I was offered "early" upgrade by VZW and want to know if I HAVE to get my phone thru them only or can I buy the phone at "upgrade" price from an authorized Verizon dealer and activate afterwards. I am hearing conflicting reports from BOTH VZW (only thru them) and authorized dealers (yes also thru them) so I am seeking to get the facts straight. Obviously cheaper from authorized dealers so...
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 05:52 PM
    I was offered "early" upgrade by VZW and want to know if I HAVE to get my phone thru them only or can I buy the phone at "upgrade" price from an authorized Verizon dealer and activate afterwards. I am hearing conflicting reports from BOTH VZW (only thru them) and authorized dealers (yes also thru them) so I am seeking to get the facts straight. Obviously cheaper from authorized dealers so...
    Thanks!

Usually, an early upgrade isn't honored through 3rd party retailers. Their systems will not show that you're currently eligible for an upgrade. All they can see is your actual upgrade NE2 date.
    01-03-11 07:59 PM
    Usually, an early upgrade isn't honored through 3rd party retailers. Their systems will not show that you're currently eligible for an upgrade. All they can see is your actual upgrade NE2 date.
    When I was an agent, if Verizon changed the date in the system and we could see it we would process the early upgrade. If not, then no. One more thing, MFF2, no authorized agent will let you walk out of a store with an upgrade or a phone at the upgrade price and that phone not being activated. If it is not activated they don't get paid. Hope this helps.
    01-03-11 08:06 PM
    SK1, thanks for the info. What are the chances VZW will input the early upgrade (if requested) on their system knowing folks will then shop it..likely not. It does allow me to do the early upgrade on their website if I wanted to but can get cheaper thru authorized dealer(s).

01-03-11 08:20 PM
    SK1, thanks for the info. What are the chances VZW will input the early upgrade (if requested) on their system knowing folks will then shop it..likely not. It does allow me to do the early upgrade on their website if I wanted to but can get cheaper thru authorized dealer(s).

If you can do it online there is a good chance you can do it at an authorized retailer. It sounds like you're doing an annual upgrade. If that's the case, then any authorized retailer can do the upgrade. You can get some sweet deals at Best Buy. I've done five upgrades with them and have had no issues. They even beat my own prices! Good luck and keep us posted. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
    01-03-11 08:28 PM
    SK1, you seem to have keen insight here. Spoke with VZW and today rep. says he doesn't see why I can't do early upgrade at "authorized" verizon dealer. He agreed with me I should not be handcuffed to have to buy solely thru VZW. He made notes on account but did not "change" date on account. Not sure this will work?
    Indeed Best Buy has solid prices but they no longer are being allowed to carry the Droid 2 Global, phone looking to upgrade to. Any word on "Wirefly" and their dealings. They have phone for $49.99 upgrade price!
    I am all ears here as want to move on from my BB Tour. Feel BB has become stale.

01-04-11 07:24 PM
    Thank you, MFF2. I would be careful with Wirefly. They seem to offer some great deals but read the fine print.

DEACTIVATING THIS PHONE OR DOWNGRADING FEATURES OR RATE PLAN MAY LEAD TO ADDITIONAL CHARGES
    To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from this authorized retailer.
    By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, Verizon Wireless notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.
    That's just part of it. There could be more. I've heard both good and bad about Wirefly. You just have to follow their instructions.
    01-04-11 11:36 PM
    As I understand it, a promotional early upgrade is only valid through VZW. When I was offered it by VZW, I tried to upgrade through both Amazon Wireless and Best Buy Wireless and was denied (which was fine, I was only a month ahead of my NE2 date, so I just waited).

However, if you managed to sweet-talk a rep, they might change your NE2 date in the billing system, which would then make your upgrade valid through a third-party retailer.
    01-05-11 09:50 AM
    They want you to use your upgrade NOW so you can't get any added discount on the iPhone.

Wait it out.....
    01-05-11 10:24 AM
    Maggie922, if VZW is allowing it then why not also an "authorized" VZW dealer who also "represents" verizon wireless buyers. Just doesn't make sense. I am also past my year (07/11 NE2) so what is difference between "early" and "annual" upgrade? If you bought from Amazon wireless how are they?
    Jib21, not sure I want to go the iPhone route here...

01-05-11 10:38 AM
    Ok, problem solved. After some diplomatic complaining to VZW loyalty dept, they just gave me additional $50 credit towards early upgrading with them..so net price for Droid 2 Global (after rebate) is $149.99 AND they also pushed up wife's upgrade date from 07/11 to now so she can upgrade now or in the near future.
    I always say, treat others how you would want to be treated...it works wonders!

01-06-11 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD