I drove into Alltel country yesterday, where I've never had any issues. My signal went to X. After battery pulls and wiping, it wouldn't go away. Toggled connections, it would say OFF, then X when I turned it back on.

I'm on my way back home, trying to think of how I can replace this phone with a new one (5th line, pay full price, cancel and get a Sprint phone, etc) ...

Doing tech support for Sprint, I've seen BB's do this before... out of nowhere I got FIVE BARS, but I had a roaming signal and EV. Not 1X. Not 1XEV. Just EV. I'd never heard of that.

I test the web, and it's working. I've had one customer say that before, I figured they were full of it. But mine was!

I throw the phone in the seat and while I'm driving, I thought to check the automatic/home only settings.

It was on HOME ONLY

I put it on Automatic, where I always have it, and BAM 1XEV and 3 bars and full service. The only thing I can think of was I may have put it on home only at work (poor reception area) to see if it would work, and forgot to put it back on.

But then I don't see how that setting would remain after wiping the phone? I need to figure out how to do the full wipe on a Verizon BB. The security wipe leaves stuff behind.
    08-02-09 05:30 PM
    Try doing this... Warning though can take ALONG TIME to resolve.

View Document
    08-02-09 06:26 PM
    If you read the whole post trim, he resolved the issue.

I see that all the time, customers phones on home only. "My phone works at my house but when I visit my sister it stops!"
    08-02-09 06:46 PM
    I've had it happen to me. Either it changed on its own or some gremlin did it in the middle of the night.

Since gremlins are not real...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD