Sprint to have a 3G femtocell before AT&T (Phone Arena News)

Haven't seen this in here yet.... Wonder where Verizon's target date is set for... or if it is in the works.... (i hope so!)

And before anyone asks, I want EVDO signal because my berry constantly drops off the Network Extender currently because it is trying to get EVDO... Besides, BBM seems to work better with an EVDO signal...
    07-02-09 07:55 PM
    It may not happen. Several companies, including Motorola, have announced they have stopped development of 3G femto components in favor of LTE. This may be a Sprint move to stave off roaming area devastation as VZW slows/stops CDMA deployment.

Femtos are of limited use on CDMA, but there could be enough advantages to LTE femtos that VZW may offer them at a subsidized rate or free. Then again, the 700MHz spectrum VZW picked up has excellent propagation indoors. AT&T would be better served by LTE femtos, as their spectrum isn't as strong indoors & has dramatically less bandwidth available.

I know VZW is testing LTE femtos, but as far as I know, nothing is decided. If they do offer them, it may be as a stopgap until their LTE network is better developed.

I have heard nothing on any VZW work/testing for 3G femtos. Doesn't mean they won't offer them, but it may mean they are shying away from them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 08:33 PM
    Now that would be sweet. An LTE extender that is.

07-02-09 10:14 PM
    It may not happen. Several companies, including Motorola, have announced they have stopped development of 3G femto components in favor of LTE. This may be a Sprint move to stave off roaming area devastation as VZW slows/stops CDMA deployment.

Femtos are of limited use on CDMA, but there could be enough advantages to LTE femtos that VZW may offer them at a subsidized rate or free. Then again, the 700MHz spectrum VZW picked up has excellent propagation indoors. AT&T would be better served by LTE femtos, as their spectrum isn't as strong indoors & has dramatically less bandwidth available.

I know VZW is testing LTE femtos, but as far as I know, nothing is decided. If they do offer them, it may be as a stopgap until their LTE network is better developed.

I have heard nothing on any VZW work/testing for 3G femtos. Doesn't mean they won't offer them, but it may mean they are shying away from them.

this is kind of the reason I have decided to not grab a current extender. I want better reception in my house but heck lte is just to close to buy hardware like this right now..

phones we change all the time.. but I was hoping to use this thing for a while at least 4-5 years
    07-03-09 01:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD