05-09-09 02:43 PM
31 12
tools
    You wouldn't know that from here in CA where Sprint out performs VZW every step of the way.

I can tell you that my buddies on VZW drop more calls and don't get coverage where I do with Sprint.
    Huh?
    Thats a new one on me; I live here in LA.
    I may have a dropped call here and there depending
    on where I am but that may be a device issue as
    well. Cause I have the Storm. I know when I go thru downtown
    LA on the 101 I can loose a call. But I know Sprint has it's areas
    as well. It might not be so much the coverage; as much as something
    blocking the transmission.
    05-08-09 09:00 AM
    Huh?
    Thats a new one on me; I live here in LA.
    I may have a dropped call here and there depending
    on where I am but that may be a device issue as
    well. Cause I have the Storm. I know when I go thru downtown
    LA on the 101 I can loose a call. But I know Sprint has it's areas
    as well. It might not be so much the coverage; as much as something
    blocking the transmission.
    So if you've experienced dropped calls with VZW it really isn't a new one on you is it now? Sure blame on the device.

Come down to the OC and witness the poor coverage. For instance in Laguna Beach my VZW buddies can't make a call from the beach, the west side of coast hwy. They have to walk up 100 steps and cross the hwy in order to have a signal.
    05-08-09 11:37 AM
    But i cant seem to find the answer. My friends have all the major cell phone carriers except verizon. When we are out of range their phones use other carrier towers (ie: my fiances tmobile phone will use att or sprint towers). Does verizon offer a plan that allows this? I understand that verizon is cdma and att is the other thing (the name escapes me right now lol). Just wondering. Any advice is appreciated.
    Yes they occasionally roam on other carrer's networks (though not as often as other carriers do) and voice service while roaming is free BUT you may be charged for date (I mention this since it is a BB forum), so be careful there.
    05-08-09 10:06 PM
    Yes they occasionally roam on other carrer's networks (though not as often as other carriers do) and voice service while roaming is free BUT you may be charged for date (I mention this since it is a BB forum), so be careful there.
    Might want to add on there unless the Tmobile phone was a quad band phone it wont be roaming on sprint..
    CDMA can roam on CDMA.. GSM can roam on GSM.. quad bands should be able to roam on all of them but it depends on what your carrier covers as far as roaming.. if you get the 8830we sprint i dont think sprint will cover GSM roaming in the united state.. only CDMA but i am not 100% positive of this
    05-08-09 10:11 PM
    I am trying to figure out how people claim they know what towers they are on - without tower ID and some identifying information to determine who owns that tower ID, you're not going to know whose towers you're on.

Unless you identify the tower ID signature, a feature not available anywhere in the phone interface, you haven't a clue as to who is carrying your roaming signal.

Of the four major carriers, T-Mobile will only roam on AT&T as Sprint is only 1900 PCS using CDMA. So you're not going to be roaming on Sprint with a T-Mobile phone without that quad-band phone.

Also, many towers are not owned by any of the big four and some aren't even owned by wireless carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 12:43 AM
    Might want to add on there unless the Tmobile phone was a quad band phone it wont be roaming on sprint..
    CDMA can roam on CDMA.. GSM can roam on GSM.. quad bands should be able to roam on all of them but it depends on what your carrier covers as far as roaming.. if you get the 8830we sprint i dont think sprint will cover GSM roaming in the united state.. only CDMA but i am not 100% positive of this
    Of the four major carriers, T-Mobile will only roam on AT&T as Sprint is only 1900 PCS using CDMA. So you're not going to be roaming on Sprint with a T-Mobile phone without that quad-band phone.
    Copier
    05-09-09 02:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD