05-17-09 01:16 PM
84 1234
tools
    Let's see here. Just got off my big calculator, running some figures.

Bear in mind that a GSM BlackBerry running WiFi eats battery life.

Now, based on the increased power demands of the CDMA protocol, for security & speed purposes, and taking into consideration the ratio increase of the GSM BlackBerrys using WiFi, and converting the difference into raw numbers (not a multiplier, as that would unfairly advantage the CDMA argument), then reducing my numbers by 25%, just to be conservative, a CDMA BlackBerry would require about 7250mah to run for twelve hours. Divide battery capacity into that 7250 to figure out how many batteries you'd need to carry just to get you half the battery life I currently get (about 24hrs per charge). Add in the peak discharge hit the batteries would take before failure and you're looking at having to carry 5-6 batteries to get you through half a day and those batteries would need replacement about every 60-90 days.

For the constantly whining dopes out there: It isn't VZW.

Now, further this with the dramatically increased radiation levels of GSM and you might be concerned about jumping ship to a GSM carrier.

Uh oh, we also have a security issue with GSM, which explains the increased battery draw of CDMA. You see, CDMA BlackBerrys constantly authenticate with the servers, plus the higher speeds, and you find out why there is such a power increase. A GSM BlackBerry can go several days on a charge, while a heavily used CDMA model needs a charge about once per day.

AT&T 3G max speed is about 300-350kbps, while VZW/Sprint consistently run above 400kbps & in most metro areas, will top 1.1mbps.

Security? In this day and age of hackers, ID theft/fraud & ignorant consumers, there is no way I'd run any smartphone on either GSM or WiFi. Doing so would be akin to stripping naked, greasing your tail, bending over in a gay bar & begging not to be touched.

Ever wonder why the misinformed, left-wing consumer groups (and some politicos) dumped on VZW & Sprint for cooperating with the goverment-ordered wiretaps? Because the government didn't need help tapping GSM phones. And after a contract in the Middle East to build some infrastructure, I can tell you terrorists don't like using GSM either.

So - you want a WiFi BlackBerry? Go bare your stuff on a GSM network, because high quality control of CDMA carriers & manufacturers, coupled with savvy, tech oriented consumers, will make sure the odds of a CDMA WiFi device may never see the light of day.

High tech areas of the world, like the Orient & North America are the strongholds of CDMA, while places like France & Venezuela like GSM.

For me, I demand security & reasonable battery life & speed.

I've also not had an issue with mine in a commercial airliner.

Take the whining elsewhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you for saying the smartest thing I've ever heard. How refreshing.
    03-16-09 06:11 PM
    I'll lap myself into the ignorant column with this... I am not professional and have little knowledge of the technicalities of these devices and I only have 1 device to verify this.

How is that an iPhone is able to use WIFI continuously and maintain battery life? A friend of mine has it and the battery lasts quite a while and I see his phone bouncing around to different WIFI connections.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but just wondering how it's done on one device and not another. I would imagine that the chipset plays a roll but it seems that WIFI isn't a complete battery killer as seen on this instance of an iPhone.

I live by keeping it simple so I'm sure techies and more knowledgeable people can explain this but leave the techie stuff out please.
    03-16-09 08:00 PM
    I'll lap myself into the ignorant column with this... I am not professional and have little knowledge of the technicalities of these devices and I only have 1 device to verify this.

How is that an iPhone is able to use WIFI continuously and maintain battery life? A friend of mine has it and the battery lasts quite a while and I see his phone bouncing around to different WIFI connections.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but just wondering how it's done on one device and not another. I would imagine that the chipset plays a roll but it seems that WIFI isn't a complete battery killer as seen on this instance of an iPhone.

I live by keeping it simple so I'm sure techies and more knowledgeable people can explain this but leave the techie stuff out please.

I could've sworn I wrote a response to this - the meds do weird things to me...

It is actually pretty simple. One of the (few) advantages of GSM is it is easier on batteries than CDMA is, because CDMA has to authenticate the device for security reasons. A CDMA BlackBerry sees a battery life that is only 40-50% that of a GSM BlackBerry. Also, Apple operating systems tend to be a tad more processor efficient than other operating systems. Then there is the no-replace battery. Where Apple optimized the battery design for performance, RIM chose the path of the replacement battery idea, so could easily pop in another battery. When designing for efficiency, the integral battery is the way to go, until you need to replace it - then the iPhone has to go to Apple, while the Berry simply pops its cover. Throw all these things together and you find that without WiFi, the iPhone's battery life is quite a bit higher than a CDMA BlackBerry. This leaves more capacity to run WiFi and even Bluetooth.

If WiFi takes a three day device down to 6 hours, think of what it would do to a 1 day device.
    03-17-09 08:57 AM
    I could've sworn I wrote a response to this - the meds do weird things to me...

It is actually pretty simple. One of the (few) advantages of GSM is it is easier on batteries than CDMA is, because CDMA has to authenticate the device for security reasons. A CDMA BlackBerry sees a battery life that is only 40-50% that of a GSM BlackBerry. Also, Apple operating systems tend to be a tad more processor efficient than other operating systems. Then there is the no-replace battery. Where Apple optimized the battery design for performance, RIM chose the path of the replacement battery idea, so could easily pop in another battery. When designing for efficiency, the integral battery is the way to go, until you need to replace it - then the iPhone has to go to Apple, while the Berry simply pops its cover. Throw all these things together and you find that without WiFi, the iPhone's battery life is quite a bit higher than a CDMA BlackBerry. This leaves more capacity to run WiFi and even Bluetooth.

If WiFi takes a three day device down to 6 hours, think of what it would do to a 1 day device.
    I could have sworn you did as well.

Anyway WiFi IMHO doesn't kill battery life for the times i use it and is a great option to have especially when you're like me and forced to browse on 2G networks.
    03-17-09 09:05 AM
    You Verizon people sure are touchy. One reason people come in, read the posts and don't return may be that you all seem so frustrated and malicious, not to mention a touch paranoid.
    03-17-09 09:33 AM
    Anyway WiFi IMHO doesn't kill battery life for the times i use it and is a great option to have especially when you're like me and forced to browse on 2G networks.
    I can't see your carrier (mobile view limitations), so I am assuming you're on a GSM carrier & may charge your phone nightly. As such, especially if you're not using it constantly, your battery life may be satisfactory. I've had similar experiences with CDMA WinMo devices, but using WiFi on those for much more than an hour still made a battery swap late in the day necessary.
    You Verizon people sure are touchy. One reason people come in, read the posts and don't return may be that you all seem so frustrated and malicious, not to mention a touch paranoid.
    No, we're not touchy or paranoid. We're just tired of the ignorant fanboys constantly coming here, armed with only talking points they picked up from other ignorant boobs, attacking our choice of carrier.

We say: I am having trouble getting a data signal in the basement out on the ranch.

They say: Well, if you got a REAL carrier like AT&T you'd get REAL 3G and WiFi and be so cool!

We say: But out at the ranch, we are on well & septic & rely on generated power. We don't have Internet, much less broadband or WiFi out here. Its why I need my BlackBerry to work better.

They say: Well that's because you believed Verizon's marketing lies about having the best network.

We say: I used to have AT&T and I got NO coverage out here.

They say: have you tried an iPhone? Best phone they ever made and Apple wouldn't let garbage like VZW have it. If you had an iPhone, all would be better. And it has WiFi and Bluetooth. Did you know VZW locked your GPS and cripples your Bluetooth and cooperated with Bush?

We say: AT&T doesn't work here at all. My VZW BlackBerry works well except in my basement. All I want to know is if there is a way to fix that. I don't need a lecture about a carrier that doesn't work out here.

They say: You VZW people are so stupid. If you knew what you were doing, you'd not let them rape you with their overpriced plans. You know they rip you off and charge twice as much as anyone else...

Interactions like this happen everyday here. I know I don't go to the AT&T forums & say, AT&T sucks, you people are stupid for letting them... If I did, I'd expect to get hammered as a troublemaker & I wouldn't tell them they are overly sensitive or frustrated.

No - not touchy or paranoid. Just weary of the anti-VZW types looking to get their jollies, thinking they are so bright.

03-17-09 11:45 AM
    Haha this thread is funny!

but to the OP have fun with att!
    03-17-09 12:08 PM
    I can't see your carrier (mobile view limitations), so I am assuming you're on a GSM carrier & may charge your phone nightly. As such, especially if you're not using it constantly, your battery life may be satisfactory. I've had similar experiences with CDMA WinMo devices, but using WiFi on those for much more than an hour still made a battery swap late in the day necessary.
    No, we're not touchy or paranoid. We're just tired of the ignorant fanboys constantly coming here, armed with only talking points they picked up from other ignorant boobs, attacking our choice of carrier.

We say: I am having trouble getting a data signal in the basement out on the ranch.

They say: Well, if you got a REAL carrier like AT&T you'd get REAL 3G and WiFi and be so cool!

We say: But out at the ranch, we are on well & septic & rely on generated power. We don't have Internet, much less broadband or WiFi out here. Its why I need my BlackBerry to work better.

They say: Well that's because you believed Verizon's marketing lies about having the best network.

They say: have you tried an iPhone? Best phone they ever made and Apple wouldn't let garbage like VZW have it. If you had an iPhone, all would be better. And it has WiFi and Bluetooth. Did you know VZW locked your GPS and cripples your Bluetooth and cooperated with Bush?

We say: AT&T doesn't work here at all. My VZW BlackBerry works well except in my basement. All I want to know is if there is a way to fix that. I don't need a lecture about a carrier that doesn't work out here.

They say: You VZW people are so stupid. If you knew what you were doing, you'd not let them rape you with their overpriced plans. You know they rip you off and charge twice as much as anyone else...

Interactions like this happen everyday here. I know I don't go to the AT&T forums & say, AT&T sucks, you people are stupid for letting them... If I did, I'd expect to get hammered as a troublemaker & I wouldn't tell them they are overly sensitive or frustrated.

No - not touchy or paranoid. Just weary of the anti-VZW types looking to get their jollies, thinking they are so bright.

Man I enjoy reading your threads! You and I would get along well.
    03-17-09 02:07 PM
    I could have sworn you did as well.

I can't see your carrier (mobile view limitations)
    Aha! Now I see. Does Cable&Wireless still do well in Barbados as far as quality & such? We've bid on several contracts down there & just keep coming in too high.

Someday, I'd like to retire either in Barbados or Trinidad-Tobago.

Man I enjoy reading your threads! You and I would get along well.
    As long as I stay away from being too harsh. I go back & read some & cringe at my own words.
    03-17-09 02:53 PM
    Can someone expand on the security risks associated with using a BB via a WiFi connection?
    05-14-09 02:45 PM
    See ya wouldn't wanna be ya!
    05-14-09 02:49 PM
    Your speed is going to be about the same on AT&T, when you actually get on their 3G network, Smartphones are not as fast as the data cards. 200 - 300 kbps is normal on a BlackBerry, you would get that standing right next to a tower.

AT&T does not have near the 3G coverage Verizon has, its not even a competition.

Trust me, stay with Verizon
    05-14-09 03:02 PM
    cya, why post these things? who cares lol
    i dont need wifi since i get 5 bars in my house
    05-14-09 04:18 PM

All I have to say is WONDERFUL post. I could not agree more with what you stated here. I agree we would get along perfectly. I agree with everything you have stated in this thread. I have no need for WiFi.
    05-14-09 05:45 PM
    Fpatano:
    I just switched to ATT Bold, I love it. WiFi is fantastic. I see someone said vzw's 3G can get bursts up to 1.1mb. Yes but that's stationary, not while booking down the highway when you shouldn't be surfing anyway. Trust me OP, when I'm surfing the most is @ someones office waiting for a meeting or at home at night laying in bed and the WiFi is just plain sick fast.
    Now for a question to the very info savvy TwinsX. In your opinion, is it fair what ScottR said above. That only 1% of bb users, smartphone, pda users call in complaining about speeds. Anyone into speed isn't calling customer support, they're out there with the know how already. Mr & Mrs "how do I get my aol mail on my phone?" are the majority of CS callers, no?

Please stay out of the central Jersey area. I dont want to have to cut you out of your car after you wrap it around a telephone poll because you were "surfing".
    05-15-09 08:20 PM
    TwinsX2Dad - that was some good/funny reading.
    anyone who needs wifi on a daily basis will have a notebook to work on. As said many time before.
    05-15-09 08:53 PM
    Please stay out of the central Jersey area. I dont want to have to cut you out of your car after you wrap it around a telephone poll because you were "surfing".
    I guess you can't read that well, I said you shouldn't surf while driving. You can, however, push the trackball on the internet icon and see how fast your homepage loads while you are moving in a car. You can also surf quite well in a passengers seat. That said, kindly stay seated in the fire truck and let the other, more intuitive firemen cut me out of my truck when it rolls over on route 18.

05-15-09 11:28 PM
    I guess you can't read that well, I said you shouldn't surf while driving. You can, however, push the trackball on the internet icon and see how fast your homepage loads while you are moving in a car. You can also surf quite well in a passengers seat. That said, kindly stay seated in the fire truck and let the other, more intuitive firemen cut me out of my truck when it rolls over on route 18.

Gladly. Even though im nowhere near route 18. But ok
    05-15-09 11:52 PM
    Pressing the button on your BlackBerry going down the road tells you as much about your connection speed as your oil pressure light tells you about how fast you're driving.

I have equipment in several trucks that monitors and records connection speed. Mobile in this area & much of SoCal is between 800kbps & 1.1Mbps average - peaks are closer to 2Mbps. That is hopping towers at 75MPH and it holds long after I've left town. You cannot do that with WiFi, as it is extremely localized.

I measure actual connection speed & not speed through RIM servers - and I can check quality differences between Rev0 & RevA, as well as GSM. I can identify towers and which ones are in the area, plus the ones I am connecting to. I can do stationary, mobile & speed-related signal loss and I've done it for every install we do, as well as periodic quality testing for many carriers.

See those dark red spots on the AT&T 3G maps? 500kbps average with 800kbps peak - and pray you don't hop towers with GSM's notoriously inept hard handoffs. Instead of seamless data transfer, you will often witness as much as a 30 second drop of connection - not just a reduction in speed, a total drop.

WiFi on a BlackBerry is not crazy fast, nor is it sick fast. It is a sporadic mixture of sometimes fairly fast and other times downright maddening. You cannot seamlessly hop from one hotspot to another and if you manage to connect while driving, you will lose the connection within seconds, as you move out of range.

I have a Bold, along with several smartphones from multiple carriers. The Bold & its functionality is garbage; pretty much a piece of crap - an overblown, oversized Curve with a little bigger screen, a little more processor, a little more memory, a lousy keyboard and a creaky battery door that feels like it should cover the booth seating for a lounge lizard in a leisure suit. And, in static tests, its WiFi isn't crazy-fast, even on my own network. And I will guarantee you my network is as fast as anyone's here. And yes, it does record all traffic, plus device performance to a central file server.

You want crazy-fast? I have fiber-optic connectivity into my home & office - coupled with the latest processors and mega-RAM, I see crazy-fast. And, when sitting at home or work, I don't cheap out by doing heavy speed lifting on my phone. I have too many terminals and laptops to waste my time on a crappy smartphone with its puny screen, processor & memory - not to mention a lack of things one would need crazy-fast connections for: flash, data transfer, editing, production, video and games.

Crazy-fast still requires wires. If you're doing it on WiFi, and think it is fast, you need somerthing better to compare it to.

05-16-09 12:17 AM
    Here's a thought on the ******** and whining about Wi-Fi:

We have bred an entitlement mentality in this country. That coupled with the "need" for instant gratification demands that I get whatever I want whenever I want it. Carrying that narcissism to its logical conclusion, if you don't give me what I want you must somehow be a bad person/corporation. Nevermind the fact that what I want isnt really necessary, I want it and that's all that matters.

It's enough to make you puke. I have been working in wireless since I was 18. In the past nine years I have not had one single person over the age of 35 ask me about Wi-Fi on their phones. Incidentally, as was pointed out earlier, most of the folks asking me about Wi-Fi can be readily found at Starbucks, hence the perceived need for Wi-Fi.

There truthfully is no need for Wi-Fi service. If people were not so damn cheap we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

On a side and final note, if you dont think that we have an entitlement mentality in this country, consider the fact that the man in the White House presently, is the one that promised the most welfare.
    this entitlement argument is sickning! Every time technology comes out and "PAYING" customers ask for it, the first and only argument you bring out is the entitlement argument! And you talk about logic??? Here's logic for you:

PrimeTime2Go

And if u still need me to lead u to water, then I direct u to the last paragraph on that website

Here's the second argument for wifi for the non entitlement crowd!... Shall I keep going? Shall I continue with TRAVEL argument for the non entitled???

The Wi-Fi skies: Airlines embrace broadband - Business travel- msnbc.com

Looking for a Wi-Fi hot spot? Try 10,000 feet up - CNN.com

And in recent news...
    Verizon’s upcoming BlackBerry releases: Tour, Pearl Flip, Atlas Storm 2 info : Boy Genius Report

What was that, Verizon will never have a wifi blackberry???
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-16-09 at 01:14 AM.
    05-16-09 12:56 AM
    Let's see - it was BGR who said the 8330, the Storm & the Niagara would have WiFi. Oops, they missed on all counts there.

The people using WiFi on airlines are using laptops - most airlines still won't let you use your cellphone in flight.

And the ones that have WiFi? How badly are you going to whine about the charge for connecting to it? Then once you do, how much will you scream about how slow it is?

05-16-09 01:26 AM
    Let's see - it was BGR who said the 8330, the Storm & the Niagara would have WiFi. Oops, they missed on all counts there.

The people using WiFi on airlines are using laptops - most airlines still won't let you use your cellphone in flight.

And the ones that have WiFi? How badly are you going to whine about the charge for connecting to it? Then once you do, how much will you scream about how slow it is?

1st: bgr's credibility is not my expertise. However, I'm sure they have "SOME" standing given their popularity in the "tech" world.

2nd: How badly we'd whine for wifi connection charges, or how slow it might be has absolutely nothing to do with the argument I made above

3rd: Airlines will absolutely let you use your cell phone data over wifi or any electronic devices for that matter after take off and landing! Where have you been???
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-16-09 at 01:35 AM.
    05-16-09 01:31 AM
    1st: bgr's credibility is not my expertise. However, I'm sure they have "SOME" standing given their popularity in the "tech" world.
    Their track record speaks for itself with all of their false predictions and "news" items that are proven blatantly false. Anyone can see they can't even run Photoshop with any skill. Their writing exposes them as a bunch of kids.

They have zero standing except with other kids on fansites.

Given your own track record, you being sure about something doesn't count for a whole lot. What does count for a lot is I have had my hands not only on the Niagara, but a prototype of the Storm replacement, too - neither has a WiFi radio inside.

2nd: How badly we'd whine for wifi connection charges, or how slow it might be has absolutely nothing to do with the argument I made above
    Sure it does - you don't even want to pay for what you have - how well will you deal with $20-$30 per flight WiFi access charges?
    3rd: Airlines will absolutely let you use your cell phone data over wifi or any electronic devices for that matter after take off and landing! Where have you been???
    I said MOST will still not allow it. I fly enough to earn several free flights each year on a variety of airlines. Most still tell you to turn them off - then once in the air, how well do you think some of these phones work?
    this entitlement argument is sickning!
    I would mention the argument so many are finding sickening, but maybe I'll let others do it for me.

05-16-09 02:16 AM
    Their track record speaks for itself with all of their false predictions and "news" items that are proven blatantly false. Anyone can see they can't even run Photoshop with any skill. Their writing exposes them as a bunch of kids.

They have zero standing except with other kids on fansites.

I won't debate this. All I would say is that respect should be given to all parties trying to do the best they can. And BGR, regardless of past errors, are established in the same way CB is established within the BB community! When tech and news sites get their scopes, 9 times out of 10, they quote bgr! That's got to mean something...

Given your own track record, you being sure about something doesn't count for a whole lot. What does count for a lot is I have had my hands not only on the Niagara, but a prototype of the Storm replacement, too - neither has a WiFi radio inside.
    Baseless insults already? Also, remember that last part, I'll be sure to throw it back at you come launch!

The rumers are far beyond bgr! I guess they gave u a wifiless storm 2 since ur such an advocate against it
    Blackberry Storm 2 due in September, has WiFi - SlashGear

Sure it does - you don't even want to pay for what you have - how well will you deal with $20-$30 per flight WiFi access charges?
    I don't want to pay for what I have? Really??? I'd love for you to show me where I've said that!

I said MOST will still not allow it. I fly enough to earn several free flights each year on a variety of airlines. Most still tell you to turn them off - then once in the air, how well do you think some of these phones work?
    With wifi? A lot better than without wifi, thank you!

I would mention the argument so many are finding sickening, but maybe I'll let others do it for me.
    No need... its baseless anyway and its the only argument you and your crew have for a concept that is so simple to understand!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-16-09 at 08:19 AM.
    05-16-09 06:56 AM
    Pressing the button on your BlackBerry going down the road tells you as much about your connection speed as your oil pressure light tells you about how fast you're driving.

I have equipment in several trucks that monitors and records connection speed. Mobile in this area & much of SoCal is between 800kbps & 1.1Mbps average - peaks are closer to 2Mbps. That is hopping towers at 75MPH and it holds long after I've left town. You cannot do that with WiFi, as it is extremely localized.

I measure actual connection speed & not speed through RIM servers - and I can check quality differences between Rev0 & RevA, as well as GSM. I can identify towers and which ones are in the area, plus the ones I am connecting to. I can do stationary, mobile & speed-related signal loss and I've done it for every install we do, as well as periodic quality testing for many carriers.

See those dark red spots on the AT&T 3G maps? 500kbps average with 800kbps peak - and pray you don't hop towers with GSM's notoriously inept hard handoffs. Instead of seamless data transfer, you will often witness as much as a 30 second drop of connection - not just a reduction in speed, a total drop.

WiFi on a BlackBerry is not crazy fast, nor is it sick fast. It is a sporadic mixture of sometimes fairly fast and other times downright maddening. You cannot seamlessly hop from one hotspot to another and if you manage to connect while driving, you will lose the connection within seconds, as you move out of range.

I have a Bold, along with several smartphones from multiple carriers. The Bold & its functionality is garbage; pretty much a piece of crap - an overblown, oversized Curve with a little bigger screen, a little more processor, a little more memory, a lousy keyboard and a creaky battery door that feels like it should cover the booth seating for a lounge lizard in a leisure suit. And, in static tests, its WiFi isn't crazy-fast, even on my own network. And I will guarantee you my network is as fast as anyone's here. And yes, it does record all traffic, plus device performance to a central file server.

You want crazy-fast? I have fiber-optic connectivity into my home & office - coupled with the latest processors and mega-RAM, I see crazy-fast. And, when sitting at home or work, I don't cheap out by doing heavy speed lifting on my phone. I have too many terminals and laptops to waste my time on a crappy smartphone with its puny screen, processor & memory - not to mention a lack of things one would need crazy-fast connections for: flash, data transfer, editing, production, video and games.

Crazy-fast still requires wires. If you're doing it on WiFi, and think it is fast, you need somerthing better to compare it to.

I've never used WiFi while moving...didn't know there was such a thing. I've only used it while in my office, or home and it is sick fast...FOR A PHONE. did you actually think I was comparing a PC to a phone? C-mon.
    05-16-09 09:56 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD