I am going to be purchasing a BB Curve tomorrow from Verizon. I do not currently need the data plan NOW, but I will be needing it at a later date. Am I able to buy the Curve tmr and use it as an ordinary phone (calling, texting, etc) and then add the data plan in a few months?
    11-15-08 11:43 PM
    I am going to be purchasing a BB Curve tomorrow from Verizon. I do not currently need the data plan NOW, but I will be needing it at a later date. Am I able to buy the Curve tmr and use it as an ordinary phone (calling, texting, etc) and then add the data plan in a few months?
    Nope, a data feature is required on all blackberries. Also, any new PDA released beginning on 11/14 requires a data pkg on VZW too.
    11-15-08 11:46 PM
    Darn! Now I might have to go with the Dare...
    11-15-08 11:49 PM
    The Dare isn't a smartphone. Be sure the Dare will do what you need it to do before you get it...or at least before your 30 day Worry Free Guarantee period is up.
    11-16-08 12:00 AM
    Darn! Now I might have to go with the Dare...
    Heard nothing but good things about the Dare, the only complaint...its not a smartphone! Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 12:01 AM
    I agree. I almost got the Dare, but I decided on the Curve instead. I have been very pleased with my decision. *pats myself on the back*
    11-16-08 12:04 AM
    Well I plan on getting this for college. So I probably don't need a TRUE smart phone, but I just want something that I can easily do email with, and use the web browser if needed. I heard good things about the Curve, and was hoping I could use it as just a phone for the time being.
    11-16-08 12:05 AM
    Here's some food for thought...

if you get the Dare and want to use email or the web it will be 1.99/mb.

Unless you get VCast which is $15/per month. VCast would give you unlimited web and you could check aol, yahoo and msn/hotmail on the web.

Now, if you have some other kind of email like gmail or verizon.net, then you'll also need the mobile email application which is $5/month on top of the Vcast. If you go that route, then you are you up to $20/month just to get web and email on the Dare. It's only 9.99 more per month to get the 29.99 email and web for blackberry (BIS) data pkg.

It really depends on how much email and web you would be doing though. BTW, the email on the Dare is text only. You can't look at attachment like pictures or documents and it's not html email.
    11-16-08 12:13 AM

Unless you get VCast which is $15/per month. VCast would give you unlimited web and you could check aol, yahoo and msn/hotmail on the web.

Now, if you have some other kind of email like gmail or verizon.net, then you'll also need the mobile email application which is $5/month on top of the Vcast. If you go that route, then you are you up to $20/month just to get web and email on the Dare. It's only 9.99 more per month to get the 29.99 email and web for blackberry (BIS) data pkg.

It really depends on how much email and web you would be doing though. BTW, the email on the Dare is text only. You can't look at attachment like pictures or documents and it's not html email.
    Thanks for the advice. If I were to need a data plan as of right now, I would totally spring for the BB. But since I won't need the data plan for a few months, that is the only reason I would get the Dare. I could add on to the plan later on. Decisions decisons...
    11-16-08 12:20 AM
    I am also a college student and there are quite a few helpful functions on the BB regarding keeping everything in line...

I can put in my exam dates on the go into the calendar, i then can sync it into my home computer and vice versa. There is also some software out there aimed specifically towards students. Also being as i am very busy i like having all my email come to my phone. Esp my school mail which i would never check if it wasnt sent to my phone. Also using IM and browsing is fun to do during boring lectures

I know a few people with Dare's and they are nice phones, but def no blackberry
    11-16-08 01:34 AM

And having both...no one NEEDS a data plan, but if you've got a Dare without one as Snoop would say "Ain't no fun"
    11-16-08 02:28 AM
    The blackberry is worth it.

11-16-08 03:42 AM
    The blackberry is worth it.

One need only to view "Guys with Blackberries are hot". Sometimes I have to turn my radio off to keep from havin' the ladies all in my biznissss
    11-16-08 03:53 AM
    well... to be honest its silly imo to consider a curve and reduce yourself to a dare because you don't need a data plan for 2 months. thats 60 bucks extra for 2 months..

if u buy the dare and end up wanting the curve later on... pfff its going to be more then that 60 bucks =)

just my 2 cents but its your choice

edit: also want to add if I could have had a current smartphone in college wow that would have been incredible my phone umm dialed numbers.. and some other people would probably say something like if I could have had a cellphone in college =)
    Last edited by noaim; 11-16-08 at 06:38 AM.
    11-16-08 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD