10-16-09 08:00 AM
100 123 ...
tools
    My wife and I are simply paying too much for VZ service compared to other companies. I love VZ because I ride my motorcycle in the mountains, but for considerably less $ we can switch, get new phones at new sign on price, get equivalent if not better package, call other people on other networks included, not have some restrictions VZ places on their phones (without paying extra for it), and lose some coverage.
    Please try to argue why more VZ customers don't jump ship? I realize VZ coverage is far and away the best, but what else? You can save money and IMO get better smart phones w/other companies (I'm not talking about the iphone).
    Sprint is the front runner in my "soon to be new customer" race.
    10-12-09 02:00 AM
    Pretty much, enjoy the reduced coverage, poorer service & such, with less in the way of phone selection.

I have Sprint service - it doesn't even work on the edges of town.

There is a reason they keep dropping their prices & still are bleeding customers from every orifice - we won't convince you otherwise, so go experience it for yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 02:30 AM
    I still don't understand the "better phone" argument. What do other carriers' phones do that ours don't? I seriously haven't found anyone able to answer that one. (And I don't consider Wi-Fi to be a serious answer, excuse my VZW bias...) We have some pretty nifty HTC devices out, with more coming, and one heckuva monster from Samsung... What'd I miss?

People can start complaining when the other carriers get phones with built-in dish service with DVR and a portable hole leading to a popcorn maker or something. :P

If it's down to how pretty the phone is or what colors its available in, then that's only an issue with individual aesthetic taste. For what its worth, I always thought the 6900 was a cute one. (Granted, they don't make that one anymore.) I can't tell you how many of those guys I sold on the basis of them being cute.

As for "reasons to stay", why not have one of us (during the daytime, billing system is down) go over your plan and features with you? You might be spending more than you have to for something you're not using. Maybe you're on "unlimited texting" when you're only using a couple hundred a month. I see this kind of stuff all the time.
    10-12-09 03:40 AM
    10-12-09 03:50 AM
    And I also think the "better phones" argument is tired and soon to be an argument Verizon will have over the other carriers.

We all know about the BlackBerries...

Besides them, Verizon offers the Touch Pro 2 and Imagio, which happen to be two of the most capable WinMo phones on the market; plus the Omnia II is in the pipeline.

Verizon and Google recently announced a partnership and will be revealing some "game changing" devices within the next few weeks. These will of course be two devices running the Android platform.

These phones alone should pretty much cover any devices the other carriers offer, especially Sprint. They have the fading Pre and now the Hero which is already having problems of its own (don't get me wrong it looks like an amazing device).

Then on top of that..... You can include the much better coverage now, and even better coverage and speeds to come as we roll into 4G...
    10-12-09 04:09 AM
    I am definately staying for the coverage and when you have the coverage Verizon has, you can charge more because you are offering more. Phones, well that's another story. According to Verizon rep I spoke with a couple days ago, Storm 2 with WIFI will be out by end of year at Verizon. Add that to the flash support that's on the way and Verizon is unbeatable.

10-12-09 07:11 AM
    if you want phones that actually work on a network you have to stay with verizon. I have had att, sprint, and tmobile and all have had multiple issues dropping calls or lack of coverage even in the cities. trust me the cost is worth it i have considered switching many times from verizon but have talked with others in my area that have switched form verizon and most have been unhappy to have switched
    10-12-09 10:00 AM
    Convenience and coverage=why I stay.
    10-12-09 10:03 AM
    You get what you pay for is what I tell customers. They ask "you dont have that simply everything plan" or "rollover" or "nights at 7" I tell them we offer the most reliable network, great devices with latest entertainment capabilities, in-store technical support for starters. VZW is NOT the cheapest by far, that is now how we get customers, we offer a reliable service and support you wont get off any other carrier. I have had *and worked for* sprint, and have had ATT, and there is no phone that either of those two carriers could have that would make me jump to them and no prices they offer on service plans that would make me leave. VZW is the way to go, if you want to leave then no one can force you to stay, but do keep in mind you'd have a headache on a daily basis dealing with some other carriers. Keep us posted!
    10-12-09 10:13 AM
    So what is the debate?

Others have summed it up well........you get what you pay for and the phone comment is ridiculous. Most people don't even use 1/3 of a phones capabilities. So why do people cry for "better phones"?

10-12-09 01:12 PM
    Sprint wont work in Idaho and Att only works in the flatland, i have used vzw to call in motorcycle wrecks from way back in the hills, and i was with ATT for years. never had a straight bill once.
    10-12-09 01:38 PM
    I don't really have an argument to stay except this. I use more data then voice. I have full 1XEV everywhere I travel. Granted I am not talking about thousands of miles but my camp site is over 100 miles away from my house and in the boondocks yet I have full signal with VZW. I originally had Sprint (years ago) and could not even get one bar there at the time. That is why I stay. Plus I just wouldn't want the hassle of changing carriers, phones, etc. It is not worth the aggravation to me.

If you feel you can get a better deal somewhere else it is up to you to decide and no one on here is going to be able to change your mind. Debate or no debate it is simply up to you. Good luck in your decision and hope which ever way you choose it works out for you.
    10-12-09 02:45 PM
    Original deleted - pk
    Actually, that isn't quite true. VZW does not offer Sprint full roaming except in 1900MHz PCS areas. 800MHz areas are based on competitive issues. Major thoroughfares are typically covered, but off those, it is open.

There are many places, including parts of metro areas, where I've found I have a working VZW phone, while my Sprint service is no-signal.

It is a fallacy that Sprint phones work everywhere VZW phones do. It isn't even close.

The sucker statement is true though.
    10-12-09 02:57 PM
    Perfect example to illustrate the above - I am currently in Maricopa, AZ - a municipality of about 45,000 people in the Phoenix Metro area on the Pinal County side.

I am posting on a VZW phone with full signal.

I pick up the Pre & nothing. No bars.

Odd, as it worked back on I-10, 20 miles away.
    10-12-09 03:21 PM
    My friend can force his Sprint Touch Pro to use VZW towers for phone calls. At least he says he can but I have never cared enough to verify it. Maybe that is where the "Sprint works every where Verizon does" comes from. I know around here it is sort of true. At least for the voice part. Not so much in the data area though.

10-12-09 05:03 PM
    I left verizon for Att because of cheaper service and more phone selection and fewer phone restrictions. Enjoyed the multitude o sleek GSM devices. Espcially when I travelled to europe and asia. Phone service never missed a beat. My vzw coworkers were staring at no bars.also enjoyed full unlocked bluetooth capability with att. Used bluetooth to share pics sync with Mac even to sync with TomTom gps.
    However I changed jobs and do not travel much aymore. Also I ride motorcyles into some remote areas VZW is the only carrier with consistent service. Looks like I am switching back when they get the google android device. It is supposed tobe open. We will see. Besides what's it worth paying for service when u can not get a signal.

10-12-09 05:09 PM
    Thank you all for your honest advise/thoughts even if it's to say I'm outta line or don't know what I'm talking about (very possible). I realize I probably shouldn't have thrown out the "better phones" but as someone else put it maybe a wider selection of phones? Or as I mentioned phones that don't have GPS restricted, pay extra for this, pay extra for that, DL an ap for that...maybe that's what I meant. I'll probably stick w/VZ and wait for HTC Hero (or whatever it's gonna be called?) to come out, or given since my wife just this morning got laid off (Great news), keep the plans and phones we have and skip the upgrade for a year or so...I gotta do something different than my Pearl though. The typing is really starting to annoy me (maybe because better devices are out there). Maybe ditch smart phone all together.
    10-12-09 05:45 PM
    There are perks for being a long time customer.............
    10-12-09 06:05 PM
    FYI, just to fuel this debate...
    I switched to Sprint from alltel/verizion during the conversion in my area. I was told by the rep that i would get service everywhere i had service with alltel previous to my switch due to "roaming agreements". I had NO service in my house where i had 3 bars with alltel/verizon. I had to go stand in my yard to use my phone.. not happy.
    So i call in 10 days into my new contract with sprint... They then tell me that ALL my minutes were coming from roaming and that they would not be able to continue to let me use their service if more than half of my usage was thru roaming..

Needless to say... i am back with Verizon. I pay a bit more, but i don't have to stand in the yard to use my phone.
    10-12-09 08:41 PM
    Whats your source on that?
    Here you go!

PRL sp_20232

Like I SAID Sprint DOESNT NOT NEG VERIZON PRL's, Verizon Fanboys lie to hang on to that better coverage BS claim...It makes them feel vaildated for the Car Note they pay to Verizon.
    10-12-09 08:58 PM
    I am confused. Are you saying Sprint is better because they have coverage everywhere that Verizon has signal because your phone can use a Verizon tower? What if you were to disable roaming? Would you still have signal then? How does that make Sprint better? Seems to me that you just proved Verizon has a better network if your phone has to use a VZW tower to complete your call because Sprint has none in the area.

I am not saying Sprint is bad because I have not had their service in many years and I have no recent experience with them, but you seem to be arguing against them and not for them.
    10-12-09 09:11 PM
    Here you go!

PRL sp_20232

Like I SAID Sprint DOESNT NOT NEG VERIZON PRL's, Verizon Fanboys lie to hang on to that better coverage BS claim...It makes them feel vaildated for the Car Note they pay to Verizon.
    I don't want confirmation that sprint can roam on VZW. I want Proof that it does EVERYWHERE in the country that VZW has service.... cause thats what you are claiming
    10-12-09 09:31 PM
    Here you go!

PRL sp_20232

Understand...
    That many of the people who are arguing with you're ridiculous statement, are not fanboys but people in the industry who know what they're talking about...
    10-12-09 09:34 PM
    as an over the road truck driver I am literally all over this country & have many friends who do the same as well & we all have either Sprint, ATT or Verizon & trust me people, this argument is useless. Very little difference nationwide, where Sprint doesnt have service, Verizon does, where ATT doesnt have service, Sprint does but nationwide they all seem to average out. The most important thing is make sure whoever you choose gives you good coverage where you are, I am everywhere so the one that gives me the biggest bang for my buck is Sprint, noone comes close to the price & like I said, nationwide Verizon is no better
    10-12-09 09:47 PM
    Here you go!

PRL sp_20232

Larry, you're really grasping at straws there - in the first 200 lines of that PRL, I noticed multiple areas which would have been sequentially included, but weren't.

And, the majority of those I looked at were 1900MHz PCS towers.

When my guys install a tower, they input the initial programming. Too bad Sprint isn't usually included.

Now let's say you were correct. Most people here know that without an amplifier, I get no signal in much of my house. When I stand outside, I might get a VZW signal. Thanks to a new AT&T tower (installed by a competitor) I can now get similar signal on AT&T as VZW, except the AT&T signal is EDGE only. Why do Sprint phones not work at my house, Larry? Why is it that I have to drive nearly two miles to get a good signal - and still no Sprint signal? It isn't until I get about three miles south that I get a Sprint signal, Larry.

Since you've proven you don't have a clue as to what a PRL entry means, why do you present it as evidence?

When you learn telecom, come back & talk. Until then, I believe Fisher-Price has a nice little forum. Or better yet, maybe a few weeks in a nun-run Catholic school. They will straighten up your manners.

At the very least, they will teach you that double-negatives, like DOESN'T NOT NEG are not only unintelligent, they are unnecessary.

And I say this even though I am anti-Catholic teachings.

10-12-09 09:56 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD