I was a tmo customer for years and decided to switch to Verizon for the Storm. I got a letter today from tmo asking why I had decided not to resign with them and offered me a real good discount to come back. I ordered my Storm though Let'sTalk.com and haven't got it yet in the mail or even activated it with Verizon. I want to keep the Storm and go back to tmo, how can I do this without paying a ETF?
    07-06-09 11:20 PM
    I was a tmo customer for years and decided to switch to Verizon for the Storm. I got a letter today from tmo asking why I had decided not to resign with them and offered me a real good discount to come back. I ordered my Storm though Let'sTalk.com and haven't got it yet in the mail or even activated it with Verizon. I want to keep the Storm and go back to tmo, how can I do this without paying a ETF?
    Sounds like you need to talk to Let'sTalk.com
    07-06-09 11:34 PM
    So are you asking how to steal the phone and get away with a free Storm?

But, you can always go to LetsTalk.com and read their return policy but you won't be able to steal the phone that way.
    07-06-09 11:37 PM
    I don't believe the WFG applies to purchases from LetsTalk.com - but if it did, you would have to return it or pay full price for it.

And if you don't pay them, they don't release the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 11:48 PM
    Ain't happening, chief.

Process the return under Let's Talk. Then either buy a Storm full retail or buy one with a clean ESN on Ebay or craigslist.

Otherwise it's stealing. Plain and simple.
    07-06-09 11:48 PM
    I in no way got the Storm for free($189.99). I know all about the charge backs I'll get from Let'sTalk.com but I don't want a ETF from Verizon in case I switch to them in the future. Since I didn't buy the phone from them(Verizon) can't I cancel the line? The phone hasn't even been activated yet...
    07-06-09 11:57 PM
    It's a subsidized price you pay. You pay the $189.99 on the expectation that you will fulfill the 2yr contract. If you don't, you get charged an ETF.
    07-07-09 12:24 AM
    No one seems to understand what I'm asking, I know I'll have to pay Let'sTalk.com FULL RETAIL($549.99) or close to that. Doesn't the WFG cover something like this? I know my credit card will be charged the full retail(or close to it) price for the Storm. Let's say it this way, since I DIDN'T buy the phone FROM VERIZON let's treat the phone as an used eBay bought phone. Couldn't I call and tell vzw I don't want to continue with the contract?
    07-07-09 12:27 AM
    Yes, if you pay full retail you will not have to pay an ETF. $189.99 is NOT full retail.

If you cancel the contract under WFG (and that's only IF Let's Talk will honor it) you have to return the device or pay an equipment chargeback (full retail) for it.
    07-07-09 12:36 AM
    I know all about the equipment chargeback, I was asking about the ETF and dropping the contract. I don't want to pay FULL RETAIL for my phone AND a ETF. I have dealt with Let'sTalk.com a lot before now and they don't deal with the service side of the contract just the equipment side. Are you saying vzw will contact Let'sTalk.com and ask if they can do a WFG drop?
    07-07-09 12:45 AM
    It could work but you will need to get the storm unlocked. Since you will not be activating it on verizon you will most likely have to get a paid unlock (10 to 50 dollars).

07-07-09 12:46 AM
    We understand perfectly - what you don't get is that a phone through LetsTalk or WireFly is double-subsidized. VZW gives the subsidized price & LetsTalk gets a commission, which they split with you, in the form of an extra subsidy.

Now the clincher - there is a double risk on your credit PLUS a locked phone to look at.

07-07-09 12:46 AM
    Yep, what Twins said.

Now if you pay full retail, we won't charge an ETF. That being said, I cannot guarantee what Let's Talk will or won't charge you.
    07-07-09 12:52 AM
    We understand perfectly - what you don't get is that a phone through LetsTalk or WireFly is double-subsidized. VZW gives the subsidized price & LetsTalk gets a commission, which they split with you, in the form of an extra subsidy.

Now the clincher - there is a double risk on your credit PLUS a locked phone to look at.

I know all about the equipment chargeback, I was asking about the ETF and dropping the contract. I don't want to pay FULL RETAIL for my phone AND a ETF.
    I have already said I know all about the equipment chargeback, I was only talking about the ETF... And I know a guy that will unlock it for less then $10
    Last edited by HondaDNA; 07-07-09 at 01:21 AM.
    07-07-09 01:13 AM
    Ok... the best way to do this, if you really want to, is to return the phone to LetsTalk.com and just undo the entire order. Then, go into your local Verizon and just ask to buy a Storm without activating it. They can just sell one out to you as an item sale. Regardless, the phone you bought from LetsTalk has been slated at this point for a 2yr contract, so for that particular one, I'd really just return it to avoid the confusion.
    07-07-09 01:29 PM
    You will get charged an ETF. You bought a phone through a reseller of Verizon, they probably have some wacky contractual agreements where you will have to pay them something and for your Verizon account to be terminated.

If you pay the full retail the VERIZON ETF will probably be eventually credited back to you.
    07-07-09 01:52 PM
    Ok... the best way to do this, if you really want to, is to return the phone to LetsTalk.com and just undo the entire order. Then, go into your local Verizon and just ask to buy a Storm without activating it. They can just sell one out to you as an item sale. Regardless, the phone you bought from LetsTalk has been slated at this point for a 2yr contract, so for that particular one, I'd really just return it to avoid the confusion.
    Verizon policy is to not sell a phone without activating it. Just a heads up. It was policy when I was a sales rep a year ago. Maybe it's changed....
    07-08-09 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD