10-06-09 11:31 AM
32 12
tools
    I'm due for a "new every two" upgrade. I'm interested in getting the BB tour. I'm also upgrading 3 other lines in the family plan to "free" phones.

I checked online and able to get the tour for $99 and has a list of "free" phones for the other lines. Is it worth buying online or should I go to the retail store?

Thanks.
    09-30-09 10:39 AM
    I vote go into the retail store. I say this because I work in one, and I get paid if you come into the store. I feel at some point it boils down to keeping someone in your community in work.

As far as your pov you wont notice any difference in product. I say support your community.
    09-30-09 10:41 AM
    I guess I agree... although some stores can be busy so if you do plan on going make sure its around opening time. Good point though in supporting those around you.
    09-30-09 10:45 AM
    I'd go the store route, but keep in mind store prices are different. There's a great feature called online shopping list, it will give you a total of what you'll pay in store, and you can print it out and have them scan it for you and your order will populate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 10:47 AM
    Also, if you order the phones today you will have them tomorrow. That is like the night before christmas feeling. You know its coming but when. If you go to the store you have it to play with all night long.
    09-30-09 10:47 AM
    If you go to the store you have it to play with all night long.
    And this is always a good thing
    09-30-09 10:57 AM
    out of the BB, which one do you guys recommend? I know the storm 2 is coming, but I figure I can get something now and check out the storm 2 when it comes out and return it if I like the storm 2 better since it'll be within the 30 days. at least i hope.
    09-30-09 11:02 AM
    I mean each phone has its pros/cons. I would read through the forums. The Tour for me is a good phone cuz I don't mind its small flaws. Some love the Storm 1. Curve is still a solid phone but definately an aging berry.
    Pearl and Pearl flip are good choices too just have to play with them a little to find out what best suits you.
    09-30-09 11:05 AM
    Just as a ehads up, if you look in your local walmarts/best buy's you can find phones in there cheaper than you'll find those phones in a Verizon store.

Not quite the same selection, but for the secondary lines you may find a good deal...
    09-30-09 11:31 AM
    In the store there arent "free" options for secondary lines unless you take advantage of the buy 1 get 1 type of deals. Even then it is "free after rebate." Keep in mind that the overall store experience is going to be the main difference.

There will be a rep that can help you and answer any questions you may have and when you have warranty issues(if you do) you can go right to your rep and they will take care of you.

Is online "cheaper?" yes. To me, paying a little extra up front to get good service and know that i will be helped with whatever it is, its worth it. Remember you will have these phones for 2 years and when has anything "free" ever lasted that long?
    09-30-09 12:14 PM
    In the store there arent "free" options for secondary lines unless you take advantage of the buy 1 get 1 type of deals. Even then it is "free after rebate." Keep in mind that the overall store experience is going to be the main difference.

There will be a rep that can help you and answer any questions you may have and when you have warranty issues(if you do) you can go right to your rep and they will take care of you.

Is online "cheaper?" yes. To me, paying a little extra up front to get good service and know that i will be helped with whatever it is, its worth it. Remember you will have these phones for 2 years and when has anything "free" ever lasted that long?
    And on top of these great points you get to put your hands all over the devices...
    09-30-09 12:31 PM
    And on top of these great points you get to put your hands all over the devices...
    Which as we all guys know, you test drive the "car" before you buy it.
    09-30-09 01:17 PM
    Which as we all guys know, you test drive the "car" before you buy it.
    And why by the cow if the milk is free
    Wait I don't know if that applies here...
    09-30-09 01:25 PM
    Go on Verizon's website and do the research on the phones your interested in. Find out prices and features of what you want. Then I would go into the store and check out the phones. Once you decide on the one you want, find out the price it's going to cost you in the store, and compare to online.

When I got my Storm last December it was $80-$120 more at the three closest Verizon stores to me than it was from online. I don't care how much better of service you get from in the store, that is a lot of money for the exact same thing. I myself, liked the fact that I didn't need to talk to a single person through the online ordering process.

Also, I ordered on a Sunday evening, it was at my door on Monday evening (not much of a wait).

I'm sure things are different everywhere, with different phones, and the length of time they have been out, but it's just something to think about. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Finally, Verizon's CS is great, you won't need to worry if you have any issues with it all. Any rep will help when you bring a phone into the store for any problem you have. If it's a Verizon phone they don't care where you got it from.

Wow, that was long, thanks for reading, but that's just my two cents worth.
    09-30-09 02:02 PM
    I buy 100% of all my phones on line. I don't like going into a store and standing around for an hour to buy a phone. Then have to go home, call 611 and fix all the screw ups the store rep made on my account. So for me and my 5 lines, I prefer to wait for the phone to be shipped to me and activate it myself.

09-30-09 04:18 PM
    I buy 100% of all my phones on line. I don't like going into a store and standing around for an hour to buy a phone. Then have to go home, call 611 and fix all the screw ups the store rep made on my account. So for me and my 5 lines, I prefer to wait for the phone to be shipped to me and activate it myself.

Which goes to show you there are both pros and cons.
    09-30-09 04:22 PM
    Frankly, I see tons of returns because "I don't like it" from on line orders.

If you must order on line, please come into the store to try the phone.

Remember the $35 restocking fee!
    09-30-09 08:16 PM
    Not like I have anything different to add, but often the website and stores will have different deals available. Best bet is to check with both.
    09-30-09 10:22 PM
    If you must order on line, please come into the store to try the phone.
    That is the best advice - regardless of the carrier, online is usually less expensive, with no-hassle instant rebates & such. But put one in your hand first, then go home to order!

10-01-09 12:06 AM
    But put one in your hand first, then go home to order!

I agree COMPLETELY.

Nothing like holding and texting with the actual phone.

I went to the local store, they quoted me a price of 250 + 20 activation for a tour (I'm up for my annual upgrade). I went online last night and got it for 149.00 with FREE overnight shipping.

But I played with several in store before I made my final decision.
    10-01-09 08:41 AM
    I agree COMPLETELY.

Nothing like holding and texting with the actual phone.

I went to the local store, they quoted me a price of 250 + 20 activation for a tour (I'm up for my annual upgrade). I went online last night and got it for 149.00 with FREE overnight shipping.

But I played with several in store before I made my final decision.
    Yeah nothing better than Grandma Bee liking the Storm untill she gets it lol
    10-01-09 10:34 AM
    id go for online. upgraded my wifes dare to tour a month a go, everything went smooth, price is cheaper, rebate is instant and they had free overnight shipping. you may be able to call vzw and get free overnight and instant rebate if you have been a customer for a while. retail doesnt give a crap about u or your phone, just their commission and that you dont return or cancel your account
    10-01-09 08:06 PM
    Personally I go to the retail store to try out the phone, then purchase online. I'm about to add another line to my plan and get an HTC Ozone. If I did this at the store the phone would cost me $149.99 up front plus activation fees (I'll admit I could probably get these waived) minus 100 mail-in rebate. Online its gonna be $4.99 for the phone (on sale for 104.99 - 100 instant credit) no activation fee and free overnight shipping. How can I justify the in-store price? No way...I'm going for the online deal.

With that being said, I feel that we live in an instant gratification society and some people want a product instantly and are not going to wait, so the store may be their only option to satisfy that need. They are willing to pay more up front to have a product in their hand immediately. I would rather wait 24 hours and save some cash.
    Last edited by bubbarob1978; 10-01-09 at 09:02 PM.
    10-01-09 08:58 PM
    Even though I'm not too old, for some things I am kind of old fashioned. I go to the retail store vs ordering online. Then I get to play with the phones, and have someone I can talk to face to face should I have an issue or question or whatever.

10-02-09 12:07 AM
    retail reps dont know anything about phones anyways. ask them 5 advanced features of the phone, they dont know how to do them. they know the basics how to text make calls that stuff. i just go into a vzw store look at the phones dont take a number or whatever and just see what i like no selling, then go home and order it. my wife wanted the tour and we went in she said she loved it. i said fine ill order it online 2nite. less than 48hrs later she was getting emails on her blackberry and texting away. after knowing we saved 100 bux to order online and wait she said she will never buy in store again. i dont have time for chit chat and sales pitches i know all the deals and vzw and dont care about the rest of the crap they tell you about.
    10-02-09 12:16 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD