07-03-09 03:44 AM
29 12
tools
    ok, can't post pictures...

Blackberry Plans:

Email and Web for Blackberry - $29.99/mo
    Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage - $49.99/mo

when you click on both options, the first basically describes a BIS server situation, but doesn't really show any limit on data. the later has a 1 line tool tip, and doesn't describe much...

whats the deal?
    Last edited by libuff; 05-13-08 at 08:04 AM.
    05-13-08 08:02 AM
    The first is just a BIS so you get unlimited data and email.

The second is only needed if you're using the BES, basicaly if you're going through the corporate firewall.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-08 08:08 AM
    Thats correct.
    05-13-08 08:11 AM
    Can someone define BIS for me?

Nevermind, found it:

BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service. Basically, this is a service from your provider that lets you receive email and access the internet on personal Blackberries. BIS differs from BES, or Blackberry Enterprise Server, in that BIS retrieves personal email whereas BES retrieves corporate email. Normally, BIS provides push email for up to 10 non-corporate email accounts and some form of internet data service, whether that be a set MB limit, or unlimited.
    Last edited by MyThai; 05-13-08 at 11:14 AM.
    05-13-08 08:35 AM
    vzw states... the first is capped at 10mb, the second is unlimited

05-13-08 08:43 AM
    5 gb cap on the bb service which if u aren't hooking it up to ur computer is plenty

05-13-08 09:10 AM
    The 10 mb is 24.99 the 29.99 BIS plan is blackberry email and web, which like they said is a 5gb cap, which should be more than enough. The 44.99 plan is unlimited date which like they said above would be good for tethering and is also needed if you used BES which is If you're going through your work corporate email. most consumer users only need the BIS( which is what I have)

05-13-08 09:34 AM
    The first is just a BIS so you get unlimited data and email.

The second is only needed if you're using the BES, basicaly if you're going through the corporate firewall.

Having BES has NOTHING to do with going through a corporate firewall. It has to do with whether or not your company has a BES server and attaches your BB to that server.

I use BIS setup and the connection still goes through my corporate firewall.
    05-13-08 10:14 AM
    Another clarification: If you will be using it through a BES, the 29.99 data plan won't work. I've worked with countless users who couldn't activate and when they called Verizon it was discovered that they had the BIS data plan and needed to upgrade.
    05-13-08 11:24 AM
    so if i am just a casual BB user that checks gmail, goes online once in awhile, and occassionally checks something out on youtube, is the 29.99 plan enough? (Email & Web for blackberry).

i just got the curve this week and don't want to hav to pay a TON of money b/c i went over or anything
    05-13-08 11:27 AM
    so if i am just a casual BB user that checks gmail, goes online once in awhile, and occassionally checks something out on youtube, is the 29.99 plan enough? (Email & Web for blackberry).

i just got the curve this week and don't want to hav to pay a TON of money b/c i went over or anything
    Yes, that is plenty.
    05-13-08 01:50 PM
    See, the woman at the store told me that the 29.99 was unlimited. WTF?
    05-13-08 07:52 PM
    In Verizon-speak, "unlimited" is defined as 5gb...

Hey! I just noticed...another O&A fan!! The Virus is everywhere....
    05-13-08 07:59 PM
    Well WaddleDoodle-eh! Bone dry!

05-13-08 08:49 PM
    Alright, I was wrong! Above corrected me, BES is only needed for the exchange server which is what I meant, I have too many things mixed up, sorry!

05-13-08 08:56 PM
    Im looking for claification on the 29.99 plan. One verizon person told me it was unlimited....then another told me it was 10mb. But if I am using Jivetalk is 10mb going to be enough?
    05-13-08 10:58 PM
    These are the plans:

24.99 is for 10 MB of internet/e-mail
    29.99 is for unlimited internet/e-mail for consumers (BIS)
    49.99 is for unlimited internet/e-mail for corporate users (BES)

those are the 3 plans. the first one is pretty much obsolete as there's no reason to pay $25 dollars a month for a limited amount of data when you can pay $5 more for unlimited.

unlimited = 5GB, which should be MORE than plenty.
    05-14-08 01:18 AM
    These are the plans:

24.99 is for 10 MB of internet/e-mail
    29.99 is for unlimited internet/e-mail for consumers (BIS)
    49.99 is for unlimited internet/e-mail for corporate users (BES)

those are the 3 plans. the first one is pretty much obsolete as there's no reason to pay $25 dollars a month for a limited amount of data when you can pay $5 more for unlimited.

unlimited = 5GB, which should be MORE than plenty.
    So the only difference in BES and BIS is that corporate users have to pay $20 a month to get their work email on their BB?

I opted for the BES plan because I wanted work email on my BB. I am receiving work email on my BB. All is good. I'm confused because I just looked at the:

Options - Advanced - Enterprise Activation and it says Email (it's blank) Password (it's also blank) Pin (has Pin number) and Status (Not Activated)

So as I understand it, the BES is not even activated and I'm getting work email. So do I even need the BES now?
    Last edited by Fizzle1979; 05-14-08 at 01:00 PM.
    05-14-08 12:49 PM
    I'm not exactly sure how the BES system works. I believe it has something to do with syncing your e-mail to your corporation's enterprise server, but I could be wrong and honestly have no idea how it works. I do know that the 20 dollar difference is the difference between using it as a consumer or corporate user. Other people on this forum would have a better idea of the reason for the rate difference, and the functionalities of both plans.
    05-14-08 06:11 PM
    I'm not exactly sure how the BES system works. I believe it has something to do with syncing your e-mail to your corporation's enterprise server, but I could be wrong and honestly have no idea how it works. I do know that the 20 dollar difference is the difference between using it as a consumer or corporate user. Other people on this forum would have a better idea of the reason for the rate difference, and the functionalities of both plans.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that people are paying $20.00 a month to have their work email pushed to their BB? As far as data usage, it's the same plan?
    05-15-08 10:58 AM
    Bes gives you ota syncing to your corporate server, your IT dept has to finish the setup, most folk that need it have a company supplied berry.
    For us commoners bis @ 29.99 is all we need. You will never get close to 5gig unless you're streaming orb. On a bis plan, you can forward your company email to a pop account, if your company allows it.
    Vzw had to put the 5gig cap out, due to a class action from a bunch of folk that got canceled for excessive data use, which was also mostly due to dun hacking and illegal tethering.

05-15-08 11:39 AM
    When ordering the Curve last week I ordered with the BES plan, I got my two year discount, some advance device credit and the instant rebate so that dropped the $319 price to $69. I thought I got the ADC because I was ordering the BES package. Which maybe I'm wrong. But I'm wondering if I switch to the BIS plan, will they try to charge me that $100 back?

I'm on the VZW website now. I have to options:

BLACKBERRY 10MB W/BROADBAND $24.99/month
    BLACKBERRY UNLIMITED BBA $44.99/month

I currently have the $44.99 plan but I can survive on the $24.99 plan if my work email is already being sent to my BB without using the enterprise activation right?

Never mind I get what I need to do. I called VZW up and requested to switch to the BB feature 73618 for $29.99 unlimited email and web and the rep did it. I wonder why they don't show that as an option online??? Kinda crappy of VZW!!!

Before switch:

After switch:

Last edited by Fizzle1979; 05-15-08 at 01:09 PM.
    05-15-08 12:31 PM
    That is odd indeed. When I visit my online account, the $24.99 option doesn't even show up. I knew it existed, but figured it was by far the least popular (after all, if you're going to pay 25 a month for data, you might as well pay the extra 5 to not be limited). The 29.99 plan does show up though (on my account).
    05-15-08 04:09 PM
    I would most certainly *611 and ask 'em in person. Don't waste time with the features on the site, they are never truly accurate IMO.
    05-15-08 06:45 PM
    Thanks this helped a lot.
    03-27-09 09:21 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD