I am a former alltel customer that recently migrated to Verizon with the merger.
    I would like to receive SMS text updates from facebook but when I try to set it up, I get the response that I am not a Verizon customer.
    Is there any way to fix this so that I am recognized as a Verizon customer on my alltel phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 03:59 AM
    Nope...

I take that back... Get a Verizon phone...
    11-13-09 05:28 AM
    had the same issue until I got a verizon phone (although I'm still on an Alltel plan)
    11-13-09 07:42 AM
    Nope...

I take that back... Get a Verizon phone...
    Can I do that?

11-13-09 10:21 AM
    Can I do that?

if you're eligible for a phone upgrade, yes, you can upgrade to a verizon phone, keep your alltel plan, then sign up for Facebook SMS notifications
    11-13-09 10:27 AM
    That's a sorta silly situation, being that it's just SMS alerts...

Was hoping the transition would give me those, haha... Ugh.
    11-13-09 06:41 PM
    Not eligible for an upgrade any time soon. Any other ideas?

11-14-09 05:01 AM
    It might work if you got a vzw phone, but you still would have an alltel number and route through the alltel smsc..

11-14-09 09:13 AM
    All the former Alltel people here who have gone to a Verizon BlackBerry seem to have the Facebook alerts working... So it should work...

But truly to be certain you would need a Verizon phone number, on a Verizon phone, on a Verizon plan... haha
    11-14-09 12:08 PM
    Well thanks anyway everyone. I live in the boonies of Minnesota. They don't care if my phone don't work. LOL I appreciate all the feedback. You guys rock for taking the time to answer.

11-15-09 12:13 AM
    Just a thought... You could call TS, and see if theres anything they can do about it... While they likely won't be able to get the Facebook app working, theres an outside chance that they may be able to replace the phone with the same model, but instead a Verizon device...

No guarantees, but its possible...
    11-15-09 04:24 AM
    Thanks ROC. I will do that.

11-16-09 02:09 AM
    I had the Faceboock app working on the Alltel phone, and was getting status updates, I just took it off as I didn't want to use up valuable memory in my 8830 and just use the mobile FB site now. So yeah, the text updates would be cool.

Weird how it doesn't work. It's just a friggin text, haha... And to boot, can't understand why being an Alltel "number" means anything. I thought I could port my number to any carrier? I hope so, it's a seriously cool number and I've had it for 19 yrs!
    11-16-09 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD