I spoke with a very helpful CS who passed on some useful information for those of us who like to swap BB's. This is a must know. Here you go guys.

To change your phone on Verizon you no longer need to go online, here is the the process.

Turn off and remove battery from old BB
    Dial *228 option 3 on your new BB
    After phone swap has occured redial *228 option 1.

It took only 5 minutes to swap between my tour and my storm and back.

So I hope this helps your BBers out as much as it has me.
    07-15-09 01:29 AM
    I spoke with a very helpful CS who passed on some useful information for those of us who like to swap BB's. This is a must know. Here you go guys.

To change your phone on Verizon you no longer need to go online, here is the the process.

Turn off and remove battery from old BB
    Dial *228 option 3 on your new BB
    After phone swap has occured redial *228 option 1.

It took only 5 minutes to swap between my tour and my storm and back.

So I hope this helps your BBers out as much as it has me.
    Yea that's how I swap esn's to, they getting it bout as easy as swapping sims
    If you go between dumbphone and smartphone it will usually transfer to CS as they need to make changes to your account.
    07-15-09 01:49 AM
    For the record:

EVEN IF THIS FAILS, it records the correct ESN into the remarks for a rep to copy and paste, thereby completing the change in a matter of seconds. Let the call transfer you, and the rep can push the change through. If you get a care rep asking what your ESN is after doing this, tell them to look in the remarks.

Being a tech rep, I ask that *every* customer do this when you want to change an ESN for any reason (unless you're calling the contract number for a newly purchased phone). It gives us the correct ESN every time. Because if a phone can't be programmed after an ESN swap, it is one of two reasons:

1. Incorrect ESN and/or

2. ESN on two lines at same time.

The former happens most of the time, when people mistake 8s for Bs, Ds for 0s and such like that. The latter is rare and is usually done on purpose on phones that support multiple phone numbers. It merely requires manual programming to work. (PRL must be flashed into the phone for data.)
    07-15-09 03:24 AM
    Something else to consider -
    Make sure your BB battery is out of the old one.
    it can cause whats called a hung session - Data not able to come through for 24 hrs.
    I have had many a customer activate one phone will checkin email on the other(pull your head out please) and they blame us for the issue.
    So just make sure that first step is done with the other BB batt out!
    07-15-09 12:45 PM
    What if I'm trying to do this between a tour and a chocolate. I've been trying for an hour. I was transfered to CS after doing *228 and she said she can't help me because I'm not the main account holder (my mom is) even though I know 100x more than my mom would.
    07-15-09 12:48 PM
    What if I'm trying to do this between a tour and a chocolate. I've been trying for an hour. I was transfered to CS after doing *228 and she said she can't help me because I'm not the main account holder (my mom is) even though I know 100x more than my mom would.
    1. Get your mom to put u on there.
    2. soft reset.
    3. take the bat out of the choco.
    4. try ota opt. 3
    5. if its not working it might be becuz you are on the phone.
    07-16-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD