Recently got into a discussion with another rep about what smartphones are best for email. He has a palm running email through versamail and I have a bb using the BIS. I thought obviously the BB is superior, you have the BIS site and thats the easiest way to manage email accounts. Got me thinking about what type of email verizon cust's like most. Between Versa Mail on palm, Window Mobile, or the BB email setup through the BIS.
    07-24-09 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry is the easiest to setup and because of the intermediate server, the most transparent on the handset end. But it isn't a huge advantage & BlackBerry can also be the most problematic.

I have never had to resend service books that mysteriously were corrupted when using a Palm or WinMo phone. Also, when there are RIM server hiccups, like the ones that keep cropping up with greater frequency lately, Palm & WinMo phones keep getting email, while BlackBerry devices go silent.

In the past year, I have probably seen a grand total of four days of no email on BlackBerry, due to phone or server malfunctions. Zero problems on other phones, because as long as there is a simple data connection, non-BlackBerrys still send/receive email.

There are pros and cons to each processing method. In my mind, if you have important email you need now, you probably don't want to rely on BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:01 AM
    Another glaring disadvantage on blackberry is the inability to access the different folders on a imap server ( BIS ). You would think that since blackberry is suppose to be the last word in mobile email they would have all the little things like that buttoned up

Last edited by sprke81; 07-24-09 at 12:54 PM.
    07-24-09 10:10 AM
    Some day... We hope lol
    07-24-09 10:11 AM
    Probably not - it would force them to open access & cost extra bandwidth, on the server end.

But we can hope.

07-24-09 10:30 AM
    Late yesterday afternoon my email alert started chiming like crazy. When it finally stopped I had 9 messages from earlier this month...July 7, 8, & 9. I thought it odd back then that the messages showed up on my laptop but not my Curve and then forgot about it until yesterday. I have owned this device since November '08 and this is the only time this has happened. Is this a common but sporadic event with a BlackBerry?

07-24-09 02:18 PM
    No. You're gonna want to check the bis site for that issue. Make sure you emails are validated.
    07-24-09 02:21 PM