11-27-10 07:15 PM
26 12
tools
    Found an 8530 today near the side of the road while I was running.
    Its Verizon branded. No battery, no back cover.

A friend was leaving my house as I got here, was able to put a battery in it and the phone turned on (didnt let it fully boot)

I have ATT and no real need for a VZ blackberry.

With no battery right now and knowing the phone at least works, how can i get it back to its owner? Who I assumed didnt throw it out of a car and somehow it ended up there.

Can I call VZ and give them the ESN to see who it belongs to or something?
    11-17-10 05:31 PM
    Maybe it's been dropped by someone being chased by the FBI and he didn't want his *** being GPS traced. Stay away from it.
    Send it to me, I'll deal with them.
    11-17-10 05:49 PM
    Call up Verizon and provide them with as much information as possible. They will be able to help take the phone off your hands.
    11-17-10 05:51 PM
    Maybe it's been dropped by someone being chased by the FBI and he didn't want his *** being GPS traced. Stay away from it.
    Send it to me, I'll deal with them.
    That is one of the best comments I've read this week!
    11-17-10 05:52 PM
    Take it to a Verizon store and have them look up the owner and they can arrange to return to phone to its owner.
    11-17-10 06:06 PM
    got my hands on a battery. the phone is wiped clean, no contacts. no recent calls, no nothing. weird.
    11-17-10 06:13 PM
    FBI story is looking better and better lol
    11-17-10 06:31 PM
    Turn it in. Also, no one here will assist you in getting it activated, so don't even bother asking...
    11-17-10 06:34 PM
    Turn it into the nearest VZW store or police station. Preferably the store where it has a slight chance of the mystery being solved and not stored away somewhere forever.
    11-17-10 06:39 PM
    I'm taking it to a VZ store this weekend. If they find its on someone's account I'm going to hand it over, I don't really need or want the phone. If for some reason the phone cant be found on an account I'm going to ask SevereDeceit how to get it activated.
    11-17-10 06:58 PM
    If they find its on someone's account I'm going to hand it over, I don't really need or want the phone...
    I don't know if this is how you intended it to sound, but regardless if you do need or want it, it's not yours, someone lost it, and is probably po'd or out the replacement cost for a new one.
    11-18-10 08:08 AM
    Return it, otherwise you will have a paper weight.
    11-18-10 08:13 AM
    Folks,

Why are we SO distrusting? Sounds like the OP plans to do the right thing and take it to Verizon. I'm fairly certain he was kidding about asking SD about activating it.
    11-18-10 10:23 AM
    Been there and heard it before. Some people need a bit of guidance
    11-18-10 10:34 AM
    Folks,

Why are we SO distrusting? Sounds like the OP plans to do the right thing and take it to Verizon. I'm fairly certain he was kidding about asking SD about activating it.
    Just because it sounds like the OP is going to return it to Verizon does not mean they will. This is no different than when someone asks how to get around a password protected BlackBerry. Even though they might have truly forgot the password we do not know that for sure. These types of questions are commonly related to stolen or found devices. That is something that CrackBerry.com will have no part of. It's best to contact the carrier in these situations...
    11-18-10 10:36 AM
    I dont think someone "lost" the phone. I think it was stolen and ditched.
    It was right across the street from a HS and wiped clean, no numbers in it like I said before.

I'm assuming it just happened yesterday, two days ago it rained its *** off and if the phone was out there for that there no way it could be working.

The phone is returned to a VZ store.
    Dbags.
    11-18-10 10:54 AM
    then I retract and apologize, like I said, don't think you meant it the way it sounded, but it sounded that way (again hard to get "flavor" off the net)
    11-18-10 11:02 AM
    LOL no need to apologize. It's the internet and people are generally evil.

I felt the need to reiterate that I had no intentions to keep the phone because I understand most people would.
    11-18-10 11:05 AM
    I felt the need to reiterate that I had no intentions to keep the phone because I understand most people would.
    Then you should understand exactly where I was coming from...
    11-18-10 11:21 AM
    I dont think someone "lost" the phone. I think it was stolen and ditched.
    It was right across the street from a HS and wiped clean, no numbers in it like I said before.

I'm assuming it just happened yesterday, two days ago it rained its *** off and if the phone was out there for that there no way it could be working.

The phone is returned to a VZ store.
    Dbags.
    I think you're right... if the phone had just been "lost," there would be SOME info on it... contacts, recent call logs, messages. And, if someone had just dropped it while walking or running, or it had been knocked off the car seat while a door was open, the battery and back cover would either still be on it, or lying nearby if shaken loose by the fall.

You did the right thing by turning it in to VZW; they can locate the last "legal" owner by the ESN.
    11-19-10 12:27 AM
    You guys seem to forget that a phone can have personal data remotely wiped with 3rd party software. Likely what happened here.
    11-19-10 03:22 AM
    No battery, no back cover.

I was thinking smart guard wipe or something as well, until I read that part.
    11-19-10 07:16 AM
    If the phone is reported lost or stolen it becomes a "Verizon Brick".
    11-19-10 08:45 AM
    That would be the right thing to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 07:30 AM
    Sure, return it. I'm sure Asurion will love to refurb it and make even more profit off the original owner.
    11-21-10 05:56 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD