So I'm visiting family in the midwest and Verizon doesn't seem to have coverage in this area. When I connect I get "Extended Network" and based on calling *228 I'm on a US Cellular system.

As I understand it, Verizon is in the process of merging with US Cellular, but I don't know how far along that whole process is.

What I'm wondering, and couldn't seem to find a straight answer to with Google or searching these forums, is is it "safe" to turn on data services? And by safe, I mean will I be billed extra for roaming? I am on a Nationwide Basic plan.
    12-25-08 06:49 PM
    No roaming charges anywhere in the US. When you're on 'Extended Network" you are still digital & still within your coverage area. You're just not on VZW towers.

Don't worry about it. Its included!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 09:27 PM
    I am always on extended, where I live vzw is not I am always on uscell towers, data is slow but it does work, at no additinal cost to us

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 10:21 AM
    As I understand it, Verizon is in the process of merging with US Cellular, but I don't know how far along that whole process is.
    That understanding could not be further from the truth.

VZW is buying out Alltel - and the deal closes Jan 9th.
    12-26-08 11:40 AM
    That understanding could not be further from the truth.

VZW is buying out Alltel - and the deal closes Jan 9th.
    Nearly positive my mother used to be on US Cellular, and that I spent some time looking into the details of some kind of deal between them and Verizon. I honestly can't say I've made any attempt to retain that information, so maybe it was just some kind of networking deal.

Anyway, thanks to those who answered my question. I'll just switch the data services back on. Looks like I went from "1x" to "1X" on my Storm so no EVDO connection, but mostly I just send/receive email so it should be fine. Hopefully this thread will be of use to someone else some day.
    12-26-08 02:08 PM
    Verizon bought RURAL cellular and is in the process of closing the purchase of alltel.

rural cellular is different than us cellular.
    12-28-08 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD