So normally I use anywhere from 1g to 2.5g a month with tethering.

I just got my new s2 last week,, last one had internal software failure.

Since this weekend I have used almost 70% of my data allowance, to the tune of 1g alone on sat, and upwards of 200-500m per day since.

Saturday is explained, as I watched a couple of episodes of a tv show, but the other days, are a little obnoxioius. I normally kick at about 89m to 150m a day, not 200m and up,, anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this.

I am with a new laptop running win7 and kaspersky,,, other than that I have no idea of what may use that much data when I am tethered.
    07-15-10 05:21 PM
    Sorry but how would we know why your data usage has gone up? It's you who is using it, so you should know what your doing. Unless you post your complete browsing history I don't see how we can be of any help to you.
    07-15-10 05:28 PM
    Probably Windows updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 07:04 PM
    Sorry I wasnt looking for a hard answer, I am more looking into Ideas as to what could be causing a surge in data.

I literally have used the bb to tether for the last two years,,, Have never gone over 3g for the month. My data resets on the 23rd, and I got a txt today that said I have used at least 90% of my data, this surge has only started this week. To the best of my knowledge, I have not changed my browsing habits. I am not viewing anymore than I normally do..... Yes I did some data saturday I know that. But this week alone,,, I have gotten a txt for 50% usage, 75% usage, and today 90% usage.

that means in one week when I never have before, I have used at least 40%of my data in one week.

Vat, There have been no windows updates this week but one... Sorry I was not clear,,, the laptop is new, but the updates out of box updates were done with a normal internet connection when first started and setting up, not on my tethering.

I am just trying to determine why I may have excessive data usage this week. Like I said in OP the only thing that has changed, is that I got a new S2 since my last one failed,,, But i cant see why that would cause and issue.

The only other thing that I have noticed, is that my wife has barely any data usage with her tether package, Is it possible that her tethering is being billed to my package? even tho they are two separate phones two separate laptops, two separate accounts?
    07-15-10 08:46 PM
    You should be able to look at the dates/times/amounts of your data in My Verizon to determine if there is any overlap in your wife's account. This should also give you an idea of when/if you started having a problem or why you might be using excessive data. Good luck.
    07-16-10 09:16 AM
    Yeah I logged onto verizon, and to no avail... apparently there is presently either a problem, or the feature has been shut off I can not find anywhere on the site to view data details. only usage.

07-16-10 09:29 AM
    I just remembered that I have recently started using YIM. Does anybody know if yim is a data hog?
    07-16-10 01:05 PM
    I dont get the point of this thread. Its not like Verizon can add "data used" to your account. If you used it, figure it out.
    07-16-10 08:09 PM
    Could be Kaspersky. Kaspersky does hourly antiviral updates, am i correct?
    07-17-10 06:48 PM
    Music,,, all I was asking if anyone had any thoughts as to why, I might be experiencing a surge in data usage after getting a new phone.

My account is at the limit right now and I cannot use until th 23rd.

just looking for thoughts on possible problems that may be causing high data usage.

As I stated my online usage has not changed with the exception of Yim which i mentioned in previous post. But yet as soon as I got a new S2 within the 30 day period, right after I got that my data usage skyrocketed.

I will just have to keep an eye on it once i start using it again on the 23rd.
    07-19-10 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD