This may be old news to you guys but I was under the impression, like everyone else it seemed that Verizon completely regulated the use of GPS. That is to say that they would not allow you to use the GPS function unless you were paying 9.99 a month. I agonized over this ridiculous notion for four months now. I finally got the nerve to call Verizon Customer Service and attempt to sweet talk my way to free GPS.

The Rep told me that my gps was not locked. That I could go to options>advanced options>gps and then change e-911 only to location on. She said this was free. She advised me that I could use whatever third party gps app I wanted to. Apparently the VZ Navigator is the only reason for the 9.99 a month charge. I installed GPS logger and Google Maps and I'm good to go. This may be extremely old news to you guys but I have never read anyone's post that pertained to this.
    08-19-09 02:25 PM
    It has been common knowledge that VZW unlocked the GPS starting with OS 4.5 on all their devices. Thanks for contributing tho

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 04:42 PM
    Very old news! Ever since before the Storm was released it was known that it would be the first BB to have full GPS capabilities. Prob a year now.
    08-19-09 04:48 PM
    Dual-mode GPS devices (like the Storm and Tour) can get around VZW's restricted GPS locks. Any device still using only aGPS (like the Curve and 8830) are still locked out of using third party GPS apps. OS 4.5 just gave BBMaps PDE authorization to use VZW's tower information - it did not open up all apps to GPS information. Any app that still requires aGPS will be locked out (even on Storm and Tour).
    08-19-09 04:53 PM
    I had a feeling that this might be something that I was discovering extremely far behind the curve. I had researched this for about four months now and it seemed like everything I read pointed to no for GPS capability for my storm unless you were running VZ Navigator. Sheesh, I thought I was unveiling some innovative information for us Storm folks. Oh well, I'm happy as can be, and I take back everything bad I ever said about the Verizon / GPS Issue. By the way if anyone has not yet tried GPS Logger, it's fantastic!
    08-20-09 02:33 AM
    I am using a fully functional Golf GPS on my Storm right now. It's called NRange and it works great.
    08-30-09 11:05 PM
    Old news. There are a few free gps programs. Nav4all, google maps, and bb maps are just some of them.
    08-30-09 11:19 PM
    old news,
    but new discussion I think.
    lol..
    08-31-09 12:59 AM
    I'm glad, at least, that newer devices are able to use the gps freely. I love my 8330 and have always been very pleased with Verizon's service, especialy as they seem to be the only carrier with decent service here on Marylands Delmarva peninsula.

I would love to be able to freely use the gps on my 8330, at least my next phone upgrade will open this up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD