06-03-09 06:09 PM
32 12
tools
    I just got my first Blackberry Pearl 8130 threw Verizon and since day one I have been having problems with dropped calls and bad reception with it. I took it in to the store and they checked it out and they said there is no problem with it. I am not sure what to do I would like this phone to work out for me. But I also was looking at the curve and storm and I am not sure if those phones are any better.

Please help
    06-01-09 12:12 AM
    i'd say return it before your 30 days are up and youre stuck with it for 2 years.

i had a curve for about a year, then got a storm, just went back to my curve this week. great device.
    06-01-09 12:27 AM
    Get the curve. The storm still has too many bugs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 12:28 AM
    Curve > Pearl.
    06-01-09 12:40 AM
    Actually storm is pretty good sense they released the new OS today
    06-01-09 01:38 AM
    I like my storm.. But I have to say if you want to be guaranteed a solid device get the curve...
    seriously...

Otherwise return it wait out until the tour or grab a storm

but I think the safest bet if you just want a solid phone is def the curve
    06-01-09 03:48 AM
    If you're within your 30 days I say return it for a curve, its a solid phone, my siblings have it and love it. You shouldn't have any problems returning it either if you have your box and receipt.

06-01-09 08:09 AM
    I had a Storm and went back to a Curve. The Curve is a tried and true device. I don't know how well the Storm is running with the new OS update. It was a fun fun...and the screen is beautiful. Or you can return your current device and wait for the Tour.

06-02-09 10:27 AM
    its simple....return it!
    06-02-09 10:57 AM
    its simple....return it!
    Return it for sure, then get the Curve, which most people really like. My son has had one for several months and he loves it.
    06-02-09 03:13 PM
    Take it bak and get the curve

06-02-09 03:14 PM
    It may not be a device issue, but a service area one. What did you have before and was it VZW?

In my experience, BlackBerry radio is subpar. I have completely lost signal on various BlackBerry models only to have a strong one on a Samsung or LG phone. Curve is a little better than Pearl, primarily due to more circuit board/chassis real estate - with that comes the ability to optimize component placement.

You could try a Curve (if you don't mind sticking a waffle to your face) or you could wait for the next BlackBerry to come out. Bear in mind that recent RIM intros have been plagued with all sorts of bugs - some don't get resolved for months & others never get resolved. I know many will be seriously disappointed by the Niagara/Tour, so temper the decision to wait for that with the knowledge it might not be the do-all-end-all BlackBerry.

If it were me, I'd take it back, wait a week, then get a fresh WFG on a completely different phone - maybe a Saga/Omnia (depending on your penchant for touchscreens). Or, if you don't need all of the mousepower of a full-blown smartphone, you could save some coin by going with an enV3 or an enV Touch - again, depending on preference.

I get to play with many devices before their official release. I am not at liberty to give details on my findings, but I can say that RIM is becoming less & less impressive in terms of quality control, design & bugs. They get away with it because of the BlackBerry faithful who are much more likely to blame the carrier for phone issues, rather than the device maker.

Overall, my personal assessment of the BlackBerry lineup is the Pearl is bad, the Storm is worse, the Bold & Curve are acceptable - both the Bold & Curve will be more reliable than the Niagara/Tour at launch. Other devices & brands are so much better in many ways - not all, mind you. Just many.

06-02-09 04:02 PM
    My Storm drops calls and signal fluctuates within my house. Sound quality isn't that good. The 8900 seems fine with call quality but signal is not strong within buildings, fantastic obviously when I'm home on UMA. It's a dilemma! Hate to say it, but my iphone is fantastic in the call department.
    06-02-09 04:53 PM
    It may not be a device issue, but a service area one. What did you have before and was it VZW?

In my experience, BlackBerry radio is subpar. I have completely lost signal on various BlackBerry models only to have a strong one on a Samsung or LG phone. Curve is a little better than Pearl, primarily due to more circuit board/chassis real estate - with that comes the ability to optimize component placement.

You could try a Curve (if you don't mind sticking a waffle to your face) or you could wait for the next BlackBerry to come out. Bear in mind that recent RIM intros have been plagued with all sorts of bugs - some don't get resolved for months & others never get resolved. I know many will be seriously disappointed by the Niagara/Tour, so temper the decision to wait for that with the knowledge it might not be the do-all-end-all BlackBerry.

If it were me, I'd take it back, wait a week, then get a fresh WFG on a completely different phone - maybe a Saga/Omnia (depending on your penchant for touchscreens). Or, if you don't need all of the mousepower of a full-blown smartphone, you could save some coin by going with an enV3 or an enV Touch - again, depending on preference.

I get to play with many devices before their official release. I am not at liberty to give details on my findings, but I can say that RIM is becoming less & less impressive in terms of quality control, design & bugs. They get away with it because of the BlackBerry faithful who are much more likely to blame the carrier for phone issues, rather than the device maker.

Overall, my personal assessment of the BlackBerry lineup is the Pearl is bad, the Storm is worse, the Bold & Curve are acceptable - both the Bold & Curve will be more reliable than the Niagara/Tour at launch. Other devices & brands are so much better in many ways - not all, mind you. Just many.

ha don't listen to this guy he wants everyone to buy a windows mobile phone

nah I am just kidding you do need to find a phone that works for you.

I haven't experienced any issues with reception and my storm.. most times full bars no issues..

accept of course in my Basement....
    06-02-09 04:53 PM
    ha don't listen to this guy he wants everyone to buy a windows mobile phone
    Hey now - I mentioned LG and non-smartphones, too!

accept of course in my Basement....
    Stay out of the basement then. Those are usually dark and dank anyway.

06-02-09 06:06 PM
    Hey now - I mentioned LG and non-smartphones, too!

Stay out of the basement then. Those are usually dark and dank anyway.

my basement is nice and built up

anyway you missed my second line!

no in all seriousness no matter which phone the guy ends up with it has to be the right one for him.

whether is a bb windows mobile or any other phone out there..
    having problems with a current phone doesn't mean that all of that current phone have the same issue..

but sometimes a bad experience is a bad taste and makes you just simply want something different
    06-02-09 06:30 PM
    no in all seriousness no matter which phone the guy ends up with it has to be the right one for him.

whether is a bb windows mobile or any other phone out there..having problems with a current phone
    I knew all of this coming in - the OP was wondering if a Curve might be better, reception-wise, than a Pearl. Generally speaking, yes, the Curve is a little better, but not enough for anyone to really notice. I mean, we are talking maybe 3-5% - well below the variance one might find in normal use.

So I went into some qualifying items to think about. I have heard from marketing people, who know about such things, that anywhere from 50-60% of smartphone users do not use features that define a smartphone - and if you figure in those who could make minor changes in their usage patterns & be happy or even thrilled with an advanced device instead of a smartphone, the market figures exceed 80%.

I mean, name me three things a BlackBerry Curve can do that an enV3 cannot. Take GPS & dual-mode out of the equation & give me three useful things a Storm can do that an enV Touch cannot.

The biggest things used to be attachments & configurability. Well, there are advanced dumbphones that can do attachments, most can already do music & images. As for being able to configure your device, BlackBerry gives you themes. Others give you the ability to do independent app control & will remember your most used menu selections, if not flatout rearrange them to your liking. You can easily modify your themes to mix & match colors on other device - unless you're on a BlackBerry.

RIM really allows the user precious few options and even blocks browsers from using flash, Skyfire included.

But, back to the OP. She asked about reception & sound quality - both areas where BlackBerry devices fall into about the bottom 40th percentile of all phones. In other words, over half of all available devices have better reception than BlackBerrys do. Adequate, but nowhere near class-leading.

One other thing - I hope I never come across a guy named Sarah. As in Sarahduffey13. You know - the OP? Miss Sarah might want to slap you around a bit for calling her "the guy" or referring to her as a "him."

06-02-09 09:19 PM
    both the Bold & Curve will be more reliable than the Niagara/Tour at launch.
    I dunno what to think of that That is totally going against what the testers have said. I hear thats it going to be a very reliable, solid phone.
    06-02-09 09:52 PM
    I dunno what to think of that That is totally going against what the testers have said. I hear thats it going to be a very reliable, solid phone.
    Don't forget who those "testers" are. They fall into just a few categories. They are committed BlackBerry fans or they do work for fansites or they are RIM plants. The manufacturers aren't stupid. While feigning some modicum of secrecy, they leak info or pay some poor sap to write an article claiming they got their hands on the latest & greatest device. To keep it believable, they toss in a few negatives here & there, often expressing optimism that the manufacturer will have it fixed by launch.

Think of many similar "tester" reports giving praise about the Storm before launch.

Then there is another issue - Apple subsidizes or shadow-owns several fansites. RIM does the same thing. Microsoft refuses to do this, but in the past, Mozilla & Netscape did.

Also, watch the advertising on a site. Ad dollars buy a lot of enhanced press.

By stoking the market, anticipation is raised. People spend a lot of time talking about the product & sharing info with others. The device is often delayed a little bit & shill posters on fansites blame the carrier. Carriers rarely hold up device releases. VZW insisted on things that RIM was unable to provide in the Storm - but the actual release date was set by RIM, not VZW. Same for the Bold. AT&T didn't slow its release - RIM did. Sprint wanted the Pre months ago. Palm held it up.

The manufacturers have the best of both worlds. For less than $500/month, they can trot out a fansite under a shill. Remember that $500 won't buy 1 second of Super Bowl ad time. They can control content & when things get out of hand, they don't even have to wash theirs.

All in all, the manufacturers control the release of devices. If they really wanted secrecy, they could easily make it happen. A smartphone is a whole lot easier to hide than is the newest Ferrari - partly because of size, but also because a Ferrari is sexy - it screams LOOK AT ME! The smartphone is still the arena of the high-end businessman, as well as geeks, dorks & goofs. Only the iPhone has so far transcended that reputation, but by alienating business. No self-respecting attorney, doctor or member of the board of directors would be caught dead using an iPhone. But wife & kids all have one while he carries the BlackBerry or WinMo device.

All in all, don't believe the trash the testers claim - it isn't LOOK WHAT I WAS ABLE TO COME ACROSS! AREN'T I THE BEST PERSON ON THE BEST SITE? What it really should be, if honesty & integrity were important to all concerned is more aptly "hey, look at what Manufacturer A sent me and told me what to write in my own words."

Its all BS. The real outside testers are required to sign non-disclosure agreements (with a lot of legalese and attorneys for both sides present) with huge monetary penalties for divulging the info to the press. The penalties are usually large enough that some insurance sources offer insurance to cover you in case of theft of a development prototype - but the insurance policies have high credit standards & large loopholes they can squirm out of if the disclosure is considered intentional.

Don't believe any "tester" from a fansite or even many of the tech media outlets. Will the Niagara/Tour (Tour is such an inane name foe a phone) be successful? Probably, but then again, the crappy Storm is considered a success, as were Win95 Packard Bell computers.

Anticipation & hype build sales - RIM & Apple both know this. Out of the two, only Apple understands advanced technology features & design - RIM is far behind both Apple & Microsoft. On the sex-appeal side, RIM is behind Apple, Microsoft, LG, Samsung, Nokia & even Moto.

06-02-09 11:13 PM
    Take it back and get a curve.
    06-02-09 11:13 PM
    Don't forget who those "testers" are. They fall into just a few categories.

The testers I am talking about work for RIM and VZ and aren't writing for blogs/fansites. They were comparing the 9630 to other blackberry's and they have all generally said it is a great device.

No offense but if you feel that rim is going down the tube why are you here on a blackberry site? Its easy to see that you like windows mobile quite a bit better.

Going by some of your comments I could say that maybe your a plant that microsoft has hired to plant seeds of division in the blackberry world

Don't get me wrong I enjoy your technical expertise but I don't understand you politics sometimes
    06-02-09 11:39 PM
    The testers I am talking about work for RIM and VZ and aren't writing for blogs/fansites. They were comparing the 9630 to other blackberry's and they have all generally said it is a great device.
    And these are impartial testers? The silly phone has been delayed several times because of strong criticisms from the real third-party testers, at least one of whom frequents these very pages.

No offense but if you feel that rim is going down the tube why are you here on a blackberry site? Its easy to see that you like windows mobile quite a bit better.
    I call them as I see them. Do you really want all the food, all the time? That is rather short-sighted & putting yourself into a cocoon. There is a difference between partial & impartial; the subjective & objective.

I have fond memories of Palm - does that mean I can't tell the truth about their problems & shortcomings?

Going by some of your comments I could say that maybe your a plant that microsoft has hired to plant seeds of division in the blackberry world
    You don't read all of my writings, do you? I've been called a VZW plant, yet I've praised other carriers and have lines of service on other carriers - most at no cost to me.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy your technical expertise but I don't understand you politics sometimes
    My politics? Very simply, truth trumps lies, honesty & integrity top all else & I know when to call mustard yellow baby poop green.

WinMo is more capable than BlackBerry. Palm is more elegant. Apple is more fun. Symbian is more stout. Android shows more potential.

Either you want the truth or you want justification for yoyr fanship. I am not a fan of any platform - what work, works. BlackBerry was once the epitome of simplicity & function. Now they dedicate so much time trying to cvatch others, they have lost their way.

Now go back & read the OP. Then look at the responses before mine. Then read mine carefully. Whose answer was the most complete & impartial? Then tell me why it is I've been brought to the front for speaking truth in an area I am expert at.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 06-03-09 at 08:42 AM.
    06-03-09 12:50 AM
    I just got my first Blackberry Pearl 8130 threw Verizon and since day one I have been having problems with dropped calls and bad reception with it. I took it in to the store and they checked it out and they said there is no problem with it. I am not sure what to do I would like this phone to work out for me. But I also was looking at the curve and storm and I am not sure if those phones are any better.

Please help
    Just take it back and find a phone that works for YOU. Everyone elses opinion is just what works for THEM.

I got lucky w the Pearl. I've never had issues (except the trackball) whatsoever. My hubby had 4 different phones each for about 2 weeks. And he settled on the Storm and has had it for 4 months now and loves it.

Unlike Twins, I've had HORRIBLE luck w Samsung with reception in the past.

Good luck!

06-03-09 12:58 AM
    @twin

I think the man made a strong point..

one of the testers that we are confident in rarely ever mentions other devices besides blackberrys

This person often compares the release vs other models that are already released..

Now because this is the case..

If he sais its solid compared to this and this I will believe him...

just my 2 cents..

I mean I always make my own judgments on things but I truly believe the tour will be nice..

Do I think there is behind the scene marketing strategy's and semi scams

you bet its how the world turns sad but true...

and to throw in that microsoft doesn't do that (obviously trying to pump microsoft up)

one thing they have done all along is STEAL ideas YES you heard me STEAL

I find stealing things to be much worse then buying up subsidized fan sites..

See my love hate relationship with microsoft works like this

without microsoft a ton of IT folks would not have jobs

even though I am not a complete apple lover I do like there work and there computers

I will say if all businesses used apple I would be willing to bet a ton of IT would lose there jobs..

from the desktop end they simply don't break down as much.

I have some likes about microsoft but microsoft is no pretty boy perfect like you sometimes try to show
    Last edited by noaim; 06-03-09 at 04:54 AM.
    06-03-09 04:52 AM
    Guys guys. Can we take this to a PM or to another post? You are going to seriously overwhelm our OP!

06-03-09 05:26 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD