02-08-08 12:55 PM
43 12
tools
    Just seen this on my BB browser, Verizon has just launched a Free Mobile IM. Well.. Its free if you have unlimited Data and Text plan. I downloaded this and works fine! It lets you have AIM, MSN, and Yahoo. So here is just one more reason that Verizon is the best.....for today at least!

Click
    12-28-07 07:01 PM
    IM shouldn't cost anyone a dime who has unlimited data.

I refuse to support Verizon because they aren't GSM.
    12-28-07 07:22 PM
    IM shouldn't cost anyone a dime who has unlimited data.

I refuse to support Verizon because they aren't GSM.
    All the way around confused here..... Your response makes no sense. VZW is offering their BB users FREE mobile IM. This Mobile IM gives you AIM, MSN, and Yahoo!. I think, and don't quote me on this. There is only one chat client out there right now for BB users that offers AIM(AOL Instant Messaging) for FREE. So I think this is a pretty big deal to the BB users out there that don't want to pay for JiveTalk that have VZW, just my opinion. I agree with you that if you are referring to IM as a text, then yes, if you pay for a unlimited data plan unlimited text should be bundled in. As for not "supporting" Verizon because they aren't GSM, thats fine. I'm glad that they aren't GSM because I wouldn't have use of my BB at my house or a 20mile radius. I personally hate ATT. I hate that GSM carriers get all the BBs before CDMA carriers just because they are cheaper and easier to make. I also hate when I used my cousins ATT phone when I was talking it sounded like I was in a tin can. We could sit here all day and throw back and forth why one is better then the other, but thats not what this thread is about. Its about VZW giving(for once) their customers a FREE Mobile IM client!

Click
    12-28-07 10:22 PM
    Sure, it makes perfect sense. What I am saying is, it shouldn't be some big announcement to support IM. They should all do it with the unlimited data plans. This shouldn't be a big deal, it should be more like "it's about damn time".

But regardless of the fact that Verizon is offering it, I won't be giving them or any other CDMA carrier my business.
    12-28-07 10:43 PM
    I can agree with you 100% on this! I think it should be a standard! I think we would stand with millions on this on tho! lol

My next question is why do you hate CDMA carriers so much?

Click
    12-28-07 10:46 PM
    GSM is the world standard, 86% of the world uses it. I don't hate CDMA per se I would just rather see one standard used worldwide, I think that would foster more innovation than having to design phones for two different network types.

I'm a network admin by profession - look how much cheaper Ethernet ports have gotten since it crowded out all the other LAN technologies.
    12-28-07 10:51 PM
    There again I agree with you 100%. I do like how you can swap from phone to phone with the sim card. See my area is horrible with GSM, Now I know that there will NEVER be 100% coverage everywhere but if they would expand a little more and it wouldn't sound warbled and garbled(don't know if thats the correct spelling) I would think about switching. I only see the CDMA VS GSM getting bigger and bigger. Especially with the starting of the 700MHz action next month.

Click
    12-28-07 10:57 PM
    Careful about the "free" Mobile IM offered by Verizon. It uses text messages, so make sure you have unlimited. Also, the instant messaging doesn't count as IN messaging:

Answers to FAQs
    12-29-07 05:07 AM
    [QUOTE=lawrence.c.lee;93489]Careful about the "free" Mobile IM offered by Verizon. It uses text messages, so make sure you have unlimited.[QUOTE]

I believe I stated that in my first post. Hmmmmm...... lets see......

Just seen this on my BB browser, Verizon has just launched a Free Mobile IM. Well.. Its free if you have unlimited Data and Text plan.
    Yup thought I did.

Click
    12-29-07 07:40 AM
    Can you post the link you used to get to it? Thanks in advance!
    01-01-08 05:07 PM
    There is no link. Just launch your BB browser. It should load to VZW "home page" and then you should see the link to download.

Click
    01-01-08 06:19 PM
    I've changed my home page and I don't have it in bookmarks. Does anyone know the web address for the VZW home page?

I'd love to get this app.

Thanks
    01-02-08 07:31 AM
    I've changed my home page and I don't have it in bookmarks. Does anyone know the web address for the VZW home page?

I'd love to get this app.

Thanks
    http://solutions.vzwshop.com/vzstart/bb/

Click
    01-02-08 07:34 AM
    I kinda wonder if the Mobile IM app would install on a Sprint or TMO BB..... If someone tries let me know!

Click
    01-02-08 07:36 AM
    That was quick. Thanks so much.
    01-02-08 07:36 AM
    JiveTalk isn't the only game in town. There's plenty of other companies that do multichat IM for free. EQO, Nimbuzz, Bing are just three examples (I'm a fan of EQO personally, it does what I need it to do and doesn't use my SMS since I don't have unlimited SMS on my plan nor do I want to pay for it)
    01-02-08 03:31 PM
    So Mr. Leach,
    After using this for a few days, how about a review?

Pros?
    Cons?

I'm not big on AIM, but my daughter uses Yahoo and it would be nice to chat with her.
    01-03-08 12:47 PM
    OK, after a couple days of HEAVY use this is what I have.
    When I first installed it I had a lag issue, so I did the "normal" thing and removed the battery. Problem solved! Its simple to navigate through, went right to AIM logged in and within seconds I was getting IMs. Responding was really simple, I then logged into YAHOO! and was able to use both at the same time. Now I'm not that big of a Windows Live user so I had to create a name for that. One cool thing about this was when I was using all 3 IMs everything else worked flawlessly. One thing I now check is memory since MOST of us are having that memory lose issue. When I install anything that is the first thing I check. This app doesn't take up that much room. Now for the Con.The one MAJOR con I have is the inability to hear the alert when some one sends me a IM or when they respond to a IM. There is the option to have it vibrate and I have the sound/vibrate option checked. All mine does is flash the screen and I have to be paying attention to catch it. So over all I give Mobile IM a solid B. Its fast easy and most important USER FRIENDLY!

Click
    01-03-08 01:42 PM
    Thank you Click for the precise review.
    I'll have to give it a try.
    01-03-08 02:44 PM
    GSM is the world standard, 86% of the world uses it. I don't hate CDMA per se I would just rather see one standard used worldwide, I think that would foster more innovation than having to design phones for two different network types.

I'm a network admin by profession - look how much cheaper Ethernet ports have gotten since it crowded out all the other LAN technologies.
    Do you use metric exclusively because most of the world does? Thanks to the OP for this.
    01-13-08 07:52 PM
    All that should be requried for this software is that you just have unlimited data. This (if it works like Jive, which it should), should have nothing to do with txt message counts against your plan. BTW, did it pull down all your contacts you had in AIM and Yahoo on the PC clients or not?
    01-14-08 10:35 AM
    Does this work on Verizon 8830?? Only download options i get through BB Browser are 8130, 7130e and 7250.

Thanks in advance!
    01-14-08 10:47 AM
    No, not available for 8830 yet. And this app is stupid. Why does it charge for SMS when the messages ARE NOT SMS. It's even limited to SMS sizes (160 characters). This is stupid, AIM/MSN/Yahoo IMs should be just that... DATA IMs!!! Not IMs shifted around to behave as SMSs. Stupid move Verizon.... stupid move.... again.
    01-14-08 12:44 PM
    No, not available for 8830 yet. And this app is stupid. Why does it charge for SMS when the messages ARE NOT SMS. It's even limited to SMS sizes (160 characters). This is stupid, AIM/MSN/Yahoo IMs should be just that... DATA IMs!!! Not IMs shifted around to behave as SMSs. Stupid move Verizon.... stupid move.... again.
    I have never seen anything be perfect from the start. You should see it more as a step in the right direction. Its not stupid...its just not perfect. Its better than "V" crippling the phones so you cant IM. They are trying to provide to do what the other do in their own way. Anyone that unhappy should jump ship. Im sure there is a PERFECT carrier out there somewhere
    01-14-08 02:28 PM
    I haven't found one yet.
    01-14-08 06:38 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD