i want to get a blackberry curve. the thing is, im planning on using mostly (if not all) text/data, and verizon does have an awesome unlimited data plan for 50 a month! however, its 50c a minute... i was wondering, could i dl skype and use voip to make calls without incurring the minutes charges? otherwise, i have to pay 100+ a month for unlimited data and 450 minutes -_-

(i use probably 200 minutes a month, if even)

thanks!
    05-08-09 06:08 PM
    I dont think so.
    05-08-09 06:13 PM
    Um no .
    05-08-09 06:14 PM
    I'd say that's doubtful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 06:24 PM
    you might...but you have to have an acct with skype..i believe to call usa and canada is only like $3 a month. unlimited.
    05-08-09 06:36 PM
    Truthfully, i have noticed sometimes when tower hopping the internet gets spotty (plus the faster you are moving the slower your data connection is)... using skype to make phone calls, you will probably drop more calls then you can believe...

NOW you can tether your phone to your desktop and use the tethered connection to make skype calls from your laptop.. technically you are using verizon's data so it is kinda what you are asking.. but my guess is you mean using the blackberry data on the blackberry to make phone calls instead of wasting minutes
    Last edited by numus; 05-08-09 at 07:10 PM.
    05-08-09 07:06 PM
    I dont think so but good luck.
    05-09-09 07:54 AM
    All Skype clients for blackberry dial out to a local number to connect to the Skype network so without included minutes you will be paying the per minute charge to make Skype calls.
    05-09-09 11:32 AM
    Add the skype out number to your "my circle"
    then every call you make is free from your blackberry

Thats what i do....
    05-12-09 09:03 PM
    Truthfully, i have noticed sometimes when tower hopping the internet gets spotty (plus the faster you are moving the slower your data connection is)... using skype to make phone calls, you will probably drop more calls then you can believe...

NOW you can tether your phone to your desktop and use the tethered connection to make skype calls from your laptop.. technically you are using verizon's data so it is kinda what you are asking.. but my guess is you mean using the blackberry data on the blackberry to make phone calls instead of wasting minutes

While Sprint allows tethering with a data plan (SEP) VZW does not. It is a separate charge.
    05-13-09 08:08 AM

Thats what i do....
    He's trying not to get a cell plan for his BB, so there is no "my circle".
    05-13-09 08:09 AM

Thats what i do....
    Do you mean Skype Out or Skype to Go?

Getting a Skype to Go number is certainly an option, it should just count against your minutes when you get a local number. If you have an unlimited calling plan on Skype, then you wont typically be charged for anything on Skype. A Skype to Go number is certainly cheaper if you plan on using your BB to make international calls though. At least in my case to Mexico and CHile.

News has been circulating that Skype will be releasing a Blackberry application so perhaps it will only use a data plan for calls.
    05-16-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD