05-17-09 01:16 PM
84 1234
tools
    The 9630 will have WiFi. This was stated by someone who has the phone in their possession..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 12:20 PM
    The 9630 will have WiFi. This was stated by someone who has the phone in their possession..

With VZW? and will it have WI-FI at final release?
    03-15-09 01:14 PM
    If the beta has it then.

03-15-09 01:21 PM
    why worry too much about wi fi and there is no smartphone is best anywhere so be happy what you have already using BB
    03-15-09 01:39 PM
    I'll lap myself into the ignorant column with this... I am not professional and have little knowledge of the technicalities of these devices and I only have 1 device to verify this.

How is that an iPhone is able to use WIFI continuously and maintain battery life? A friend of mine has it and the battery lasts quite a while and I see his phone bouncing around to different WIFI connections.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but just wondering how it's done on one device and not another. I would imagine that the chipset plays a roll but it seems that WIFI isn't a complete battery killer as seen on this instance of an iPhone.

I live by keeping it simple so I'm sure techies and more knowledgeable people can explain this but leave the techie stuff out please.
    03-15-09 01:59 PM
    When this rolls out and before too long I am sure they will figure out a way to charge an outrageous rate to use their WI-FI at 30,000 ft. as well. Just like other places that chrage to use their service. Air carriers these days do not give you anything for free. Now before you say you get a free soda, coffee, and peanuts. They are not free, but embedded in the cost of the ticket and if you do not partake then they make that much more.
    So very true lastraid. So very true.
    03-15-09 02:01 PM
    How is that an iPhone is able to use WIFI continuously and maintain battery life? A friend of mine has it and the battery lasts quite a while and I see his phone bouncing around to different WIFI connections.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but just wondering how it's done on one device and not another. I would imagine that the chipset plays a roll but it seems that WIFI isn't a complete battery killer as seen on this instance of an iPhone.

I live by keeping it simple so I'm sure techies and more knowledgeable people can explain this but leave the techie stuff out please.
    It really isn't hard to understand, once the tech stuff is left out.

If all else were 100% equal, GSM devices use 50-70% less power than do CDMA devices and peak power demands are about 30% lower. Couple this with the fact that Apple operating systems are less power hungry than many others and you can see that there is extra battery capacity for something like WiFi.

When you look at many of the CDMA WiFi phones out there, besides the fact they are all WinMo or Palm, you find devices with much larger form factors. Do a quick check of three developed around the same time - RIM Curve, HTC Tilt & HTC XV6700/6800/6900 and you'll find the HTC models are thicker & heavier. Toss in the additional power needs of the BlackBerry security processes and again, you will find extra battery capacity available in those WinMo phones.

Remember too that the iPhone has a non-replaceable battery, which allowed Apple the opportunity to optimize it instead of having to design a battery with its own case and less than optimal performance that was removable.

So much is made of battery life in reviews and battery life plays a big part in customer satisfaction with a device that I don't have questions regarding RIM's choice to leave WiFi off. You already have other power-hungry features in GPS & Bluetooth. Adding WiFi could be disasterous.

Would you buy a phone that advertised 24hr standby & 65min talk time? That probably isn't far off of what a CDMA BlackBerry WiFi device stats sheet would show.

I can only talk to you for 20 minutes, honey, because I used WiFi to download 6 spam messages!

Give it a little bit. LTE will make the WiFi argument moot & any thoughts that AT&T 3G speeds are tolerable, ludicrous.

There are things each device & technology excel in. There are plusses to iPhone, to CDMA & to GSM. The disadvantages in each makes me choose CDMA. Lack of WiFi is not a disadvantage for me, but even if it were, the advantages of CDMA outweigh that easily. WiFi & CDMA BlackBerrys is a pairing of features no one would want, if actually made.

03-15-09 04:01 PM
    BTW, in airplanes, voice data goes via ground towers, you don't get a signal cause when you are at 30k feet you essentially see all towers and you are also 6mi away from any of them. SMS data goes via satellites, so SMS data will work.

I don't know about that. My Text messages don't work mid flight.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-15-09 at 05:38 PM.
    03-15-09 04:17 PM
    Well, the fact of the matter is simple. The vast majority of people honestly don't care and I think the figure Scott quoted was probably high.

Look at the number of regular posters here - those with over 250 posts who have posted in the last 30 days. It may look like a lot, but is it really? We get a lot of Treo/iPhone/dumbphone people who just want to chat about anything. We also get our share of people with multiple aliases. The biggest share of the membership probably has fewer than 10 posts, with most at zero or one. They come, they read, they might post a question or two, then never return.

The people who are passionate about BlackBerry, for the most part, don't come here, nor do they care to.

I work with people who all do mobile telephony for a living. I've told them about several good phone sites and only one comes around - and when the subject of WiFi comes up, they all turn their noses up at it.

Yes, it can be fast, but to your assertion about mobile speeds, how often can you run a WiFi connection while mobile, unless you're driving in a circle? We are all very mobile and either tether or use Aircards, because WiFi is unreliable, not very mobile and an extreme risk to data security.

You can drive by my office and pick up a single open WiFi connection - it does get used, both by employees (it is setup for their personal devices and is firewalled from our data) and by strangers in the area. What the employees know while the strangers do not is that every keystroke input on our WiFi connection is recorded. Sit outside with your smartphone & log into CrackBerry & your username & password is archived. Buy on Amazon with your laptop? We now have your credit card on file. Your personal info and your device signature is there too - your ISP can do the same thing. Now we don't do this for anything malicious - it is done in case any legal matters come down later, pointing at our network. But if we can do it for security/liabilty reasons, think of what Harry Hacker could do with that same information.

Back to the original question - what some of you keep demanding is a Ferrari that will do 200MPH off-road. Well, guess what? That car doesn't exist and nobody makes anything like it. You can buy a BMW or Porsche that will go offroad and hit 175, but that's it.

If the world all wanted a Corvette Z06, why is the best selling car a front-wheel-drive, four-cylinder Toyota? To listen to some of you whine, reminds me of reading the letters in Car and Driver where the guy screams that again they picked the Honda Accord instead of his Infiniti G37. The guy says the staff is nuts, that they don't know what they're talking about. Yet Honda sells more Accords in two weeks than Infiniti sells cars in a year.

The same holds true with BlackBerrys. VZW's number one seller is made not by Rim, but by LG. AT&T's biggest selling smartphone isn't made by RIM, it is made by Apple. And, if WiFi were so important, why is the company with the highest number of BlackBerrys to customers Sprint? The number two in ratio (Number One overall for several years) is VZW. AT&T is number four proportionately, yet has the most WiFi BlackBerry models. Oh, AT&T's number one smartphone customer satisfaction complaint? Slow or non-existent 3G. The number two? WiFi issues.

So, if we look at the customer makeup of the carriers, smartphones are in the minority. BlackBerrys are in the minority of smartphones. People who do have smartphones are more likely than not to have a device lacking WiFi. Then there are what remains.

I have several WinMo WiFi phones in my desk - I tried the WiFi on them and could watch the battery meter drop. This is with extended batteries. I couldn't care less about WiFi on them. For one, mobile sites are low bandwidth. Everything I run on my BlackBerry is already fast. At home, I have a computer in every room and a quad-core media center running the entertainment in the house. I have six Vista or XP Pro laptops in the house & a pair oc MacBooks. All of them have firewalls & WiFi. Why would I need to suck the life out of my phone battery?

When I take the laptops out, it is often a pain in the neck to get on a WiFi network because they are either secured or fee-based. And more & more states are making it illegal to access a network without first getting verifiable permission to use it. Excuse me madam, you don't know me, but will you please sign my permission slip?

Forget that. I power up the Aircard & surf away on my laptop.

You all want sports cars but you only want to pay for a Hyundai. Most of the world is happy with their Hyundais. Me, I'll take the sports car & not complain that I can't take it offroad. I have trucks to do that.

For now, I am going back to sleep.

You should PM me the app/instructions how to setup this up on my network. I am curious how you keylog every pc on your network remotely. I would think a prog would have to be installed on the pc you're logging.
    03-15-09 04:18 PM
    I don't know about that. My Text messages don't work mid flight.
    I don't know how you did that - the BS about SMS going via satellite was from jbinbi & somehow you credited me. BlackBerrys do not receive or transmit messages via satellite - SMS or otherwise.
    You should PM me the app/instructions how to setup this up on my network. I am curious how you keylog every pc on your network remotely. I would think a prog would have to be installed on the pc you're logging.
    It is enterprise-level network security software. Anything that goes across our network is recorded. Your systems in your call center can do the same thing. It doesn't matter if the computer is connected via WiFi, Bluetooth or CAT5/6.

03-15-09 05:24 PM
    Interesting, Idk how that happened. I've fixed it.

Is this software available for personal use? I would assume that the program would need to be installed locally. Get me in the know! I want to monitor my network
    03-15-09 05:39 PM
    My SMS from the plane was on a treo. Didn't knw that BB and Treo's used different SMS methods on the same carrier.
    03-15-09 05:39 PM
    This was an actual text message? The SMS service uses Cell Towers just like voice calls do. They do not use satellites.
    03-15-09 05:44 PM
    Wow, seriously, I thought this was a forum to talk about ideas and concerns where peers could communicate about things. Turns out this is a place where people come to put down the thoughts of others.
    It quickly became a wifi discussion, when it was more than that, whenever a cdma blackberry comes down from the GSM version, it almost always has a slower processor, less RAM and locked gps, and no wifi. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but, why is having the features another carrier has and posting about disappointment considered crying? I just want the best, with everything, and willing to pay for what I want. I don't care about all your computer, servers and laptops in your home, or that text messages go through satalites, which is nonsence. Personally, the Att Bold has everything I want, it comes to the best network and is turned into a ugly step child. I really wanted to love it, but now just didn't live up to the Bold.
    Call it what you want to call it, but VZ did it again, had a great idea, destroyed it with horrible follow through.

03-15-09 05:49 PM
    Call it what you want to call it, but VZ did it again, had a great idea, destroyed it with horrible follow through.
    And you've determined this before you've seen the finished product?

You mention slower processors & less memory. Tell me how that has ever played out with an apples to apples comparison, like say the 83XX or 81XX series. Let me help you there. The CDMA 8330 has the same processor and more memory than any of the GSM units.

The basis of your argument is flawed and based only on your perception, which is evidently faulty.

Bum, I think the easiest to setup would be something from Barricuda Networks. We use Cisco, but Barricuda is more tuned toward small business or even high-end home-office and is less costly.

03-15-09 05:58 PM
    Wow, seriously, I thought this was a forum to talk about ideas and concerns where peers could communicate about things. Turns out this is a place where people come to put down the thoughts of others.
    It quickly became a wifi discussion, when it was more than that, whenever a cdma blackberry comes down from the GSM version, it almost always has a slower processor, less RAM and locked gps, and no wifi. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but, why is having the features another carrier has and posting about disappointment considered crying? I just want the best, with everything, and willing to pay for what I want. I don't care about all your computer, servers and laptops in your home, or that text messages go through satalites, which is nonsence. Personally, the Att Bold has everything I want, it comes to the best network and is turned into a ugly step child. I really wanted to love it, but now just didn't live up to the Bold.

The niagara isn't even released yet and people are bashing it. Amazing.
    03-15-09 06:34 PM
    I think I remember correctly both iPhone launches being botched. The first one the activations weren't going through. I think the second one they couldn't even get a decent connection for months and apple/att denied the problem.
    03-15-09 06:37 PM

Bum, I think the easiest to setup would be something from Barricuda Networks. We use Cisco, but Barricuda is more tuned toward small business or even high-end home-office and is less costly.

Can this be run without anyone knowing?
    03-15-09 06:38 PM
    Can this be run without anyone knowing?
    Most definitely it can. In several companies I've worked with, we've pulled actual screen prints of pages employees and others visited over the past three years for evidence of activity. If setup comprehensively enough, you have a record of every bit of data that goes across your network. I've even used it to pull up my own Amazon or Newegg purchases that I made a year before. Time, date & duration is recorded & I can even see which device I used to connect with.

The only difference is whether that data is passed through cache memory or is recorded on permanent media. It is undetectable to the network user.

03-15-09 06:49 PM
    The niagara isn't even released yet and people are bashing it. Amazing.
    It is amazing. The Bold has its flaws (like build quality) and those flaws aren't apparent in pictures, but these people see a few pre-production (and possibly modified) images from eBay or CB and they are suddenly experts.

I think the big thing behind all of this is kids thinking they know it all and don't have anything else to do. They most certainly have not developed any discernment skills on information, yet.

03-15-09 06:54 PM
    Most definitely it can. In several companies I've worked with, we've pulled actual screen prints of pages employees and others visited over the past three years for evidence of activity. If setup comprehensively enough, you have a record of every bit of data that goes across your network. I've even used it to pull up my own Amazon or Newegg purchases that I made a year before. Time, date & duration is recorded & I can even see which device I used to connect with.

The only difference is whether that data is passed through cache memory or is recorded on permanent media. It is undetectable to the network user.

I'll have to look into it
    03-15-09 07:04 PM
    Bon Voyage
    03-15-09 11:27 PM
    Bon Voyage
    I think that is the best answer, by far.

03-16-09 12:51 AM
    So, let's make it clear for all the OMG'ers who now think their every keystroke is logged. Well, it just may be by somebody, but most routers for home networks by default are not setup to record such things. So you are probably safe in your home and at work, if you own your own business. Now if the local police or fbi have you under surveillance, well hey, that's different.

03-16-09 04:30 AM
    So, let's make it clear for all the OMG'ers who now think their every keystroke is logged. Well, it just may be by somebody, but most routers for home networks by default are not setup to record such things. So you are probably safe in your home and at work, if you own your own business. Now if the local police or fbi have you under surveillance, well hey, that's different.
    Safe at home, on your own network, yes, you're safe. Safe at work? More & more, no, as employers are becoming more & more mindful as to what goes on over their networks. Even smaller businesses, with 25-50 employees are setting up network loggers. Your job could be at stake, unless 100% of what you do on your device is acceptable to the powers that be. And what is acceptable today may change tomorrow.

Did you know a substantial percentage of ID theft is perpetuated by those you know, are related to or work with? Putting that info out there is asking for trouble.

I think I'd trust any carrier, who will not affect my paycheck, before I'd trust some stranger's network. And at home, we already have computers.

03-16-09 09:08 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD