If I buy a blackberry off of eBay can I get around the data plan? :P

On a more serious note.... If I buy a new in box never activated VZW blackberry off eBay and activate it on my line, will Verizon honor the warranty?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 01:38 PM
    about the first question, nope you can't activate a blackberry without a data plan on verizon, even if you don't buy it from verizon. they will not activate the blackberry unless you have a data plan on it.

i'm not sure about your second question, sorry...
    03-12-09 01:48 PM
    about the first question, nope you can't activate a blackberry without a data plan on verizon, even if you don't buy it from verizon. they will not activate the blackberry unless you have a data plan on it.

i'm not sure about your second question, sorry...
    wow that sucks. i thought it would be okay since its not bought through them, isnt it just like buyign any other phone on ebay or whatnot and activating it? but then again, whats a BB without a data plan? jus a big phone with calendar functions.
    03-12-09 01:54 PM
    As redsoxrocker said, Verizon won't activate a Blackberry with out a data plan and it won't work properly with out it. The phone will work, but nothing else.

As to your question about warranty, the warranty is from BlackBerry and not Verizon so it shouldn't really matter where you get the phone. However, I am sure that BlackBerry will base the warranty off of the original purchase date. If you are referring to the insurance the Verizon offers, that is done by an outside company and I believe they will require the purchasing information from Verizon in order for you to file a claim. They will probably let you pay for the insurance service though.
    03-12-09 01:55 PM
    The question about the data plan was a joke.... Apparently no one else read that thread?

So if I don't purchase from vzw the insurance won't work either? Thinking of just putting the phone on homeowners anyway so I can get new instead of refurbished when I file

03-12-09 02:02 PM
    From a vzw rep. No and no.

03-12-09 02:38 PM
    I have a Blackberry Storm that when my company announced closing our facility I re-activated an old phone.

I called Verizon back last week and re-activated my phone. The rep that I talked to was not going to add the data plan onto my account, I had to ask for it to be added. depending on who you get on the phone, you may be able to get around the data plan.

The insurance option is only available on phones purchased from verizon directly. Verizon will not insure the phone because they cannot verify the condition when purchased. unfortunately there is no way around that unless you insure it yourself through a third party.
    03-12-09 02:40 PM
    I didn't think so ....... Thanks for the confirmation

03-12-09 03:02 PM
    I have activated a blackberry with Verizon without a data plan before. Its been about 4 years though. Bought it for text messaging before I actually had a need for one.

03-14-09 01:27 AM
    I have activated a blackberry with Verizon without a data plan before. Its been about 4 years though. Bought it for text messaging before I actually had a need for one.

Four years ago it was possible. Today it is not. As stated above even if a rep foret sto add a plan, the system will do it automatically. What I have to watch for that some do not, is the system will default to the $44.95 plan, and if not caught, then that is what you get charged.

Now most customers do not ever catch this as most DO NOT review their bill. I still get calls to that me look like hero when I tell them that I can save them $15 per month on their data plan.

Then they ask what about the past 8 months? can you credit this? I do not issue credits for customers that do not review their bill. I review mine every month to assure that 2 family members do not abuse the rules .

Then I get also calls that go the other way. Where a customer or IT person calls and the $29.99 data plan was entered and should have been $44.99 plan. This known and they are okay with this, but had the right questions been asked up front then this would have resulted in one less call and inconvienece for someone.
    03-14-09 08:31 AM
    I just got my first BB off eBay and activated it online. There was a page that stated I did have to add the $30 data and I had to accept it.

I talked with a BB rep and a CS rep who both stated the insurance I had on my Juke would carry over to the new device and cover it if I had problems.

The insurance company is Asurion, the same one Sprint uses and I know they cover devices when customers at Sprint change devices. I don't see why they wouldn't with a Verizon phone.
    03-14-09 09:29 AM
    Insurance is like a certain traffic laws. It is only enforced if caught.

In a real world would you, the owner of an insurance co. insure anything you do not know the history of. Would you want to pay a claim on a device that purchased from ebay and when activated that did not work? Think about it, not a good business decision.

The info given by these reps is incorrect - when I get a call to activate a phone I check our system. it will auto note if a device is purchased from VZW or indirect seller. If this is not here, no ifs ands or butts , the insurance is coming off the account.
    03-14-09 09:40 AM
    I called vzw earlier to put my Juke on another line, I spoke with a lady about the insurance. She confirmed that my ebay Blackberry is NOT covered, but that my Juke is still covered even though it's not on a line (?).

So I canceled the insurance, but she said now my Juke isn't covered on the other line, but the phone that was on the line is covered, though it's not in use.

Either way, we have a back up phone laying around to go to in case of emergency, if my BB craps out or whatever, looks like I'll go back on ebay and get another one.

I think I'm going to call Asurion myself and try to find out about the deal with the phones of our customers, because we've always been told any phone put on the line is insured.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if everyone I've ever told this that needed the insurance later on was told by Asurion their phone isn't covered since they did a swap to a used line. That's the Sprint way, right?
    03-21-09 09:24 PM
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if everyone I've ever told this that needed the insurance later on was told by Asurion their phone isn't covered since they did a swap to a used line. That's the Sprint way, right?
    Pretty much - but remember that Asurion is pretty much the only deal in town through a carrier. They can write their own policies.

This is why I go through my own - they don't act like I am a second-rate customer.
    03-22-09 01:49 PM
    What kinda sucks, is that if you switch to a second hand phone online via the ESN swapper, it lets you keep the insurance on the phone. So you could be paying 5 bucks a month for a phone they wont cover!
    03-22-09 03:21 PM
    What kinda sucks, is that if you switch to a second hand phone online via the ESN swapper, it lets you keep the insurance on the phone. So you could be paying 5 bucks a month for a phone they wont cover!
    Well if you know this info, then it is up to you call and have it removed. THe system is far flawless and if you claim, I would chances are you will get the phone replaced. If caught, se la ve! Dang Did I speak French?
    03-22-09 03:24 PM
    If caught, se la ve! Dang Did I speak French?
    Um, no you didn't. Unsure what language that is.

Maybe you meant c'est la vie, or, in English, that's what life's made of. You can take it or leave it. Literal translation: that's the life.

03-22-09 03:59 PM
    Um, no you didn't. Unsure what language that is.

Maybe you meant c'est la vie, or, in English, that's what life's made of. You can take it or leave it. Literal translation: that's the life.

hahaha I said speak this was the intent- never said I spelled it right. Very good
    03-22-09 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD