08-03-08 05:22 AM
38 12
    Yep I remeber the 1971 Sylamr and 1994 Northridge earthqaukes. I was 1.5 mi west of the epicenter in Northridge. Had over 100k in damage to the house.

When I left work, there was a noted outtage in the LA area where people are getting all circuits are busy.

From what I understand for those that felt the Northridge eathqauke that bigger ones shuld not shake harder, just a while lot longer.
    07-29-08 05:06 PM
    i work for vzw and the reason for the service outage was due to the high volume of traffic that instantly hit the circuits. calls werent being connected due to the circuits being busy
    07-29-08 07:24 PM
    I had minor trouble with voice calls within the first 15 minutes but BIS traffic was normal. I read that the load exceeded VZW's worst-case expectations for a major disaster here by 40% but this wasn't even a minor disaster. Hope you guys reset the bar and act accordingly!

Verizon landline and DSL were fine though, all the more reason to keep it them.

I grew up here, lived with earthquakes for 46 years. The only one that scared me was the Northridge quake. Lived in the Hollywood Hills at the time and to look out on the LA basin and see almost nothing but blackness was horrific. So were the bits of ceiling hitting my head while I was scrambling to get out of bed.

The scary part about this one is that it started the same way; significant rolling. Northridge started with that then a few seconds later all **** broke loose. So, when it started to roll I headed for cover - I curled up in the corner of an adjacent hallway from my home office.

Earthquake rescue experts call these "void areas" because even if the structure collapses there are usually small voids left in the strongest parts of the structure (NOT doorways). The key is to either curl up and lie flat if in a corner, or lie flat, face down, against a (preferably load bearing) wall.

If the structure does collapse, and if there are any survivable areas, that's where they'll be. Most survivors of devastating quakes are normally found in theese void areas.

Desks and such don't work, btw, you'll just get mushed under the furniture. The most rugged desk ever made is no match for a roof coming down!

The best spot is in a corner of an exterior wall, ironically, because it's a structural triangle of sorts. Even if the walls collapse and the roof comes down, the material of the wall normally crushes into a pile of debris that can prevent the roof (or floors) above you from -totally- pancaking. If you're lucky you'll have just enough space to survive in.
    07-30-08 04:00 AM
    This is very true kwsmithphoto. Its called "Triangles of Life". These voids can be found by laying down next to couches, beds, large file cabinets, desks, cars if out doors in a parking garage, and other office and home furnishings. Now this all depends on surroundings and the ability to get out of the structure you are in.

A sad but true story from a Search and Rescue (SAR) Team that helped in a large Mexico quake. The team found that children under the desk were crushed by the desk failing to support weight of the building. SAR team found these "Triangles of Life" next to the school desk.

Living in Northern CA all of us should be ready for the next Big One so to speak. And plan on three days without the help and response in the event of a major quake.

Take Care everyone...!
    Last edited by WillClark; 08-01-08 at 12:10 PM.
    08-01-08 12:06 PM
    Right, well I didn't want to mention it but that does bring up the morbid concept that maybe you're better off dead than being stuck in a void for several days...then dying. I'm claustrophobic so the idea of being trapped in a collapsed building with barely enough room to breathe is absolutely terrifying to me, like being buried alive.

It's something I definitely pondered while curled up in the corner the other day...
    08-01-08 05:10 PM
    I was in Agoura Hills visiting relatives and we felt nothing at all.
    08-02-08 12:31 AM
    I thought the earthquake was scary but then I went to Universal Studios yesterday and during the studio tour you get to experience an 8 point something earthquake where you're in an underground tunnel. That was SOOOOOO scary!!! I think I almost wet myself!
    08-02-08 12:36 AM
    I have to agree with you. The idea of being trapped is not on the top of my list of things to overcome. I also know that we as humans have an amazing will to survive when faced with life threating situations. I hope none of us are faced with such challenges, but knowing yourself and your surroundings is half the battle.

I have to admit an earthquake is my worst fear. A force which is so powerful and unpredictable. I was lucky to have been in the 1989 SF quake which was actually closer to Santa Cruz than San Francisco M6.9-M7.1. I was also lucky enough to experience one tornado in OKC and don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind going the rest of my life with out seeing another tornado, but earthquakes are higher on my list of things to avoid. Well since we live in CA thats not going to happen anytime soon. I guess its the price we pay for everything else.

Universal Studios is a lot of fun... I would be lying if I said that didn't make the hair stand up on the back of my neck...! Hey is there still damage from the fire? Is the King Kong portion of the ride still working? I'm heading down to Disneyland and Universal in August.

Well hope all is well with everyone and have a great weekend...

Take Care
    08-02-08 02:21 AM
    They are already rebuilding the area that was burned. King Kong and the Back to the Future sets were burned and aren't there anymore.
    08-02-08 02:24 AM
    Wow I better change my line of work, sounds like I hate disasters period! Maybe Disney is hiring, nothing can go wrong while at Disneyland...

Well thats no fun... I knew there was a lot of damage but was hoping things would be back to normal... Oh well... Thanks for the report! Have a great night and weekend....

08-02-08 02:42 AM
    I agree WillClark. Back in 1994 Northridge quake, I had swapped my sift to have that off. If not I would have had a 5 ton beam fall about 3 feet from me. I know this beacuse the guy that took my shift had that happen. Drives me crazy with all the lifes what if's.
    08-02-08 06:43 AM
    I agree WillClark. Back in 1994 Northridge quake, I had swapped my sift to have that off. If not I would have had a 5 ton beam fall about 3 feet from me. I know this beacuse the guy that took my shift had that happen. Drives me crazy with all the lifes what if's.
    Yikes. Hope your friend is OK now. That was a bad one.

The good news for those of us in the LA basin is that if the San Andreas rips a big one, the epicenter will be really far away from urban LA. Palmdale/Lancaster...er not so much but for those of us West of the San Gabriel Range, even an 8.0 on the SA fault we should be relatively OK. Definitely bad, but not much worse than 1994 in terms of the greater LA Basin.

Then again there's the Newport-Inglewood fault the runs right under downtown LA, and is primed for a 6 or a 7 any time. If that sucker lets loose, well, just pray your aren't in downtown LA when it happens because it's gonna be ugly.

Those of us who live and work at the beach face a thrust fault between the shores and Catalina. If that sucker lets loose with a big one we're talking world class Tsunami, if the energy heads east, which is probable. No warning system will work because it'll nail us in a minute or three.

All those happy facts on the table, there is still no better big city to live in the US than Los Angeles, IMO. Hurricanes blow and tornadoes suck, but earthquakes just rock!
    08-03-08 04:32 AM
    Hmm I am on the eascoast but I was talking on the phone with someone that was in LA and the call was perfectly clear
    Minus all the screaming lol
    But I hope no one was hurt :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 05:22 AM
38 12