All a ploy to boost sales.
    Exactly, nailed it.
    04-03-10 04:50 PM
    does anyone know the speed of the internet thru the mobile hotspot? I am thinking about getting a pre cause my storm is annoying the **** out of me. I carry a netbook with me for access to my quickbooks and would love to have wifi right in my truck if i need to email an invoice or statement.
    I got the Pre today simply because the mobile hotspot is a great deal.

I took it to a coffee house here in CT, connected my laptop through the mobile hotspot, and did a speedtest on speedtest.net. Got download speed of 1.5 mbps, and upload of 250 kbps. It's basically mobile basic DSL.

If you want me to test anything else, PM me and I'll try to help.

I will say this, though, the battery life SUCKS! We on blackberries are spoiled.
    04-06-10 05:02 PM
    I'm thinking of dumping my bb for the prix due to this.

04-07-10 09:09 PM
    Its sick so far testing it out today and the palm is bring speeds of 1.36 Download and near 180kbps up. But just like Mr mcdonald says the battery life horrid. Pretty nice though considering some pay 59.99 a month for mobile broadband cards and get the same service I get but with a Palm Pre for no extra cost
    04-07-10 09:45 PM
    probably just to get the sales up as there doing horrible
    04-07-10 11:37 PM
    OH **** SON!

I was going to get this phone when it came out, got a basic phone instead. Before 30 days was up I went back to my 8330. Right now I'm unhappy with my web at home because the dsl here is over priced... so I have the cheap plan 768kb.

Currently it's the only choice I have but I should have 10MB + cable here by the end of the year. Now they drop the Pre down, and I can get the same speed web anywhere I go? For the same $30 I hate paying just to have a Blackberry?

That decides it. Palm Pre Plus coming up!
    04-08-10 01:13 AM
    only reason they r doing this is b.c sales r low b.c ******** verizon salesmen are taught to pretty much only push the droid.
    04-08-10 06:20 AM
    You sir are an *****.

Droid doesn't do by over BT.... SO? Are you saying the droid sucks too?
    Hardware is lacking in the pre n pixi but have you seen the 8530s build? exactly. enuff said.

U use a storm II for god sakes. u have no real browser. Multitasking on the pre rapes BB. You have a non-touchscreen OS on a touchscreen phone. ur emails are truncated. And dont get me started on the build quality on the Storm n Storm II. Storm II is suppose to be soo much better, and thats why verizon has had to still do so many exchanges b.c of that screen.

the only thing the storm II beats the pre in is maybe battery life.
    04-08-10 06:23 AM
    OH **** SON!

That decides it. Palm Pre Plus coming up!
    Just don't forget.. You have a 5 gig/month cap on usage with the mobile hotspot. It's a great compliment to your home broadband.

04-08-10 06:38 AM
    Realistically.......how much is 5gb a month? What would I have to do to surpass that amount?

04-09-10 02:48 PM
    Realistically.......how much is 5gb a month? What would I have to do to surpass that amount?

Stream slingbox for 18 hours ...

Actually I went away for a weekend and fell asleep with slingbox streaming over blackberry tether. I think it stayed on from 8pm (when I started) until 11 the next morning. That used 3.5 gigs.

Realistically, for the vast majority of what you'd do (e-mail, web surf, youtube, download a few songs), you shouldn't even be concerned. If you download a LOT of youtube, or like to use netflix, or your slingbox, then you might be concerned. Verizon makes it very easy to track your usage (myverizon and #3282).
    04-09-10 03:35 PM
    only reason they r doing this is b.c sales r low b.c ******** verizon salesmen are taught to pretty much only push the droid.
    LOL you have no idea what you are talking about. Good try at attacking Verizon reps, most of us wont be bothered by a comment like that because we properly educated.
    04-10-10 10:00 AM
    Stream slingbox for 18 hours ...

Actually I went away for a weekend and fell asleep with slingbox streaming over blackberry tether. I think it stayed on from 8pm (when I started) until 11 the next morning. That used 3.5 gigs.

Realistically, for the vast majority of what you'd do (e-mail, web surf, youtube, download a few songs), you shouldn't even be concerned. If you download a LOT of youtube, or like to use netflix, or your slingbox, then you might be concerned. Verizon makes it very easy to track your usage (myverizon and #3282).
    Ok...the only thing I'm really gonna use it for is to email from Quickbooks...no reason to use it at home.
    04-10-10 01:57 PM
    Kinda weird... I realized when i dialled the #data that it puts all the usage into one category... Is there a way to seperate the broadband connect thru pc compared to just regular usage(email,browsing) on the phone?
    04-12-10 12:00 AM
    Kinda weird... I realized when i dialled the #data that it puts all the usage into one category... Is there a way to seperate the broadband connect thru pc compared to just regular usage(email,browsing) on the phone?
    Weird, when I do #data, I get 3 texts, one for messaging use, one for data use, and one for mobile broadband use.

There is always myverizon.
    04-12-10 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD