03-11-10 01:43 PM
53 123
tools
    "The customer is always right" only applies to customers with reasonable requests.

However there are always customers trying to bilk the system who ruin it for everybody. These forums alone display numerous examples of people advising others to keep returning their phone for fabricated defects in an attempt to get the newer model phone for a free upgrade.

The "Customer is always right" business model became unfeasible the moment the general consumer population became less than honest.
    03-06-10 03:11 PM
    "The customer is always right" only applies to customers with reasonable requests.

However there are always customers trying to bilk the system who ruin it for everybody. These forums alone display numerous examples of people advising others to keep returning their phone for fabricated defects in an attempt to get the newer model phone for a free upgrade.

The "Customer is always right" business model became unfeasible the moment the general consumer population became less than honest.
    Little Ricky Hagen and OC can attest to this. They like to work the system.
    03-06-10 04:47 PM
    I just don't like hearing people say "don't go to the store, call customer service."
    I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! We've been trying very hard for some time to streamline the store operations to keep the customer service and tech support "business" to a minimum, so we can all focus on sales.
    03-06-10 10:06 PM

I agree with that completely. Just look at Craigslist if you want proof.

Here's something though that I would like to see from the stores. If I have a problem with my phone that is NOT related to me destroying it....(which I would expect to have to do an insurance claim), then I should be able to replace it in the store if need be.

Example: I just went through a series of problems with my Storm 1. Charger, battery related....fried 1st phone, they sent replacement, that one worked all of 2 days before messing up.

On my first visit to the store, they said they would do an insurance replacement, but it would have to be overnighted.

On my second one, CS said that it would be overnighted.

For someone that uses their cell as their only phone and only has one battery that is rapidly draining, this is a problem.

Now, why do I say all this? The first replacement, as I was talking to CS, they said on the phone, "let me check first to see what the inventory at our local store is." She actually stated that they had 29 in stock locally.

So why, if a customer has a problem that will be covered under a warranty replacement anyway, and there are 29 Storms in this store, why did I have to wait for shipment? And if the store could not give me a replacement, why did the CS rep even bother checking?

Just seems like for customers who have phones that are messing up not due to their own fault, that replacing in store should be available if the store has enough stock. The only reason I can think of is that so they can give me a refurb and not a new phone. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by wetherb67; 03-07-10 at 05:44 AM.
    03-07-10 05:34 AM
    I broke my Curve 8330 screen last night.

So, I go into the VZW store today, been eyeing up the Storm2 for a while. The rep brings up my info, and says my upgrade eligibility is not until April 19th (my NE2 is then as well). Says I would have to pay full retail for the S2 which is like 540 bucks.

So, I wait until April and pay, with the 2 year renewal, NE2, and 100 mail in, 80 bones. Or pay $540 now. That makes no sense, as I could cancel my contract, and sign back on for less. The reps are salespeople first, and are not in the game to help the customer. Remember that.

Called VZW customer service when I got home, and they did me up with new 2 year, NE2, and 100 mail in, got the phone for 80 bones. Shipped and on the way.

My advice to everyone - avoid the stores unless you need instant gratification. Customer service will work with you, and help you out.
    I agree with everything you said. I have always had bad luck going into Verizon stores for anythign done. I have ALWAYS had good luck when I call Verizon though. I would never go into a Verizon store ever again if I can help it, I just call them
    03-07-10 09:20 AM
    I broke my Curve 8330 screen last night.

So, I go into the VZW store today, been eyeing up the Storm2 for a while. The rep brings up my info, and says my upgrade eligibility is not until April 19th (my NE2 is then as well). Says I would have to pay full retail for the S2 which is like 540 bucks.

So, I wait until April and pay, with the 2 year renewal, NE2, and 100 mail in, 80 bones. Or pay $540 now. That makes no sense, as I could cancel my contract, and sign back on for less. The reps are salespeople first, and are not in the game to help the customer. Remember that.

Called VZW customer service when I got home, and they did me up with new 2 year, NE2, and 100 mail in, got the phone for 80 bones. Shipped and on the way.

My advice to everyone - avoid the stores unless you need instant gratification. Customer service will work with you, and help you out.
    Calling customer service first is always a smart move. But didn't they change the early term fee on smartphones to $375 as of 11/15/09? Yikes...that one bothers me! So when I'm due for my upgrade in September will the early term fee apply if I upgrade my BB?
    03-07-10 10:09 AM
    I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! We've been trying very hard for some time to streamline the store operations to keep the customer service and tech support "business" to a minimum, so we can all focus on sales.
    But the situation isn't helped when a customer visits the store first, then calls customer service because they weren't told what they wanted to hear and the customer service rep sends them back into the store telling them that what we told them was not right. I have had this happen several times. This puts a sour taste in their mouth about the store, them thinking that we just refuse to help them when that isn't the case at all. If customer service and the stores were on the same page things would go a lot smoother. You don't know how many times someone came in because they were told they could get a loaner phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 10:25 AM
    Calling customer service first is always a smart move. But didn't they change the early term fee on smartphones to $375 as of 11/15/09? Yikes...that one bothers me! So when I'm due for my upgrade in September will the early term fee apply if I upgrade my BB?
    If you upgrade to another smartphone or certain "advanced devices" then it will apply. It starts at $350 and reduces by $10 each month that you complete on your agreement. On regular phones it remains $175 and reduces $5 each month.

03-07-10 10:29 AM
    The title of this thread explains exactly why representatives have the mindset to "be on their guard" against the customer when they walk into the store and why the phrase "the customer is always right, no longer has any meaning at all.

It's funny how customers will call to get a phone through customer service when they can't get a deal (that they don't qualify for) in the store. Customer service will break corporate policy (which I can guarantee was done in this instance) to give the customer what they want.

That same customer will decide to switch phones within the 30 days because "they don't like it" and NOW they want to go to a store location to get it replaced. When they are told by the rep that there is going to be a restocking fee and that stores don't honor the "instant" rebate given online (which means they will have to pay the difference for the replacement), they throw a hissy fit.

Customers are not "beating" the system. The activity on their account is marked and reps are going to be able to tell how and by what avenue the phone was purchased. Just don't act shocked when the manager of the store says that they are not going to honor the rate given by customer service or online.
    Last edited by jlfberry; 03-08-10 at 04:14 PM.
    03-08-10 01:23 PM
    The title of this thread explains exactly why representatives have the mindset to "be on their guard" against the customer when they walk into the store and why the phrase "the customer is always right, no longer has any meaning at all.

It's funny how customers will call to get a phone through customer service when they can't get a deal (that they don't qualify for) in the store. Customer service will break corporate policy (which I can guarantee was done in this instance, having worked for VZW.) to give the customer what they want.

That same customer will decide to switch phones within the 30 days because "they don't like it" and NOW they want to go to a store location to get it replaced. When they are told by the rep that there is going to be a restocking fee and that stores don't honor the "instant" rebate given online (which means they will have to pay the difference for the replacement), they throw a hissy fit.

Customers are not "beating" the system. The activity on their account is marked and reps are going to be able to tell how and by what avenue the phone was purchased. Just don't act shocked when the manager of the store says that they are not going to honor the rate given by customer service or online.
    Yeah - VZW is just breakin all the rules.

Are you saying I'm "Blacklisted" ??? What the **** does that mean? Having worked for VZW, you obviously know something about that.

The attitide that you and a couple other posters that work for VZW have displayed is "Store" attitude. That's exactly why the Crackberry Nation needs to be informed to call customer service.
    03-08-10 01:58 PM

Are you saying I'm "Blacklisted" ??? What the **** does that mean? Having worked for VZW, you obviously know something about that.

The attitide that you and a couple other posters that work for VZW have displayed is "Store" attitude. That's exactly why the Crackberry Nation needs to be informed to call customer service.

I have been on both sides of the spectrum. I no longer work for a cell phone carrier, but have talked to representatives in different cell phone companies and they all say something similar. In any business you have those customers that attempt to circumvent the system. Not hating on those that do, but it works both ways.

So this idea that cell phone carriers don't go out of the way for customers is completely inaccurate. Most of the time you hear about customers complaining about what companies don't do instead of how they made exceptions.

If you play with fire long enough you'll get burned. No customer ever gets "blacklisted". The view that any corporation "targets" individual customers is completely false. They along with other carriers as I am sure strive to give the best customer service possible. But it should be made known that there have been many times where companies will break there own rules to accomodate a customers.
    03-08-10 04:10 PM

As a rep for VZW I can tell you that you aren't blacklisted. No special pop up box comes up for you, nor does the blacklist fairy fall from the ceiling.

I have been on both sides of the fence... store side and now in the call center side. I have seen where the store was more willing in some instances to bend the rules than C/S. It's based off of the situation. I have seen where a cust was in the store didn't get the issue resolved and the first call into C/S got them something better than what they actually wanted. And I have seen it in reverse.

Basically the message I want to get across is that it boils down to the individual rep helping you. Not if it's a store or cust serv.
    03-08-10 05:43 PM
    Sometimes, it doesn't pay to go to either ones...
    My Tour broke for the 4th time and needed replacing. I've called VZW reps before and knew they'd ask me to go to local corporate office first. I go there, they tell me that I need to call VZW rep to OK shipment (WHAT? that wasn't necessary before). Then when I get home and call VZW, they tell me that I need to return to store and ask them to order me a new BB. I told them that store clerk wanted OK from them and they said that's not necessary. I go back to store and they tell me that their warehouse and I need to yet call VZW again to place the order. I go hom pissed and call VZW and they tell me that they order out of same warehouse lol...anyway, I was supposed to receive the phone last saturday and I find out this morning that they haven't even placed the order yet. And now that they find their lag, you'd think they'd overnight it like they always do (like last 3 times with out asking)...but this rep does 2 day shipping. So I'll be without phone for 2 full weeks.

Anyone want to sue verizon for bad customer service? lol...
    03-08-10 09:02 PM
    I say don't go to either. I can say that I've talked over 20 people into switching to Verizon within the past year or two just for the sake of how good their customer service used to be. Anytime I ever had a problem with anything, I'd go in or call depending on the situation and what was best for me. Usually it was a small problem or changing my account. Well recently I've been having network issues and some lady on the other side of the phone says the best we can do is wait and see if it gets fixed. WTH is that?! I'm on call for work 24/7 on an emergency basis and I get a well let's see if that works? I don't pay every month to "maybe" get phone calls I need to make a living. I just need a way to get out of paying the etf. Not because I'm cheap but because I feel it's unnecessary for me to have to pay to correct a problem that is no where near my fault. In the past 8 or 9 years I've never once considered switching from Verizon but now I can't jump ship fast enough. I don't care about multi fru's or them adding credits to my account. I just want a working phone. 6 BlackBerry's later and about 8 hours of my life in the past 2 days waisted on something that they can't fix. Anyone with a good solution who isn't going to justify Verizon to be in the right can pm me!!
    03-09-10 09:34 PM
    I say don't go to either. I can say that I've talked over 20 people into switching to Verizon within the past year or two just for the sake of how good their customer service used to be. Anytime I ever had a problem with anything, I'd go in or call depending on the situation and what was best for me. Usually it was a small problem or changing my account. Well recently I've been having network issues and some lady on the other side of the phone says the best we can do is wait and see if it gets fixed. WTH is that?! I'm on call for work 24/7 on an emergency basis and I get a well let's see if that works? I don't pay every month to "maybe" get phone calls I need to make a living. I just need a way to get out of paying the etf. Not because I'm cheap but because I feel it's unnecessary for me to have to pay to correct a problem that is no where near my fault. In the past 8 or 9 years I've never once considered switching from Verizon but now I can't jump ship fast enough. I don't care about multi fru's or them adding credits to my account. I just want a working phone. 6 BlackBerry's later and about 8 hours of my life in the past 2 days waisted on something that they can't fix. Anyone with a good solution who isn't going to justify Verizon to be in the right can pm me!!
    Have you had a trouble ticket filed? Any Network issues should be esculated with the Network Repair team through Tech Support.
    03-09-10 10:02 PM
    I have had I believe 2 or 3 trouble tickets filed at this point. I just don't get how a person sitting next to me on the same network can receive calls and voice mails from the same exact number I can not. It seems at though every time a new type of device is operated on my line the problem ceases for a few months and returns. I just want a fix whether it's a new device, new account or phone number, or a technician to do something besides press *228 and try to look like a super hero in front of me.

Oh and since there seems to be a few reps hanging around in this forum, why is it that *228 seems to solve this problem to every tech on the phone and in store? Also why is it the reps in the store do it and have this huge smile on their face like the first time a 16 year old kid drives his parents car?
    03-09-10 10:12 PM
    Verizon should change the policies. I saw so many customers take advantage of a situation. I sold wireless for a long time. I had a man throw a phone at me and tell me he dropped it in the toilet and it was my responsibility to fix it. He was cussing at me and throwing a fit thinking he would get me to just bow down to him. I managed an indirect store and I didn't appreciate his attitude towards me. I am a professional and I don't need to be spoken to in that manner. No one deserves to be treated that way. And to top it off, he wasn't at a location that had a tech person. He went to the wrong location and never even apologized. He just stormed off cussing more under his breathe. I was embarrassed for the customers that were in the store and they were embarrassed for me. I saw on his account just how many times he had done this with a phone water damage, etc. I was never rude to him and I was glad I wasn't able to help him. I did tell him though with a temper like that if he ever returned to my store, I would have him thrown out. So he is only one example but this person is a reason why policies need to be changed. Wireless carriers are not in the business of just giving out phones. I feel bad for reps who are treated this way. I am always respectful and as a manager I wasn't about to have him treat me or my employees this way. I am in a different field now, still deal with people, and it is the same everywhere. There are customers who just think it is owed to them.
    03-09-10 10:25 PM
    I have had I believe 2 or 3 trouble tickets filed at this point. I just don't get how a person sitting next to me on the same network can receive calls and voice mails from the same exact number I can not. It seems at though every time a new type of device is operated on my line the problem ceases for a few months and returns. I just want a fix whether it's a new device, new account or phone number, or a technician to do something besides press *228 and try to look like a super hero in front of me.

Oh and since there seems to be a few reps hanging around in this forum, why is it that *228 seems to solve this problem to every tech on the phone and in store? Also why is it the reps in the store do it and have this huge smile on their face like the first time a 16 year old kid drives his parents car?
    What were the results of the ticket?
    03-10-10 12:13 AM
    What were the results of the ticket?
    To be completely honest, I was never informed of any results after the ticket was filed. After the second one, I didn't have the problem from November 22nd until around Feb. 20th. no one says anything to me other than a new phone won't help, and we're working on it.

03-10-10 07:26 AM
    You don't know how many times someone came in because they were told they could get a loaner phone.

Ohhh, I do know. You have no idea how many times a day we hear "Customer service said Just go in to the store!" for something ridiculous.
    03-10-10 08:08 AM

I dealt with a couple of people who reminded me of you the other day. Actually, three now that I think of it. All in the same day!

What the other poster most likely was referring to was remarks that possibly were put on your account. We remark everything.

Spend a day with one of us in the stores, on the phones, at whatever level, and you'll see a different side. Or maybe you wouldn't.

So back to those customers I mentioned..............Customer number one came in with a Curve 8330. Broke the screen just like you! He went to an independant retailer and they mentioned looking for a replacement faceplate online. So in to our store he comes with his third party faceplate and he's all confident that we're just going to pop the plate off and replace it for him. I mentioned politely we don't. He looked at me as if I was stupid, asked if I was kidding, and again, politely said we do not do that. In his mind, just like yours, he had "x" amount of lines, pays "x" amount a month, and by God, we should drop everything for him and fix the phone that he damaged, even though he continually reminded us it was our product. Of course he asked to speak to a manager, and he gladly reiterated what I had explained. He was out of his warranty period, just like you, but that wouldn't have mattered anyway, because that kind of damage isn't covered under the warranty. So is that bad customer service to you?

Customer two.......two young know it all punks come in, not authorized on their parents account. One of them has a Storm 2 with a shattered screen. No insurance. Of course, he was "just taking the case off of it" and the screen shattered in to pieces. He stated it was the second "piece of ****" that he had. Yeah, he got nothing. Bad customer service to you?

Customer three.................HUGE 5 foot 3 inch body builder looking guy (with buck teeth) comes in with his family . He wanted to upgrade two of his lines. After checking the family plan scorecard (the list of eligibility dates for the plan) I noticed that only one was eligible. Like most families do, someone used someone elses upgrade at some point and people tend to forget that they do that. So I informed him that only one line was eligible. So we were looking for a phone for him. He started out using that terrible four letter word (free) and I informed him that the phone would not be free, but rather any phone in the store at the promotional sale price. He was interested in the Env3, and after checking to see if he was aware that it required a minimum data package, he wasn't, and we went back and looked at some basic flip phones. He was looking at the LG Accolade; I mentioned I thought we were out and went back to check for him. We indeed were out. He noticed the Motorola Barrage and that appealed to him because of it's durability. He decided on that, I went to grab the phone and accessories, his wife and daughter left, and I rang everything up. I mentioned there would be a fifty dollar rebate, and gave him the total up front before the rebate. He was fine, then all of a sudden he went in to a raging fit. Customers were scared. He screamed at me because it wasn't free, and I mentioned I was quite clear about the phone not being free. He said he saw the ads on tv every day about phones being free. I mentioned about our BOGO offers, but again, reiterated the phone would not be free for him. So in your eyes, should I have given in to him because he can't control himself in a public place and given him the phone for free? He left by the way, I HEAVILY remarked his account about the scene he made, and contacted security.

I've been in our store for nearly four years. I have a great overall base of customers who come see me for everything. There is also a group of customers who I have seen on a regular basis who continue to whine and scream to get what they want all the time. Those customers are typically people who have kids who continually break or damage their phones and of course it's VZW's fault. They are the people who continually try to cheat the system, and they are the people who need to be stopped. There are a lot of people like that out there.

I laugh when I see you trying to "rally the troops" to deal with customer service rather than the store. I laugh because you think you are doing those of us who work in the store a disservice, when you are actually helping us out! So preach on!
    03-10-10 08:47 AM
    ===== QUOTE mountainman ====

I dealt with a couple of people who reminded me of you the other day. Actually, three now that I think of it. All in the same day!

What the other poster most likely was referring to was remarks that possibly were put on your account. We remark everything.

Spend a day with one of us in the stores, on the phones, at whatever level, and you'll see a different side. Or maybe you wouldn't.

So back to those customers I mentioned..............Customer number one came in with a Curve 8330. Broke the screen just like you! He went to an independant retailer and they mentioned looking for a replacement faceplate online. So in to our store he comes with his third party faceplate and he's all confident that we're just going to pop the plate off and replace it for him. I mentioned politely we don't. He looked at me as if I was stupid, asked if I was kidding, and again, politely said we do not do that. In his mind, just like yours, he had "x" amount of lines, pays "x" amount a month, and by God, we should drop everything for him and fix the phone that he damaged, even though he continually reminded us it was our product. Of course he asked to speak to a manager, and he gladly reiterated what I had explained. He was out of his warranty period, just like you, but that wouldn't have mattered anyway, because that kind of damage isn't covered under the warranty. So is that bad customer service to you?

Customer two.......two young know it all punks come in, not authorized on their parents account. One of them has a Storm 2 with a shattered screen. No insurance. Of course, he was "just taking the case off of it" and the screen shattered in to pieces. He stated it was the second "piece of ****" that he had. Yeah, he got nothing. Bad customer service to you?

Customer three.................HUGE 5 foot 3 inch body builder looking guy (with buck teeth) comes in with his family . He wanted to upgrade two of his lines. After checking the family plan scorecard (the list of eligibility dates for the plan) I noticed that only one was eligible. Like most families do, someone used someone elses upgrade at some point and people tend to forget that they do that. So I informed him that only one line was eligible. So we were looking for a phone for him. He started out using that terrible four letter word (free) and I informed him that the phone would not be free, but rather any phone in the store at the promotional sale price. He was interested in the Env3, and after checking to see if he was aware that it required a minimum data package, he wasn't, and we went back and looked at some basic flip phones. He was looking at the LG Accolade; I mentioned I thought we were out and went back to check for him. We indeed were out. He noticed the Motorola Barrage and that appealed to him because of it's durability. He decided on that, I went to grab the phone and accessories, his wife and daughter left, and I rang everything up. I mentioned there would be a fifty dollar rebate, and gave him the total up front before the rebate. He was fine, then all of a sudden he went in to a raging fit. Customers were scared. He screamed at me because it wasn't free, and I mentioned I was quite clear about the phone not being free. He said he saw the ads on tv every day about phones being free. I mentioned about our BOGO offers, but again, reiterated the phone would not be free for him. So in your eyes, should I have given in to him because he can't control himself in a public place and given him the phone for free? He left by the way, I HEAVILY remarked his account about the scene he made, and contacted security.

I've been in our store for nearly four years. I have a great overall base of customers who come see me for everything. There is also a group of customers who I have seen on a regular basis who continue to whine and scream to get what they want all the time. Those customers are typically people who have kids who continually break or damage their phones and of course it's VZW's fault. They are the people who continually try to cheat the system, and they are the people who need to be stopped. There are a lot of people like that out there.

I laugh when I see you trying to "rally the troops" to deal with customer service rather than the store. I laugh because you think you are doing those of us who work in the store a disservice, when you are actually helping us out! So preach on!
    I've gone through stuff like that on a Daily basis. There is only so much we can do.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-10-10 08:58 AM

Hey CrackBerry Nation - I got an upgrade a month early. Just wanted to put things in perspective.
    03-10-10 10:28 AM
    Hey CrackBerry Nation - I got an upgrade a month early. Just wanted to put things in perspective.
    And he wants to continue to demonstrate how exciting it is to post on an international internet forum about his huge success! I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that. This is really something to be proud of!
    03-10-10 10:47 AM
    And he wants to continue to demonstrate how exciting it is to post on an international internet forum about his huge success! I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that. This is really something to be proud of!
    I'm more of a show off than a bragger, but thank you.
    03-10-10 01:17 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD