08-12-14 08:04 PM
32 12
tools
    I have owned the Blackberry Storm for a little over a year, and I am fed up with it. The lack of a decent OS, poor quality, slow everything, etc.

I stopped by the local VZW store today and was told that I cant upgrade until August. I know in the past I have read about little "tricks" to get VZW to allow an early upgrade, but I cant find anything about it.

What can I do, if anything, to get an early upgrade so I can get a decent phone? Im not looking for anything free, I just want to be able to buy a decent phone at the upgrade price. Any suggestions?
    12-15-09 11:06 AM
    So if you can't wait for your upgrade, there's this little known secret to get any phone you want.........Full Retail.

What phone are you looking for?
    12-15-09 11:22 AM
    So far I am aiming towards the Droid. I have played with the Droid in stores and done a lot of reading about it, and that seems like the best fit for me.

Unfortunately Im one of those people that is extremely brand loyal. I know not every Blackberry model is a complete piece of crap like the Storm, but after the past year with the Storm I cant bring myself to desire another Blackberry.

Full retail is pretty much out of the question, being a college student on a limited budget can make things difficult. I seem to remember reading about people who complained over the phone to VZW support and were given an early upgrade, but I cant find what they told the reps. Ive always heard they are a lot more likely to slightly care/be willing to help some on the phone versus in-store where they pretty much tell you "to bad you have a crappy device, tell someone who cares"
    12-15-09 11:31 AM
    Whoever the primary number is can upgrade after 10 months. You can use there upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 11:38 AM
    So far I am aiming towards the Droid. I have played with the Droid in stores and done a lot of reading about it, and that seems like the best fit for me.

Unfortunately Im one of those people that is extremely brand loyal. I know not every Blackberry model is a complete piece of crap like the Storm, but after the past year with the Storm I cant bring myself to desire another Blackberry.

Full retail is pretty much out of the question, being a college student on a limited budget can make things difficult. I seem to remember reading about people who complained over the phone to VZW support and were given an early upgrade, but I cant find what they told the reps. Ive always heard they are a lot more likely to slightly care/be willing to help some on the phone versus in-store where they pretty much tell you "to bad you have a crappy device, tell someone who cares"
    Its more like "too bad you decided you don't like your phone as soon as something new comes out."

As soon as a newer android phone comes out tjw Droid will be crap. Then the same with the next one and the next one. Buy on one year contracts if you want a mew phone every year.

12-15-09 12:01 PM
    i paid an early upgrade fee of $20 to get my 8530. I would call customer service and tell them that you are fed up with the phone and can't use it with any kind of reliability anymore. Its affecting how you do business. Tell them you want to stay with VZW but you need a phone that will be reliable. Most likely they will find a way to make it work. Having an unhappy customer does not help them. Figure out which phone you want and suggest that you would be much happier with this newer phone - you heard it was more reliable etc.

be polite, calm and professional - amazing at what that will do for you. get them on your side and they will move mountains.

I just got the 8530. super fast and reliable. Have not heard any good things about the Storm1 or 2.
    12-15-09 12:11 PM
    Its not that I just want to get the newest and best. I just want a device that works the way it is supposed to work without having to depend on leaks/hybrids to make the device somewhat bearable. I use my phone a lot, and I find myself typically having to do two battery pulls every day. I only have four third-party apps (BerryWeather, Mobile Checkbook, QuickLaunch, Druglord Wars), so I know Im not overloading on apps.

In over a year, RIM has been unable to produce a reliable, stable OS for the Storm. Every update seems to fix one thing, and break three others. I dont think wanting a device that I purchase to work properly whenever I use it is to much to ask.
    12-15-09 12:17 PM
    The storm 2 is great... I haven't had a single problem with mine yet... TONS of people have said the same thing, so you just weren't looking in the right place...

Your best bet would be to use your primary number's upgrade. You pay $20 to get an early upgrade, but then you get 2 year (or one year) pricing on the phones.
    12-15-09 12:19 PM
    Its not that I just want to get the newest and best. I just want a device that works the way it is supposed to work without having to depend on leaks/hybrids to make the device somewhat bearable. I use my phone a lot, and I find myself typically having to do two battery pulls every day. I only have four third-party apps (BerryWeather, Mobile Checkbook, QuickLaunch, Druglord Wars), so I know Im not overloading on apps.

In over a year, RIM has been unable to produce a reliable, stable OS for the Storm. Every update seems to fix one thing, and break three others. I dont think wanting a device that I purchase to work properly whenever I use it is to much to ask.
    well we're talking about different things here. I thougt you were looking for info on how to upgrade early without getting spanked with retail pricing.

the phone isn't working for you. decide on another model that has the features you like. Go on crackberry forums and do some research on reliability and how the general masses like the phone. pick a phone, then call CS and work em towards an early upgrade fee.
    12-15-09 12:40 PM
    Gig 'em!!!
    12-15-09 12:50 PM
    i paid an early upgrade fee of $20 to get my 8530.
    Likely it was an "annual" uprgade.

To the OP, If you have a VOICE plan over 39.99 you should be able to get an annual upgrade.
    12-15-09 05:27 PM
    I have owned the Blackberry Storm for a little over a year, and I am fed up with it. The lack of a decent OS, poor quality, slow everything, etc.

I stopped by the local VZW store today and was told that I cant upgrade until August. I know in the past I have read about little "tricks" to get VZW to allow an early upgrade, but I cant find anything about it.

What can I do, if anything, to get an early upgrade so I can get a decent phone? Im not looking for anything free, I just want to be able to buy a decent phone at the upgrade price. Any suggestions?

An anual upgrade would be a possibility if you meet the qualifications.

Also, if you're having issues with the Storm, it can be replaced with the same model of course. The odds of getting a Droid are slim to none. Its not considered a comparable model, so don't expect a Droid...

You asked for "tricks" that other people have used. Unfortunately most dishonest advice that people give here likely won't work in most scenarios.

Heres an example of poor advice...

Its very possible to get a free device! I have 2 lines and have "multi Fru'ed" them both! One was a Curve for a Tour the other was a Tour for Storm 2. Neither time was my contract affected. Just keep returning your device and I'm sure you will get what you want!

FYI don't mention a multi fru to the VZW people, let them offer it
    Don't do this.

Like others have mentioned, call Verizon, keep your cool and explain your frustrations. Verizon will do a lot to keep you happy (though will likely not give you a Droid), so if you let them know of your genuine issues, they should help you out...
    12-15-09 06:34 PM
    The storm 2 is great... I haven't had a single problem with mine yet... TONS of people have said the same thing, so you just weren't looking in the right place...

Your best bet would be to use your primary number's upgrade. You pay $20 to get an early upgrade, but then you get 2 year (or one year) pricing on the phones.
    Agreed. I had the original Storm for a year and now have the Storm 2. It's a lot better and works well.
    12-15-09 06:35 PM
    To the OP, an annual upgrade is most likely your best bet. Even of you end up with a multi fru it would be for another BlackBerry device. Have you looked at selling your Storm and buying a new device online from Craigslist or EBay? Even CB has a Marketplace forum.

12-15-09 07:32 PM
    Oh wow.....
    12-15-09 11:48 PM
    You said you had two phones on your lines and that you've Multi FRU'd them both... By your own words, I would say you have done it...

I'm not going to waste my time going over your posts pointing out everytime you contradict yourself, as it seems to happen every time you post something... Including this most recent post...

Oh... And try not to call me out for spelling errors when you make more errors yourself... Thanks
    12-16-09 01:20 AM
    You said you had two phones on your lines and that you've Multi FRU'd them both... By your own words, I would say you have done it...

I'm not going to waste my time going over your posts pointing out everytime you contradict yourself, as it seems to happen every time you post something... Including this most recent post...

Oh... And try not to call me out for spelling errors when you make more errors yourself... Thanks
    So you are assuming I've done something I haven't, even after I've explained numerous times that I did have valid multi exchanges? Wow.... Just.....wow

I believe you are the score leader in spelling errors... my s2 likes to substitute "of" for "if" a lot. Not really my fault.

12-16-09 10:31 AM
    Yeah, he won't take offense to that...
    I choose not to. If you look at the habits of this person, you will see that they are constantly nit-picking and arguing with people just to start trouble. Two threads have been closed because of the ruckus this person has started. Obviously, this person is a disgruntled Crackberry User that was banned before and came back under a different moniker OR an alter ego to an existing user just to start trouble. So just ignore it. Eventually she'll die.
    12-16-09 10:40 AM
    I tried every trick in the book. Wouldn't even let me upgrade 1 day early.
    12-16-09 05:33 PM
    i was given the storm1 as a upgrade from my blackberry flip after having to call them multiple times about problems with the BB flip. i also had to return it a few times. once i finally got a rep. that acually wanted to help, and didnt give me the run around. i had to return the BB flip a few times even within the 30days. i wasnt looking for a upgrade, but i think they got tired of me calling about the BB flip. if your storm doesnt work well for you ide suggest calling again and explaining your problem. there is some reps. out there that want to help and want to keep your business. i dont suggest lying to them just for a freebie phone, but if the one you currently have isnt working out for you and your having problems with it, than keep calling and telling them about it. or you could craigslist or ebay the phone....not always the good way to go but your sometimes able to catch a deal.
    12-16-09 06:03 PM
    I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until next Oct. I emailed a few times on how the Storm 1 was just not a great phone and the bad memory leaks. They finally gave in and gave me an upgrade for the Storm 2. I had to pay $200 and then sold my storm 1 on ebay for $165. It was well worth it. This phone rocks!

12-16-09 06:16 PM

Easy, no cost upgrade! Update your OS to 5.0! Fairly dramatic changes in speed and other stuff like flick scrolling, longer times without charging, less memory leakage. To me it was like getting a new phone. I was seriously thinking of using an upgrade of a dumbphone on one of my lines to a Droid or Eris but have abandoned that tack as I'm satisfied with my S1. If you don't try this first then you probably are what some responders are saying you are, just wanting the latest, greatest.
    12-16-09 11:23 PM
    Patience, learn it,use it,deal with it

12-17-09 01:23 AM
    What would you do if you want the bogo deal with the eris I have one upgrade and two others one the play do up 13 months from now.

12-17-09 01:46 PM
    I've had six 8130 replacements within a year and a half, five of which were within warranty. Verizon offered nothing for me, despite my repeat issues and service interruption for my $217 monthly phone bill. I had to replace the screen on my 6th one (asurion) a month ago after it cracked because of a pressure point from incorrect reassembly. Early last week, the screen went white. I traded an xbox 360 for a storm running 5.0. It's nice because it's actually usable, but I'm not impressed with Verizon. My contract's up in February, so the question is to upgrade or not. Egh...haha.
    12-17-09 03:24 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD