03-11-10 12:43 PM
53 123
tools
    I broke my Curve 8330 screen last night.

So, I go into the VZW store today, been eyeing up the Storm2 for a while. The rep brings up my info, and says my upgrade eligibility is not until April 19th (my NE2 is then as well). Says I would have to pay full retail for the S2 which is like 540 bucks.

So, I wait until April and pay, with the 2 year renewal, NE2, and 100 mail in, 80 bones. Or pay $540 now. That makes no sense, as I could cancel my contract, and sign back on for less. The reps are salespeople first, and are not in the game to help the customer. Remember that.

Called VZW customer service when I got home, and they did me up with new 2 year, NE2, and 100 mail in, got the phone for 80 bones. Shipped and on the way.

My advice to everyone - avoid the stores unless you need instant gratification. Customer service will work with you, and help you out.
    03-04-10 03:42 PM
    its good to call vzw rep,,they always tell u the truth or giv u wat u want...
    03-04-10 04:31 PM
    I've never gotten a new phone over the phone. The in store reps have always moved up my new every 2 if I asked nicely.
    03-04-10 04:50 PM
    As a rep that works in a retail store I take offense to that. I try to help everyone as thoroughly as possible but you can't bend the rules for everyone. Remember that VZW is also in the business of making money, there is a reason that you are not eligible to upgrade for 20 months. But don't act like sales reps are sharks and have no interest in helping the customer. Making a blanket statement like that is very ignorant and narrow minded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 10:38 PM
    As a rep that works in a retail store I take offense to that. I try to help everyone as thoroughly as possible but you can't bend the rules for everyone. Remember that VZW is also in the business of making money, there is a reason that you are not eligible to upgrade for 20 months. But don't act like sales reps are sharks and have no interest in helping the customer. Making a blanket statement like that is very ignorant and narrow minded.

I'm assuming the blanket statement you are referring to is this:

"The reps are salespeople first, and are not in the game to help the customer. Remember that."

That is the truth.

I broke my screen, and I understand the why the rules are there. But I was in a pickle, and as a valuable customer, I wanted to be taken care of. I was about a month away from being eligible. The in-store rep could not/would not do it. The VZW Customer service rep on the phone did.

I call them like I see them. I understand, as a rep, why you would take offense to that though. I wish I would have gotten you in the store, instead of the person I did get. Maybe things would have turned out different -- or maybe not, because you did say this: "but you can't bend the rules for everyone"

I understand that the masses try to take advantage of every situation, but I was a loyal customer with no constant returning of devices, etc.... I broke my screen and needed help. That help was found, not in the store, but on the phone with customer service.

That's how it went down. And that is the advice I will give to Crackberry Nation.

Thanks for your input.
    03-04-10 10:54 PM
    @cherry_pye86 and mountainman

Both of you are right, in my opinion. One, VZW is in business to make money, and you don't do that by bending rules for everyone. That said, sometimes you have to look at the situation and make a business decision. For example, you have two customers, both want a new device, neither is eligible. One is a single line customer, no extra features, has only been a customer for nine months and has never made a payment on time. The other has been with VZW for five years, fantastic payment history, and has six lines with us (five line f/s and a mob-band card). I won't go that far out of my way for the first customer, because he just hasn't set a history with us that warrants it, I'd recommend he look at eBay or other third party sources for a phone. The second customer, I will go to bat for with a supervisor to get a M2, because it's the best business decision. He pays his bill on time, and that bill is substantial. It's a good investment to bend the rule and give that customer a M2.
    03-04-10 11:56 PM
    I almost always call VZW first and do business with them over the phone. I always seem to get better customer service that way.

The only time I go to a local Verizon store is when a device needs to be physically looked at to ensure I have a legitimate issue with the device and didn't take a hammer to my phone. But even then I have my business prepped and ready to execute before I even walk into the store (instead of letting the sales rep determine what I'm going to do).

I think I've been in a local store once in the last 3 years (as well have been with Verizon longer than I can remember), and I maintain 5 devices concurrently.
    03-05-10 12:01 AM

Both of you are right, in my opinion. One, VZW is in business to make money, and you don't do that by bending rules for everyone. That said, sometimes you have to look at the situation and make a business decision. For example, you have two customers, both want a new device, neither is eligible. One is a single line customer, no extra features, has only been a customer for nine months and has never made a payment on time. The other has been with VZW for five years, fantastic payment history, and has six lines with us (five line f/s and a mob-band card). I won't go that far out of my way for the first customer, because he just hasn't set a history with us that warrants it, I'd recommend he look at eBay or other third party sources for a phone. The second customer, I will go to bat for with a supervisor to get a M2, because it's the best business decision. He pays his bill on time, and that bill is substantial. It's a good investment to bend the rule and give that customer a M2.
    Doc - you hit the nail on the head. Even though you're an Avalanche fan.

Go Pens!
    Last edited by mountainman; 03-05-10 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Added Go Pens!
    03-05-10 12:37 AM
    That said, sometimes you have to look at the situation and make a business decision. .
    If only you knew how many times a day reps have to make a "business" decision.

People won't like to hear this, but most issues with customers phones are because of lack of knowledge of their device and/or physical damage/mistreatment.
    03-05-10 06:52 AM

The 2nd customer should get some form of slack! Good pmt history goes a long way. I handle each situation differently. What's a great solution for one might be a horrible solution for another. To the OP I apologize for your experience. In store can be just as effective as Customer Care.

If only you knew how many times a day reps have to make a "business" decision.

People won't like to hear this, but most issues with customers phones are because of lack of knowledge of their device and/or physical damage/mistreatment.
    I am glad that some people understand how many decisions we deal with daily then again you're part of the team lol. When I was in the store it wasn't uncommon for me to go through up to 75-100 accounts in an 8 hour day. Most of those were pushed to me from other reps bc of it being an escalated situation. I want to help every customer the best way I can.
    Last edited by bs1two; 03-05-10 at 09:09 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
    03-05-10 09:06 AM
    I want to help every customer the best way I can.
    As do I, and I have the track record and awards to show I do it. HOWEVER, the expectation that you deserve a phone handed to you any time an issue comes up, especially when it is from being dropped, mishandled, misused, or because someone doesn't take the time to get to know their device is old, and I can assure, you, customers are going to see more and more restrictions on this in the coming months.
    03-05-10 09:13 AM
    As do I, and I have the track record and awards to show I do it. HOWEVER, the expectation that you deserve a phone handed to you any time an issue comes up, especially when it is from being dropped, mishandled, misused, or because someone doesn't take the time to get to know their device is old, and I can assure, you, customers are going to see more and more restrictions on this in the coming months.
    Oh I fully agree with you. Helping the best way I can is to provide the best solution for the customer and for the company. VZW gets the shaft more than the customer. However, most of the customers don't see it. I am shocked at how many Goodwill credits we give just to please the customer.
    03-05-10 09:24 AM
    I am shocked at how many Goodwill credits we give just to please the customer.

Trust me, there are cheques and balances in place to curb this.
    03-05-10 10:18 AM
    Trust me, there are cheques and balances in place to curb this.
    Oh I know but I am shocked we reach the amount every year that we do!
    03-05-10 10:35 AM
    I wasn't saying that there aren't situations that warrant some special consideration or going outside of policy to help a customer. I just don't like hearing people say "don't go to the store, call customer service." I know that I try very hard to assist and please everyone I come in contact with, but at the same time, you can't please everybody. And it is frustrating when you do go out of your way and beyond policy to help someone, then they always feel the policies don't apply to them. But like Wireless Vet said, VZW is starting to crack down on customers with these new policies and I know a lot of customers that will be upset.

03-05-10 07:21 PM
    I wasn't saying that there aren't situations that warrant some special consideration or going outside of policy to help a customer. I just don't like hearing people say "don't go to the store, call customer service." I know that I try very hard to assist and please everyone I come in contact with, but at the same time, you can't please everybody. And it is frustrating when you do go out of your way and beyond policy to help someone, then they always feel the policies don't apply to them. But like Wireless Vet said, VZW is starting to crack down on customers with these new policies and I know a lot of customers that will be upset.

My father-in-law once had to send something back to L.L. Bean because it had a defect. When they sent it back to him, they sent him a check for the postage that he paid to send the item in. He never did cash that check, but saved it as a reminder about the excellent customer service that he had received. In fact, as a salesman for IBM, he shared that check with his peers as an example of how to retain customers. This was many many years ago.

The days of "the customer is always right" are in jeopardy.

Because I called Customer service, and they helped me out, do you think I'm NOT going to recommend VZW to my friends? Of course I am! I received excellent customer service on the phone. They "bended" a rule for me. And let's just all remember here, I was one -- let me repeat that -- one month away from being eligible. It's not like I was asking for an early upgrade 8 months before.

I love the statement above, "VZW is starting to crack down on customers with these new policies". That is just too funny. That's what we need, cracked down on. Crack down on those pesky, leetchy, phone-breaking customers. Yeah, that will teach them!

I'm sure there is some great customer service to be had in some stores, as all of you that commented, and said that you really do try to help the customer. But I would be doing a disservice to the Crackberry Nation, to all Newbies, Users, Abusers, Addicts, Geniuses, and to all great web surfers who read this post, if I were to recommend going to the store. I will not, and can not, do that. My experience has lead to a recommendation for all Verizon Wireless customers who are having problems, to call customer service. It's a blanket statement. It's a bold statement. It's the statement that will allow customers that are "cracked down on" to rise up, to have their problem heard, and their problem corrected. Contrary to popular belief, the customer is always right!
    03-06-10 12:00 AM
    No they're not.

03-06-10 02:45 AM
    No they're not.

Amen! That's the type of thinking that makes customers expect the rules to be bent for them. I understand that without our customers I wouldn't be able to feed my son, but no dear, they are not always right.

03-06-10 05:32 AM
    I do 99% of my business with VZW on-line and over the phone. I have to be in dire need to step foot in a store, sigh in and wait for an hour for help.

03-06-10 06:43 AM
    But I was in a pickle, and as a valuable customer, I wanted to be taken care of. I was about a month away from being eligible.
    So are hundreds of customers with similar problems who go into stores every day. Should all of them get special treatment? If not, how do you decide who does and who doesnt?

I understand that the masses try to take advantage of every situation, but I was a loyal customer with no constant returning of devices, etc.... I broke my screen and needed help.
    There are plenty of people who this statement could apply to.

It's good that they were able to help you out. But I see no reason why you should have expected them to.
    03-06-10 08:12 AM
    So are hundreds of customers with similar problems who go into stores every day. Should all of them get special treatment? If not, how do you decide who does and who doesnt?

There are plenty of people who this statement could apply to.

It's good that they were able to help you out. But I see no reason why you should have expected them to.
    Lots of people demand exceptional customer service. I received this great service. All customers deserve this level of service. I was upgraded one month early. Should I not have expected them to do it?

Why not? Think about how much money you give to VZW each month on a 2 year agreement. I "give" about $4000. Let's say 25 customers leave VZW because of poor customer service. Over 2 years, that's a hundred grand. The customers are the most important part of any service-oriented business.
    03-06-10 08:52 AM
    The customers are the most important part of any service-oriented business.
    This I agree with, but sorry sir, no one is ever ALWAYS right.
    Last edited by supermario28; 03-06-10 at 10:08 AM.
    03-06-10 09:54 AM
    Lots of people demand exceptional customer service. I received this great service. All customers deserve this level of service. I was upgraded one month early. Should I not have expected them to do it?

Why not? Think about how much money you give to VZW each month on a 2 year agreement. I "give" about $4000. Let's say 25 customers leave VZW because of poor customer service. Over 2 years, that's a hundred grand. The customers are the most important part of any service-oriented business.
    A rep must weigh the need of the customer and the need of business. In some cases, this does not benefit the customer, thereby leaving the customer the feeling they got less than stellar customer service.

My experience has been that reps will go that extra mile for a customer to make them happy, unless anger is first thing they hear upon receipt of a call. Now, there is a difference between frustration, anger, and rudeness.
    03-06-10 10:05 AM

I did the math on this, did you know that Verizon would lose 104.166 dollars going by your "theory" in the next two years, for the 100 grand they saved.

I may be wrong, so you tell me:

4000 per month for two years(24 months) 166.66 per month, then 25 people do this, so it's 4,166.66 for the one month lost of contract because of signing in month 19 instead of month 20.

Well if that were to happen every month, for two year with just 25 people, verizon would lose 104, 166 over the two years that they wont get back

I dont see how that is "helping" the company
    03-06-10 10:20 AM
    I couldn't agree more...Always better to call customer service..the store near me is ok but customer service there seems rigid and the verizon phone reps always seem nicer and more willing to help on the phone.
    03-06-10 10:23 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD