tools
    Am I a thread killer or WHAT!
    10-14-09 12:06 AM
    Owwwwwww, PK! That mod stick HURTS!

Thank you sir! May I have another?
    10-14-09 01:08 AM
    Not according to THIS
    That is in-store in NYC, Lenny. I've already detailed how badly VZW stores suck - but I can imagine NYC stores are worse.

Find an overall look, by a reputable firm - not that there is anything wrong with Laptop Magazine - but even they admit their survey is unscientific & incomplete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 01:21 AM
    I just thought of something.

I am glad VZW charges what they do. I don't shop at Walmart because of the lack of service, cheap junk & (worst of all) the customers who troll the aisles. With VZW's rates, they keep the trolls out.

That alone is worth twice what they charge.
    You're making us sound like an MMO!
    Besides, Walmart customers are too frugal to ever be stupid enough to waste what little money they have on something as frivolous & as fancy as a BlackBerry or Hero...
    Hey now, I shop at Wal Mart so I can afford all my little gadgets without breaking the bank. Then again, I don't exactly have to worry about being fashionable with my head stuck in a little cube all day. I just wear science and/or geek shirts when off work. :P

Yeah, I'm a tomboy.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 10-14-09 at 04:26 AM.
    10-14-09 04:11 AM
    THERE HE IS!
    Got your emails lol
    10-14-09 08:19 AM
    Wow...I can't believe I read through all of that. I had thoughts of switching to Sprint long ago...I've been to AT&T, Alltel, T-Mobile...and well I'm back to Verizon. I agree with most people out there...

I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks to have reliable coverage.

I should have gotten out the popcorn for most of this thread. Nicely done.
    10-14-09 10:32 AM
    Shoulda seen it before pk cleaned it up...
    10-14-09 10:36 AM
    Oh my.......................
    10-14-09 11:13 AM
    That is in-store in NYC, Lenny. I've already detailed how badly VZW stores suck - but I can imagine NYC stores are worse.

Find an overall look, by a reputable firm - not that there is anything wrong with Laptop Magazine - but even they admit their survey is unscientific & incomplete.

Exactly............................
    10-14-09 11:15 AM
    I travel the country extensively, going everywhere from major cities to the spaces in between (e.g. I am now in Morrisville Vermont) and I can't recall ever not being able to get a signal on VZW. In fact here in VT I have full strength voice and data .
    10-14-09 12:25 PM
    Shoulda seen it before pk cleaned it up...
    There are ducks & there is duck season.

There are trolls & there are troll hunters.

Ducks tend to only get blackened feathers & their bills spun around. I know, because the Warner Brothers told me so.

Trolls, on the other hand, are a messy lot. They scream, squeal, flail & make all sorts of mess on their way down. Fur, sweat, Coca-Cola & goose guts were splattered all over the walls of this finely threaded establishment.

Along came pk, who threw on his maid's bonnet, went to work with his mop, bucket & handy-dandy mod-stick and, with the exception of a few troll parts still stuck in the corners, cleaned the place up quite nicely.

Don't be a troll in our town.

10-14-09 01:12 PM
    There are ducks & there is duck season.

There are trolls & there are troll hunters.

Ducks tend to only get blackened feathers & their bills spun around. I know, because the Warner Brothers told me so.

Trolls, on the other hand, are a messy lot. They scream, squeal, flail & make all sorts of mess on their way down. Fur, sweat, Coca-Cola & goose guts were splattered all over the walls of this finely threaded establishment.

Along came pk, who threw on his maid's bonnet, went to work with his mop, bucket & handy-dandy mod-stick and, with the exception of a few troll parts still stuck in the corners, cleaned the place up quite nicely.

Don't be a troll in our town.

LOL pk is just sensitive me thinks
    10-14-09 01:53 PM
    do it do it do it!!!!
    10-14-09 02:07 PM
    do it do it do it!!!!
    Do what exactly?
    10-14-09 02:52 PM
    Pretty sure this was an "after the discussion was over" post telling the OP to leave VZW.
    10-14-09 03:41 PM
    Pretty sure this was an "after the discussion was over" post telling the OP to leave VZW.
    He was probably hoping he would go to C(heap)-mobile...........
    Sorry pk
    10-14-09 04:10 PM
    Never Said that.....But you guys go on like Verizon is the God's gift to Cell phone users everywhere...

and I get that some fanboy's do it for Validation of why they pay more with Verizon and recieve actually less Service (in terms of Features included in plans)...It gives them a sense of satisfaction...

But in Reality a Sprint phone will get coverage everywhere that Verizon does...The Fact that we have 2nd Best 3G coverage, killers plans, getting hotter phones long before Verizon, uncripple devices, and knowing we'll never be without coverage regardless weather it Roaming or NOT, since its free....

hey Sprint's NOT BAD AT ALL!

I see Twin X has disappeared into the Sunset! Leaving you guys to defend yourselves....hmmmmmmmmm
    I'm going to post this in this thread just because I care about this dumb topic.

Sprint-Welcome doesn't show a whole lot of green either, but enough gray.

Off-network Roaming on Sprint Phones: Not available with single-band phones, or to customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming. International calling, including in Canada and Mexico, is not included in plans with no roaming charges. Roaming usage may be invoiced after 30-60 days. Data services and certain calling features (Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.) may not be available in all roaming areas.
    So yes, while Sprint offers coverage to millions of people it does not offer the ability to use VZW/Alltel cell sites for the majority of the month. Try searching Peabody, KS with the coverage tool. Yes - there is coverage, but it is roaming. So what happens when you try and enter the zip code for Peabody into Sprint's "checker"? The following appears:

The following errors were found while processing your request
    We're sorry...
    Sprint does not currently offer wireless service in this area. However, please check back because our coverage is continuously growing.

If you believe you entered a valid ZIP code, please try again.
    My roommate just got charged an insane amount for roaming outside of Cellular South coverage. Even though it was "nationwide" the majority was roaming.

So it's safe to say that Sprint cannot offer 290+ million people with cell phone service. Only where the areas are green can they truly offer a solid service agreement.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 10-15-09 at 12:09 AM.
    10-15-09 12:01 AM
    Allow me to add that those 800 minutes of roaming are per account and not per line.

Throw that in with straw grabs with PRLs the guy doesn't understand & a link to a magazine article that admits is unscientific & what do you have?

Someone who desperately wants to prove a point that he doesn't understand.

I can state for an experienced fact that in the state of Arizona alone, over 50% of the area VZW covers, Sprint cannot - but some people won't believe that.

10-15-09 12:10 AM
    I used to be on a Search and Rescue team. All you need to do is be somewhere with your kids without a signal and in some kind of trouble, and you won't be thinking about the 'free' phones or money you saved. Just a thought
    10-15-09 12:15 AM

I used to be on a Search and Rescue team. All you need to do is be somewhere with your kids without a signal and in some kind of trouble, and you won't be thinking about the 'free' phones or money you saved. Just a thought
    Very good point - but you know some people will risk running out of gas to drive three miles down a dark street to save a penny per gallon.

10-15-09 02:26 PM
    My wife and I are simply paying too much for VZ service compared to other companies. I love VZ because I ride my motorcycle in the mountains, but for considerably less $ we can switch, get new phones at new sign on price, get equivalent if not better package, call other people on other networks included, not have some restrictions VZ places on their phones (without paying extra for it), and lose some coverage.
    Please try to argue why more VZ customers don't jump ship? I realize VZ coverage is far and away the best, but what else? You can save money and IMO get better smart phones w/other companies (I'm not talking about the iphone).
    Sprint is the front runner in my "soon to be new customer" race.
    It depends up to you OP if a change from verizon would fit your needs or not. Carefully evaluate why you want to switch. is saving a little $$ worth it? that is up to you. if verizon works the best with you, then just keep your service and consider what you pay is worth it.

verizon is the best carrier all around. that is true. But does it fit the needs of the whole population of the united states? no, were all different living in different areas with different needs.

ill give you 1 example why its not. there are people who camp out or do recreation in the everglades or in remote places from central FL to the keys. Verizon and Sprint are both PCS carriers and i have done extensive travelling throughout FL, and heres my conclusion. Verizon and Sprint or any other cdma carrier dont provide sufficient coverage in the glades. all cdma carriers from Central FL down to the keys operate all on 1900mhz. yes, we dont have the almight 850mhz coverage here. Alltel had those in Jax and tampa. the 2 carriers that work in these areas are Nextel and AT&T. Yes folks the seminole indians here either use AT&T or Nextel.

So OP,from that example, does verizon meet my need when i travel around in central FL to the keys? No. Will it fit you? that is really up to your needs as you are one who knows yourself best.

Unfortunately, personal attacks isnt the best way to win a debate. If person X is happy and person Y is happy with their carriers, so be it. No need to make an assumption based on your own experience because you are NOT the OP. Even if you are not the one who precipitated the raging comments i would highly suggest you really ignore the person and just brush him off.

Person X and Person Y tolerated each other and both should rethink why they didnt just ignore each other to begin with.

Steering back to the OP, if its worth it that you save a little, then go ahead as you please. if the difference in your new service isnt worth the cost cutting measures, then you are free to port back. Some people pay their bills with their carriers and are fine with it. My advice, is choose the best carrier based on the SERVICE that they provide. there is no absolute carrier, as you can see from the example that i have provided. we can debate here as much as you like, but Just do your homework and try it out yourself.
    Last edited by ace587; 10-15-09 at 04:36 PM.
    10-15-09 04:31 PM
    What ever works for you then do it. All I will say is sprint is a second tier carrier and never will be on top. For the last post, 1900 is pcs, but verizon is not pcs. They have some 1900 pcs licenses but the majority are 800 cdma and not pcs.
    10-16-09 02:52 AM
    I'm going to post this in this thread just because I care about this dumb topic.

Sprint-Welcome doesn't show a whole lot of green either, but enough gray.

So yes, while Sprint offers coverage to millions of people it does not offer the ability to use VZW/Alltel cell sites for the majority of the month. Try searching Peabody, KS with the coverage tool. Yes - there is coverage, but it is roaming. So what happens when you try and enter the zip code for Peabody into Sprint's "checker"? The following appears:

Doest matter!!! and Is irrelevant....A Sprint phone will still work there....

My roommate just got charged an insane amount for roaming outside of Cellular South coverage. Even though it was "nationwide" the majority was roaming.

So it's safe to say that Sprint cannot offer 290+ million people with cell phone service. Only where the areas are green can they truly offer a solid service agreement.:
    Ummmm Neither can Verizon! You Kool-Aid Dinking little mind doesnt think Verizon really offers service where all of the red is noted do you????

Then again you probably do!
    10-16-09 07:58 AM
    Doest matter!!! and Is irrelevant....A Sprint phone will still work there....

Ummmm Neither can Verizon! You Kool-Aid Dinking little mind doesnt think Verizon really offers service where all of the red is noted do you????

Then again you probably do!

WHOA! now that was a pretty psychotic move.....

ugh... he's back
    10-16-09 08:43 AM
    Well folks, I think this thread has run it's course. It has turned in to a debate about Sprint vs Verizon, and coverage, and roaming, and I have a feeling the OP is long gone. Lets close this puppy up and move on!
    10-16-09 09:00 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD