I do not have service in my building at work----it is a dead zone for Verizon. If you call me, my phone will not ring however, if you leave a voicemail, I get that notification but i cannot check it. I get emails, text messages and BBms all day long which I can read and respond to. I can also get crackberry wap forum. Why can I do all of that but not make nor receive phone calls?
    01-08-09 09:19 PM
    bump.....anyone????
    01-09-09 09:04 PM
    Hmm, you mean there aren't 1000 ppl following you around? People dropping from helicopters? Those VZW commercials led me to believe this was the case...

Anyway, data can piece itself together over time, so a very weak/intermittent signal can eventually yield results for data such as text messages/notifications, vut voice communication requires continuous connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 09:18 PM
    No carrier will garrantee any signal insdoe of building. WHy data is working and cakks are not? Who knows. BUt if your calls work everywhere else, then it is the building
    01-09-09 09:19 PM
    I do not have service in my building at work----it is a dead zone for Verizon. If you call me, my phone will not ring however, if you leave a voicemail, I get that notification but i cannot check it. I get emails, text messages and BBms all day long which I can read and respond to. I can also get crackberry wap forum. Why can I do all of that but not make nor receive phone calls?
    Next to the signal strength bar is a 1XEV (should read this way normally). When the signal strength lowers this will change to 1EV and when this happens the functions of the phone will lessen as well, ie no phone calls. This is a normal thing that was pointed out once you are in some buildings.

The phone has a frequency for phone calls and one for email. Which is why you get message and not phone calls.

Now for those who still don't understand, look at this way. If your BB allows press ALT and the letters N M L L and this will change the signal strength from bars to actual numbers. The optimal range is anywhere from -65 to -95 with the average being around -85. However, once you reach -95 to -110 that is when the signal strength lessens and the chances are that you will not receive calls.

Hopefully this will help in understanding the way BB phones work.
    01-09-09 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD