So I had an interesting experience with Verizon today, but I knew no one could really relate as well as you guys! The other day I was messing around with my curve, and i took the trackball out with my nail. I accidentally broke two of the little plastic nibs that hold the trackball in. This meant that I needed to replace the trackball. I knew I could go on Crackberry.com to buy the replacement for $10, but I wanted to see if Verizon could possibly replace it for me for free. I took my phone in, and the idiots there gave me an entirely new curve to replace my old one, simply because those two little plastic nibs were broken on the trackball. They could have fixed the problem for like $5, but instead, I ended up with a new phone. Yay for a small victory over the company that screws me month after month!

So, moral of the story: If something's wrong with your phone, and it's still under the year warranty, break the trackball and bring it in to Verizon!
    05-29-09 11:49 AM
    So I had an interesting experience with Verizon today, but I knew no one could really relate as well as you guys! The other day I was messing around with my curve, and i took the trackball out with my nail. I accidentally broke two of the little plastic nibs that hold the trackball in. This meant that I needed to replace the trackball. I knew I could go on Crackberry.com to buy the replacement for $10, but I wanted to see if Verizon could possibly replace it for me for free. I took my phone in, and the idiots there gave me an entirely new curve to replace my old one, simply because those two little plastic nibs were broken on the trackball. They could have fixed the problem for like $5, but instead, I ended up with a new phone. Yay for a small victory over the company that screws me month after month!

So, moral of the story: If something's wrong with your phone, and it's still under the year warranty, break the trackball and bring it in to Verizon!

An entirely new refurbed/recertified phone?
    05-29-09 11:50 AM
    wow, i should've tried to do that when i broke the trackball outta my curve last year
    05-29-09 11:53 AM
    Yay for a small victory over the company that screws me month after month!

If they screw you so bad why do you stay with Verizon?
    05-29-09 11:58 AM

Haha. I first read you post thinking how can you expect every Verizon employee is trained on how to replace a trackball...but as I read further on I understood. VZW will send the broken phone in and either get it repaired and resold as a refurb unit or sell it to a refurbisher. So its really not much of a loss to them, plus they can mak ep for it screwing us over month to month!

Verizon is the only decent service provider in my area. I cant get anything else other than a state based wireless company that has no BB service. ATT aquired our area though so from my understanding well be paying them soon instead of VZW.
    05-29-09 02:20 PM

if they screw you month to month why are you still with them?

Find another company if you don't like the service that you pay for
    05-29-09 03:12 PM
    It's also people like you that make the cost of doing business higher. And guess who ends up paying for it, yes, the customers.

You broke the BB, then instead of buying a $5 part, took it in and feel great because they gave you a new phone.

Yes $5 part. eBay seller mobilexny sells OEM trackballs (ring included) for less than $5 with first class shipping included from NY. You could have had a new trackball and ring in about 2-3 days.
    05-29-09 03:20 PM
    yeah, wtf? way to pass your laziness on to other consumers like us. As others have said, if "they screw you month after month", why do you stay? Go elsewhere and wreak your reckless havok on some other carrier.
    05-29-09 03:38 PM
    Cellular Accessories - Apple, 3G, Alcatel, BenQ-Siemens, HTC, SonyEricsson, Tools, BlackBerry, Microsof, the trackball collars are $1 each. Buy yourself a dozen and avoid this problem in the future. Easy, no?

Sorry, it seems the URL likes to expand when I type it in.
    05-29-09 03:42 PM
    Not to mention the fact that you were the toolshed that carelessly broke your phone, bet you blamed VZW for that too...
    05-29-09 03:44 PM
    You guys are giving the OP too much grief.. If you took it in for this, which btw is COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, and they offered you a new device, would you refuse it?

He|| no you wouldnt.. no one here would.
    05-29-09 03:48 PM
    ### Message ###
    I'm guessing you just banged your head on your keyboard to come up with your username?
    05-29-09 03:51 PM
    You guys are giving the OP too much grief.
    +1.

I'm sure it costs Verizon less to handle it this way than it does to train everyone in all their stores to swap out BlackBerry trackballs when they break... not to mention the liability if one of their store employees further jacks up a customer's BB.

So they send the "broken" phone off to their trained repair folk who swap out the trackball, repackage it, and put it back into stock for the next person who comes in with a broken trackball.
    05-29-09 04:24 PM
    +1.

I'm sure it costs Verizon less to handle it this way than it does to train everyone in all their stores to swap out BlackBerry trackballs when they break... not to mention the liability if one of their store employees further jacks up a customer's BB.

So they send the "broken" phone off to their trained repair folk who swap out the trackball, repackage it, and put it back into stock for the next person who comes in with a broken trackball.
    This is really the only thing that pisses me off about verizon, actually. AT&T and Sprint both repair phones in some of their stores.

The housing on the BB Pearl 8130 actually is known for being weak, and when mine broke, I was desperate. You see, not only am I an addict, but I work in sales and my customers all prefer to email instead of call, and I could have missed out on a TON of business waiting on a part to come in or my insurance to kick in.

So I took my phone to Sprint & they fixed it for me. They charged me $30.00 for it but it was worth not missing the business, so I happily paid.
    05-29-09 06:08 PM
    They charged me $30.00 for it but it was worth not missing the business, so I happily paid.
    And how would you have missed the business had they just swapped the phone?
    05-29-09 06:57 PM
    i would venture to say that his screen cracked too.

as far as the op.
    i do believe you guys are giving him too much greif.
    they have thousands of refurbs in a factory somewhere that they paid for way way long ago.
    and when someone needs a replacement phone from insurance they will get 100 bucks for his old phone.
    he also prob paid 200 for the phone when it cost then 50 bucks a unit in bulk.

either way vzw wins.

he didnt screw them out of anything.
    05-29-09 07:05 PM
    So, moral of the story...
    That's funny...should it be lack of!
    05-29-09 07:07 PM
    An entirely new refurbed/recertified phone?
    LOL, my thoughts exactly!!
    05-29-09 07:28 PM
    I was over a year on owning my phone, it's not under warrenty!

I know, SHOCKER... some people actually pick a phone they like and STICK WITH IT!
    05-29-09 08:33 PM
    i would venture to say that his screen cracked too.

as far as the op.
    i do believe you guys are giving him too much greif.
    they have thousands of refurbs in a factory somewhere that they paid for way way long ago.
    and when someone needs a replacement phone from insurance they will get 100 bucks for his old phone.
    he also prob paid 200 for the phone when it cost then 50 bucks a unit in bulk.

either way vzw wins.

he didnt screw them out of anything.
    OMG... I feel like screaming!!

You can't really scroll up and down very well without a trackball can you? So I couldn't exactly have gone back and forth between all the functions I needed for the phone.

DIDN'T I CLEARLY STATE that most of my customers want to reach me on email? But I also need to use the VZNAV, etc. If I had went 2 days waiting on the insurance company to replace the phone, I'd have been out and about, lost as all heck - but without access to my email - and I would have missed business as a result.

If it matters, because clearly you think I'm an ***** - my business is based around quoting for services first in order to obtain the business. So if I don't respond to the email requesting a quote faster or as fast as someone with another company, I lose it.

Since I am responsible in maintaining (and growing) about $250,000 in sales on a monthly basis, this means I would have lost at least $24,000 (250,000 divided by average 21 business days a month x 2 days) by not having my mobile access to BES connected email for 2 days.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG - VZW does not get discounts for buying phones in bulk. The retail price you see when you buy the phone, is the retail price on the phone. Verizon does not get a discount. They will sell for equail price knowing they make a profit on the service, hoping that because you bought a phone for their network that you will activate service. The DISCOUNT you get when you buy a new phone with a 1 or 2 year agreement, is WHY if you cancel your service you get charged a $175 early termination fee. It's to recoup what they lost when they sold you that phone at discount.

Don't believe me? Go talk to someone who works for a cell phone manufacturer.

AND LASTLY... He? Sorry. She. Please note the sn.

I hate it when people state things like that as fact... And I get really, super annoyed being questioned over something thats irrelevant to the reason I commented to begin with.

My point is thus: Sprint and AT&T offer repair services in their stores. And they are willing to repair my phone, even though I am on another carrier, at an elevated cost than what they offer their subscribers. Which actually is okay. Actually $30 is less than $50 for the insurance. But that wasn't my point. I was commenting on the fact that someone said VZW didn't repair basic phone functions because it's not cost effective. It is. Other carriers do it. And they don't make money on refurbs at all. Quite the contrary, wireless carriers lose a ton of money every year on phones and replacements... But luckily, they charge good $$ for their services, so they're still around.

Love VZW, but this one thing I just don't get.
    Last edited by angelalynn79; 05-29-09 at 08:48 PM.
    05-29-09 08:39 PM
    Ok listen. I was backing you when ppl were making questions on why your phone didt work because of a cracked case.

Second. Exactly when did you start working for vzw and know how much they pay for their devices? Just cause you are a sleezy salesman dosent mean you know everybodys expenses

And third. Quit the attitude. I

Enjoy your life in your bubble, when it pops one day I want to see you deal with reality.

You are not worth me typing any more on my phone

Good bye

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 12:27 AM
    1st: Eve6 was defending you Angel. At least that's what I gathered?

2nd: Eve6, Angel is actually right. We don't make money off devices. We make money off the service. That's why we "screw everybody over every month".

And yes, I work for VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 12:48 AM
    Ok, we are done with this.
    05-30-09 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD