02-08-08 12:55 PM
43 12
tools
    I have never seen anything be perfect from the start. You should see it more as a step in the right direction. Its not stupid...its just not perfect. Its better than "V" crippling the phones so you cant IM. They are trying to provide to do what the other do in their own way. Anyone that unhappy should jump ship. Im sure there is a PERFECT carrier out there somewhere
    No he's right. It's stupid. It's just another revenue stream for Verizon to charge for SMS since they're giving away unlimited data. There's no reason why IM should ever have to go through SMS on a phone that's internet capable. V has always had IM on all their units and have always used the opportunity to charge you for it in a way that's making them more money rather than letting consumers use their phones the way they want to. Not to say V is the only carrier that does it or any other carrier is better or worse, they all do something to screw over the customer in the name of profits, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. Verizon really is notorious though of crippling certain functionality solely to make more money. Bluetooth is the perfect example, since a lot of their phones had OBEX turned off so you had to email the files, which of course costs .25 each, etc. etc. etc. GPS on the Blackberry, and now charging SMS for data IMs. It's better than it was before but it's still "stupid"
    01-15-08 07:38 AM
    My point is that you can say its stupid if you want, but for some reason we are all still here. So if you participate in what you call stupid, as Mr. Gump once stated, "stupid is as stupid does".

Yeah they try and squeeze ever penny from us, but this is all about making money to them. They look at their bottom line and nothing else, they are not concerned with hooking us up so to speak.

People use the "stupid" service and V makes money.

So like i said before jump ship, or start a boycott of the service and get everyone that uses it to stop(impossible). Thats the only way to get it changed.
    01-15-08 08:49 AM
    I think if you take a technology and shift it's core fundementals around in an effort to charge something for it, it's shifty as ****.

That's basically no different then any of us downloading the free distros of Linux and then selling them to people.

Now I'm wondering if there's any GNU licensing or any other type of licensing for this IM technology. If there is and Verizon is breaking it to charge SMS for a data IM, then someone needs to be notified. I think I'm going to go do a little bit of reading and see what I can find.

It's one thing to charge for a client/software to do the IMs, it's another to charge for something like the IMs themselves. It's double charging. They hit you once for the data and then for SMS.... which SMS is not even the same protocol used for these type of IMs. That's what ticks me off.
    01-15-08 11:40 AM
    Just an FYI...yesterday afternoon I revisited the VZ app page on my BB browser and the 8830 was listed. I downloaded it and it works great. I use AOL and Yahoo on it. I'm not a Windows Live user. Its the same exact app I used to use on my old Verizon LG 8300 with Get it Now. So far So good.

T
    01-17-08 04:16 PM
    I just downloaded this app, and it works great. I have used it on AIM, MSN and Yahoo with no hickups!!!! If we could get Verizon to straighten out this GPS issue, I would be ok.
    01-17-08 06:56 PM
    they don't have it for the 8703e yet.....
    01-18-08 01:29 AM
    I'm not impressed in the least bit...

AOL IM, Windows LIVE Messenger, and Yahoo are NOT SMS technology applications - they are internet-based connections. However, Verizon has apparently retooled this application to send and receive via SMS - not via the unlimited DATA plan that I already have. Each message sent/received in .15 cents. So, unless you have an unlimited TXT messaging plan, this is STUPID!

Per the directions and usage notes:
    1) application is FREE (woohoo!)
    2) Download charges apply per your plan.
    3) "SMS charges apply for every message sent and received. An unlimited messaging plan is strongly recommended."

Someone else already said it - this is just another example of Verizon trying to nickle and dime their customers to death!
    1) GPS is non-functional to third-party applications
    2) IM is charged per message received/sent
    3) Unlimited Data Plan is not really unlimited...

*sigh* but, they DO have the best coverage, at least here in Cincy.
    01-18-08 09:48 AM
    Why bother downloading Mobile IM when you can just use IM+, JiveTalk, etc. on data plan? Besides, I would not pay extra for unlimited TXT messaging because I text with other Verizon customers all time.
    01-18-08 04:48 PM
    Haha, see someone else said it's "Stupid". I'm not the only one.

It would be nice if there was a FREE client that does what Trillian does at no additional cost. Yes, I am cheap.
    01-18-08 06:10 PM
    Haha, see someone else said it's "Stupid". I'm not the only one.

It would be nice if there was a FREE client that does what Trillian does at no additional cost. Yes, I am cheap.
    Agreed. I love love LOVE Trillian! I have her running right now on my PC.

(PS: I'll echo the "stupid" sentiment, also.)
    01-23-08 03:17 PM
    Why bother downloading Mobile IM when you can just use IM+, JiveTalk, etc. on data plan? Besides, I would not pay extra for unlimited TXT messaging because I text with other Verizon customers all time.
    Jake, FYI, I would look into your text messaging package. Unless I'm reading this wrong, there is no "IN" texting. You pay as you go unless you have an unlimited plan.
    Enter your location

Look at the two different BB Data plans. One doesn't and one does have Unlimited text.
    From Verizon's web site:

Text Messaging

Fun, easy way to stay in touch. TXT Messaging is a two-way text messaging service. Send and receive text messages of up to 160 characters right on your two-way messaging-capable phone. $0.15 for messages received and $0.15 for messages sent. Bundle plans also available. Sending and receiving text messages does not deduct from a calling plan's airtime allowance.

Not available in some areas.
    01-24-08 07:12 AM
    @ Member_No.1

I am on my family's voice plan, which is quite old. Thus, I have a separate text messaging package in addition to data plan. I have unlimited "IN" text messages plus # of messages to non-Verizon phones. I don't text to non-Verizon phones often so I get cheap one available.
    01-24-08 10:41 PM
    Any IM's from this app will count as Non-IN txt. Doesn't matter what the person is. If you send an IM from this app that's a txt message, if you receive an IM in this app that's a txt message. So, you're using that extra non-Verizon # count when you use this app. Just be aware of that.
    01-24-08 11:43 PM
    Any IM's from this app will count as Non-IN txt. Doesn't matter what the person is. If you send an IM from this app that's a txt message, if you receive an IM in this app that's a txt message. So, you're using that extra non-Verizon # count when you use this app. Just be aware of that.
    Exactly. Got to read the fine print...
    01-25-08 01:27 AM
    @ Member_No.1

I am on my family's voice plan, which is quite old. Thus, I have a separate text messaging package in addition to data plan. I have unlimited "IN" text messages plus # of messages to non-Verizon phones. I don't text to non-Verizon phones often so I get cheap one available.
    Jake, that's a little clearer. The way you made it sound in you other post is because you were texting Verison customers you could text all you wanted for free. Sounded like you didn't have Unlimited Texting.
    Are you paying extra for the unlimited text on you old plan? People with new plans on Verizon might not have that option, and get confused.

Like stated, if you use the IM app from Verizon, it counts as text messages. So if you plan on using it, get an unlimited text plan.
    01-25-08 05:18 AM
    JMO: VZW chat client apps = garbage
    01-25-08 06:01 AM
    This plays a little into the existing subject line since it's about SMS usage and costs. The True Bandwidth Cost Of SMS - Nice profit margin you've got there... - dslreports.com

I found it somewhat interesting at how much we're all still being rap** by the carriers. I think if Verizon could find a way to "legally" charge for it, we'd get charged a fee for carrying the phone.
    01-29-08 03:48 PM
    You know, the Whole Foods, your favorite yuppy drink stores, or your video game makers make far more than Verizon Wireless.

VZ's last year's profit was at $6.2 billion and had 239K employees. That's about $26K per employee. Compare to your Whole Foods, who had $2.3 billion on profit @ 41K employees... came around at $55K per employee.

The point, there are those of you who knowingly spend extra money on Hyrids vehicles or $20 dinner.. yet some people complain about $10 here and there for a month! People disrespect value's of others' work. This is an alarming thing for consumers to do. There is far more consumer-to-company fraud than company-to-consumer fraud, by significant magnitude. If you don't want to pay for SMS IM cost, you can buy Jive Talk or whatever for $20 and get over it. It doesn't matter whether it cost $0 or $100 to operate SMS for Verizon. If customers didn't want it, they wouldn't be selling it. Apparently VZW thinks that there is demands for this software @ this price.

I don't get this attitude of demonizing companies. It's very vapid, populists, unsophisticated, and know-nothing attitude to have. And these are the same people who get really cheery when their house evaluation goes up by $10K a year but don't like to pay that evaluation in form of property tax. They want all of the goodness without the associated consequences. It's very bad attitude. This type of greed & selfishness is so prevalent, it's just sad.

This pervasive attitude and expectation of wanting to get something is just bad. And these are the same people who do not give, they want others to give but not them. And... they do charitable works or be moral by-proxy, let others do it. They evaluate their goodness by what they think of things... instead of doing things... They are the talkers, hopes, changes, or whatever vapidness they might spew.

No body is forcing anyone of you to get with VZW or purchase their SMS-ed IM. You don't have to... and it's not required. You can download Yahoo chat or google talk client to do the same thing, probably better and less costly. You don't have to buy into VZW's SMS-IM if the cost is $1,000 per month. Let them go ahead and charge $1,000 a month, they aren't forcing you to buy it or use it.

People, if you are economically inept, get yourself a book called "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell.
    02-08-08 12:55 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD