So my wife and I have decided to both upgrade to Blackberrys and leave the world of simple cell phones behind. This will be her first venture into a smartphone and the sign of my return after leaving them some time ago after breaking yet another touchscreen Windows CE phone.

She's set on the Storm and right now Verizon is running a Buy 1 BB get 1 Free promotion. I was originally leaning to the 8330 because I think the tactile keyboard would be a closer fit to my enV keyboard, but seeing I could get a free Storm ($199 value vs $99 for 8330) is making me at least consider it. The sales person at my local VZ store said the basic differences were the Storm had the touchscreen and the better camera, but from flipping through the menuing on both of them they seem very different. Is this just a difference in the structure of the menu system or do they support different apps and features besides the two the store mentioned?

I've seen in comparing stats the memory capacity is different, but also read RIM is limiting where apps from the app store can be loaded on the phone so the memory differences may not be that huge.

My plan for now is to get the Storm and try it out. I know with VZ I have 30 days and I suspect it will be easier to try a Storm and return it for an 8330 of I don't like it than it would be to return an 8330 and get the Storm (reminding them in the process it was free so they shouldn't charge me to 'upgrade')

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone may care to share. I'm reading about both tonight, but thought I'd fish for a bit more info this way too.

BTW, this will be a BIS BB not BES.

-Ogrefunk
    03-05-09 10:54 PM
    That's exactly the way I'm going about it.

I'm getting my first BlackBerry on Sunday, and it's going to be (at least for now) the Storm. I came to this decision knowing that if I don't like it, I can take it back for a Curve.

Glad to see I'm not the only one taking this route.
    03-05-09 11:12 PM
    I just got my first Blackberry a month ago (8330) and love it! I played around with the Storm in the store but i really wanted a "regular" qwerty keyboard. You cant go wrong with any Blackberry! By all means, use the 30 days to see what works for you.
    03-05-09 11:55 PM
    You cant go wrong with any Blackberry!
    Well, depending on one's preferences, you can.

For me, I can't stand the Storm. Yes, it has a bigger screen, a faster processor and more system memory, and yes, VZW/RIM is packaging the thing with an 8GB memory card...but it feels heavier, bulkier and has that dreaded touchscreen interface.

If you like those things, by all means, get one - I know many who love theirs & the OS issues are largely overblown. But, in my mind, if all RIM offered was the Storm, I'd learn to love WinMo really fast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 12:39 AM
    Ask about the re-stocking fee which I believe is policy now. I think it's 35 bucks.
    03-06-09 10:48 AM
    Yes it's 35 and they are been charging it lately.
    03-06-09 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD