06-03-09 07:09 PM
32 12
tools
    Guys guys. Can we take this to a PM or to another post? You are going to seriously overwhelm our OP!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yea your right. Sorry it was probably my fault... I won't say anything more unless its on subject

06-03-09 09:34 AM
    Yea your right. Sorry it was probably my fault... I won't say anything more unless its on subject

I know I'm not being mean or anything, I just saw it was the first time she's ever posted to Crackberry and didn't want her to think we're all crazy!
    06-03-09 10:17 AM
    Let's take the overwhelm out of it & restate, since a few would prefer to feign misunderstanding in an effort to discredit.

And a disclaimer - my only bias is toward a usable device - I have no affinity for any device/carrier/manufacturer whose functionality/service/capabilities don't cover your needs. If this means recommending Lower Elbonia Telecom & Laundry using an iPhone with a Nokia battery, so be it.

I just got my first Blackberry Pearl 8130 threw Verizon and since day one
    What did you have before? Is this also your first smartphone?

I have been having problems with dropped calls and bad reception with it.
    Contrary to what you will hear on the fansites, BlackBerrys are not known, within the industry, as having the best performing radios. There are others much better & some worse. This is the reason I asked what you what you had before. If the BlackBerry is working properly and your previous device worked better in your situation, you may wish to reconsider your BlackBerry decision & look at another device.
    I took it in to the store and they checked it out and they said there is no problem with it.
    Did a VZW tech determine this or was it a store sales person? Not all VZW stores have smartphone techs or those who understand BlackBerry settings. If the person who checked it was knowledgeable in the area of smartphones, got the settings right, and it still doesn't perform as well as previous devices on VZW, again, reconsideration of your choice of devices.

If your previous device was on a carrier other than VZW, the VZW network may be what is letting you down.

I am not sure what to do I would like this phone to work out for me. But I also was looking at the curve and storm and I am not sure if those phones are any better.
    As I mentioned before, the Curve/Storm are slightly better, but there is no guarantee selecting one of these will solve your issue. If you had good VZW service before, I'd look at the phone - either the model & brand or just the individual model. These guys' opinions on the merits of BlackBerry do not change the reality that BlackBerrys do not have the strongest radios out there. If you had good service with another carrier, it may be a VZW coverage issue - either a VZW network extender or carrier switch is needed.

Just backtrack a bit & look at your variables, without regard to unknown individuals' preferences or biases.

06-03-09 03:34 PM
    I found that my curve outperforms my storm in low rf conditions. The signal bars on my storm seemed to fluctuate quite a bit ( I know bars aren't a good indicator of true rf strtength ) but my hand would make a fair bit of difference in low rf conditions where it doesn't as much on my curve.

What I found interesting was that my storm performed better then any other windows mobile, s60 or blackberry that I have used on the gsm side. It was the ONLY phone that I used ( out of about 15 smartphones ) that would hold a call through a certain valley in MT.

06-03-09 03:56 PM
    What I found interesting was that my storm performed better then any other windows mobile, s60 or blackberry that I have used on the gsm side. It was the ONLY phone that I used ( out of about 15 smartphones ) that would hold a call through a certain valley in MT.
    You will find this in sample variations - unfortunately, with so many non-military grade components, the variations can be wide at times.

When I talk about performance, I try my best to not use the best samples, tending more toward averages. That being said, some of the WinMo device manufacturers' quality control could be better. I won't name any, but the initials of one that comes readily to mind is HTC.

That being said, remember the QC issues are with the device maker & not WinMo. RIM has good QC, but recent OS & design questions.

06-03-09 05:29 PM
    The silly phone has been delayed several times
    So when do you see this phone released? Does the July 13 rumor sound accurate to you?

Yes I want it pretty bad if you hadn't noticed

06-03-09 06:25 PM
    So when do you see this phone released? Does the July 13 rumor sound accurate to you?

Yes I want it pretty bad if you hadn't noticed
    A lot of folks want it pretty badly - its been about 13 months since the CDMA Curve came out, so it is time.

I have now been hearing mid-July to first week in August. Originally it was slated as late April to early May, then late May. While I don't want to burst bubbles (or create undue anticipation) I can't help but not the delays with the Bold, Storm, Curve2 & Pearl2. Nothing earth-shateringly different with three of those four, yet there were issues that delayed their intro. Right now, July 13th sounds reasonable.

RIM is trying to get them right, but problems keep surfacing - partly because they want devices that might be easily upgradeable to LTE & partly because the consumer market is still foreign to RIM. That is the advantage Microsoft & Apple have - they both possess nearly a three decade headstart on the consumer market over RIM & Palm. They understand it, while RIM & Palm, previously focused on the business market, are just learning it.

I hope they all get it right.

Posted from my WatchBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 07:09 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD