We all knew that it was only a matter of time. Boy am I glad I came back when I did. Now I can hold on to my unlimited plan.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/24/verizon-ceo-confirms-plans-for-tiered-data-pricing/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-10 07:54 AM
    I am very interested in what the tiers really will end up being.......
    09-24-10 08:44 AM
    We all knew that it was only a matter of time. Boy am I glad I came back when I did. Now I can hold on to my unlimited plan.

Verizon CEO confirms plans for tiered data pricing -- Engadget

So we can keep our unlimited for as long as we're in our current contract? And then we would have to change when signing a new contract (like when you use your NE2 upgrade)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. The article didn't really go into much detail on that angle...

I had a strong feeling VZW would go to tiered data plans, but I don't like it. I know I probably don't use near the data to be worth the $29.99 a month I pay now...but I'm one of those people that would rather have more than I need as opposed to not enough! Overages aren't cheap.
    09-24-10 08:51 AM
    So we can keep our unlimited for as long as we're in our current contract? And then we would have to change when signing a new contract (like when you use your NE2 upgrade)?
    That's usually how it works. It would be considered a "Grandfathered" feature and you would keep it unless you upgraded or swithed devices. But I am sure we will learn more once it roles out.
    09-24-10 09:16 AM
    That's usually how it works. It would be considered a "Grandfathered" feature and you would keep it unless you upgraded or swithed devices. But I am sure we will learn more once it roles out.
    I figured we'd fall into the "grandfather" area. But it might suck when I am due for NE2 upgrade again, if they make me change to a tiered plan at that point.

Like you said though, we'll know more when they actually changed to the tiered plans.
    09-24-10 09:48 AM
    I'm sure its a lot like what happened with AT&T. If you have unlimited you cam keep unlimited as long as you stay with a smartphone. You can't downgrade and than upgrade back to unlimited. You can even upgrade across smartphones like BlackBerry to iPhone.

I don't use a lot of data with a BB but I do like having unlimited as a peace of mind.

09-24-10 01:25 PM
    I'm sure its a lot like what happened with AT&T. If you have unlimited you cam keep unlimited as long as you stay with a smartphone. You can't downgrade and than upgrade back to unlimited. You can even upgrade across smartphones like BlackBerry to iPhone.

I don't use a lot of data with a BB but I do like having unlimited as a peace of mind.

That would be awesome if they did it like that. I don't use a ton of data myself, but I too enjoy the peace of mind that comes with unlimited. I don't like surprises on my bill!
    09-24-10 01:54 PM
    yea i dont use that much but i dont want to have to think about it either...i dont want to have to check my usage at the end of the week to make sure i dont go over data and its harder to keep track of then call muents if your gonna manage it without checking it
    09-24-10 04:29 PM
    Hmm..id be pretty fine with a tiered plan and drop a couple bucks from my bill. Maybe they'll allow for a 250 mb plan for $15 like at&T and allow smartphones into that plan.
    09-24-10 05:22 PM
    I'm sure not looking forward to that. In the past 10 days I've already used over 1gb of data and that's not tethering. It would be nice if they offered unlimited data in addition to the tiered plans. I'm lucky I upgraded to something I'll be happy with for a while.
    09-24-10 10:03 PM
    This should not be a surprise to anyone. I just hope they offer tiers that are sensible.

Or they go to a plan that you pay a base of say $7 but the rate goes up in $5increments when you cross the next GB threshold.
    09-25-10 06:33 AM
    You don't expect that the LTE (4G) upgrade is going to come without cost or consequence, do you???

I can guarantee that if you want LTE, then you will be forced into a tiered plan. Don't think for a minute that VZW is only upgrading the network to attract new subscribers. In any business, the question that the top of the food chain always asks is how long will it take to get "a return on my investment". VZW has to pay for all these upgrades!!!
    09-25-10 09:58 AM
    Yay, I'll be grandfathered for $30 a month with an 8330. I'm stuck in a family plan and my phone is basically free, with unlimited everything but I'm really tired of having to choose between this outdated phone or an Android.
    09-25-10 07:24 PM

You said it!!!

09-28-10 07:10 PM
    I am due for a contract renewal at the end of January 2011. Should I renew it now to ensure I can keep my unlimited data for another two years? I kind of feel better knowing I have unlimited since I use slacker and tether quite often

Thanks

10-02-10 11:05 AM
    As long as you don't change or remove the unlimited, you'll be able to keep it. You'll be okay.

10-02-10 12:47 PM
    I've changed devices many times over the years that I've had VZW (both by replacing a non-working phone when needed, and by using the "New Every 2" upgrade option), and have never been required to change anything on my service plan unless I wanted to.. Whatever plan you have in place, even if it's from an old promotional deal that is no longer offered, will just get extended for another 2 years unless you state otherwise. I still have the OLD "unlimited" plan
    for $59.99/mo. for my mobile broadband, which isn't available any more.

I figure I'll probably just keep my personal phone on the unlimited plan, and we'll do the same for our business phones, just because it's easier not to have to closely watch the usage and worry about overages.
    10-05-10 12:36 AM
    I've changed devices many times over the years that I've had VZW (both by replacing a non-working phone when needed, and by using the "New Every 2" upgrade option), and have never been required to change anything on my service plan unless I wanted to.. Whatever plan you have in place, even if it's from an old promotional deal that is no longer offered, will just get extended for another 2 years unless you state otherwise. I still have the OLD "unlimited" plan
    for $59.99/mo. for my mobile broadband, which isn't available any more.

I figure I'll probably just keep my personal phone on the unlimited plan, and we'll do the same for our business phones, just because it's easier not to have to closely watch the usage and worry about overages.
    This is good information thank you for the post. Nothing has really changed on my bill over the years either

10-05-10 01:40 PM
    You don't expect that the LTE (4G) upgrade is going to come without cost or consequence, do you???

I can guarantee that if you want LTE, then you will be forced into a tiered plan. Don't think for a minute that VZW is only upgrading the network to attract new subscribers. In any business, the question that the top of the food chain always asks is how long will it take to get "a return on my investment". VZW has to pay for all these upgrades!!!
    Yes, because $30/mo from millions in just data plans isn't enough to cover the costs of the network
    10-05-10 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD