Hello again Verizon experts,

Can you tell me the average speed you can download and upload on Verizon with a OS7.1 device? (I realize that it is only 3G, not LTE, but I am still curious.) I am on T-Mobile right now, but thinking of going to Verizon with the Z10. I have been using mobilespeedtest.com and doing the 7MB test. Currently I pull down on average between 8Mbs-10Mbs. I am not sure how accurate that is. But if I download a podcast from CB I now for sure on average I download at about 5Mbs. I have a friend on a Verizon GSIII device run a test using the speedtest.net app and he was only pulling 0.5Mbs down 0.7Mbs up via 3G in our office. At his home he says he gets about 3 to 4Mbs. This really quite concerns me if I were to switch to Verizon. BUT he said that he recently went on a road trip and was able to stream Netflix to his kids iPods via WiFi hotspot pretty much the whole time except over a few high mountain passes... so I don't know. I need some more data.

thanks,
    Last edited by captainbdsc; 03-08-13 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added more Data
    03-07-13 11:38 PM
    Can you tell me the average speed you can download and upload on Verizon with a OS7.1 device? (I realize that it is only 3G, not LTE, but I am still curious.) I am on T-Mobile right now, but thinking of going to Verizon with the Z10. I have been using mobilespeedtest.com and doing the 7MB test. Currently I pull down on average between 8Mbs-10Mbs. I have a friend on a Verizon GSIII device run a test using the speedtest.net app and he was only pulling 0.5Mbs down 0.7Mbs up.
    The technology variation that Verizon Wireless uses for 3G data is called EVDO-RevA. It has a theoretical top download speed of about 3Mbit/s, and a theoretical top upload speed of about 1.8Mbit/s.

In reality and in real-world terms taking other overheads into account, you can expect download speeds in optimal conditions of between 900kbit/s to 2.0Mbit/s, uploads of somewhere between 400-800Kbit/s.

Latency of EVDO and other 3G technologies is significantly higher than LTE, so even at the same transfer rate LTE will appear significantly faster, particularly when doing something like web browsing complex webpages that require concurrent download of lots of small elements, where the shorter latency will make the experience feel much snappier.

Post Your 3G EVDO Rev A speeds
    03-08-13 12:10 AM
    Also bear in mind that the BIS service on the legacy Blackberry devices tends to limit the ultimate data transfer performance you can get on those devices, because it has to route everything through Blackberry's BIS network and go through compression/decompression, which on most content these days probably hurts more than helps performance.
    03-08-13 12:12 AM