05-09-09 02:43 PM
31 12
tools
    But i cant seem to find the answer. My friends have all the major cell phone carriers except verizon. When we are out of range their phones use other carrier towers (ie: my fiances tmobile phone will use att or sprint towers). Does verizon offer a plan that allows this? I understand that verizon is cdma and att is the other thing (the name escapes me right now lol). Just wondering. Any advice is appreciated.
    05-06-09 09:13 AM
    VZW does not as roaming is automatic.
    05-06-09 10:23 AM
    i dont think so. the only other network you could roam on would be sprints and since vzw has much better coverage than they do.. i dont see why they would.
    05-06-09 10:23 AM
    Verizon customers can and do roam on other carriers. Not so much Sprint as say US Cellular because Sprint is usually only where Verizon already is. For some carriers you do have to have your phone roaming settings set to auto instead of home only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 11:31 AM
    If you have one of the World Edition phones (8830WE, Storm) You can even roam on GSM (that's the system name that escaped you) worldwide, but there are fees for this type of roaming.
    05-06-09 11:39 AM
    i dont think so. the only other network you could roam on would be sprints and since vzw has much better coverage than they do.. i dont see why they would.
    You wouldn't know that from here in CA where Sprint out performs VZW every step of the way.

I can tell you that my buddies on VZW drop more calls and don't get coverage where I do with Sprint.
    05-06-09 12:43 PM
    If you have one of the World Edition phones (8830WE, Storm) You can even roam on GSM (that's the system name that escaped you) worldwide, but there are fees for this type of roaming.
    Beautiful thing about the 8830 is to be able to pop in a local phone card when you need it so you're not paying the $2min when out of the country.

Does VZN have an international plan like Sprint so you have a flat fee for all your BB usage (except calls) while out of the States the same as when in the US?

05-06-09 12:55 PM
    If you have a nationwide plan u never pay extra for roaming. I have service everywhere I go in the US. I have never seen a roam icon or anything like that on VZW network.

05-06-09 06:50 PM
    Yes - Verizon has a global plan good in 170 countrys. Its better than Sprints. Mainly because the Storm is Quad Band GSM and has the 2100 frequency. It works everywhere i have been. Like Bishkek, Kuwait, Iraq, to name a few.

I had Sprint from 2000 to 2008.
    05-06-09 07:01 PM
    that is a bold statement.
    different providers are better in different areas all around the country.

just because vzw has a better nationwide coverage dosent mean they are better everywhere.
    here in MA where i live my cuzin cannot get reception on my whole street but sprint is killing vzw on my 4 mile st
    05-06-09 10:02 PM
    How much does it cost roaming charges /kb if I am using Verizon in Canada?
    05-07-09 03:37 AM
    Yes - Verizon has a global plan good in 170 countrys. Its better than Sprints. Mainly because the Storm is Quad Band GSM and has the 2100 frequency. It works everywhere i have been. Like Bishkek, Kuwait, Iraq, to name a few.

I had Sprint from 2000 to 2008.
    'better' is a matter of opinion I don't have the Storm, have the 8830WE

Now back to that question... add'l questions:
    How much do you pay for the global data plan? Is it unlimited?
    What are the roaming charges per minute for calls?

Thanks in advance for the info
    05-07-09 03:55 AM
    But i cant seem to find the answer. My friends have all the major cell phone carriers except verizon. When we are out of range their phones use other carrier towers (ie: my fiances tmobile phone will use att or sprint towers). Does verizon offer a plan that allows this? I understand that verizon is cdma and att is the other thing (the name escapes me right now lol). Just wondering. Any advice is appreciated.
    It is quite common for competing carriers to have "Inter-carrier Agreements" which enable subscribers to roam on other networks. Of course, the network technology has to be the same (like GSM-to-GSM ala T-Mobile and AT&T or CDMA-to-CDMA ala VZW, Sprint, US Cellular).

Try not to look exclusively at "who" owns the tower, as typically, space is leased to multiple carriers on the same tower, especially if that tower is owned by a third party (the name of one of those big players escapes me...Castle-something? Something-rock? ?? ). In some areas, carrier-owned towers will lease space to competitors.

edit to add: as to charges to the subscriber, it ultimately depends on the rate plan he/she is signed up for. Most rate plans do not incur roaming charges (for the big carriers: VZW, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular)...smaller regional carriers may have local plans which would charge for roaming outside a certain area.
    Last edited by Gawain; 05-07-09 at 08:00 AM.
    05-07-09 07:14 AM
    that is a bold statement.
    different providers are better in different areas all around the country.

just because vzw has a better nationwide coverage dosent mean they are better everywhere.
    here in MA where i live my cuzin cannot get reception on my whole street but sprint is killing vzw on my 4 mile st
    It's just your 4 mile street bro. Unless you have a tower in your backyard or strapped to your back Sprint is just about worthless. Too bad the millions of customers they lost last year dont live with you eh?
    05-07-09 08:43 AM
    Too bad the millions of customers they lost last year dont live with you eh?
    Totaltele.com reported 4.6 million customers and over $2.8 billion lost for 2008. That's over 10%.

05-07-09 01:39 PM
    Having traveled the entire US, been in every state in the union and Canada I have to say that Sprint has never let me down, going on 10 years with them. Friends on Verizon however can't say the same.

In fact here in The OC (southern ca orange county) they continually drop calls and if we're on the beach they have to walk up the steps and cross Coast Hwy to get to the east side of the Hwy in order to make a call.

You Verizon people crack me up with your hatred for Sprint. It's a service and all services experience good and bad. I like my phones fully operational, my SEP and the great coverage.

It's just your 4 mile street bro. Unless you have a tower in your backyard or strapped to your back Sprint is just about worthless. Too bad the millions of customers they lost last year dont live with you eh?
    05-07-09 01:52 PM
    Where did you get your 4.6 million customer number? Off the top of your head?

All reports say 1.3 million, most of them being Nextel Customers. Which was offset by a gain of 764,000 prepaid customers from its Boost Mobile brand.

Totaltele.com reported 4.6 million customers and over $2.8 billion lost for 2008. That's over 10%.

05-07-09 02:03 PM
    Dude! I told you in the post where I got it. Totaltele.com republished a news story from a little known organization called WSJ. I know, I know, the Wall Street Journal is one of those fringe groups that knows nothing about business, but it was the first article I found.

Total Telecom - Sprint Nextel CEO gets $2.6m 2008 bonus despite losses

Feel free to read it yourself.

05-07-09 03:26 PM

All reports say 1.3 million, most of them being Nextel Customers. Which was offset by a gain of 764,000 prepaid customers from its Boost Mobile brand.
    That's what I read also.

Here's the rest of that 'huge' article from over a month ago so it wasnt accessible to anyone not a WSJ subscriber (it was only 2 or 3 more long sentences, and the jest was basically "carrier has actually shown improvement")
    Sprint’s CEO Rakes in $15.5M in Compensation
    Last edited by bfoster; 05-07-09 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typos
    05-07-09 04:06 PM

http://library.corporate-ir.net/libr...ngsRelease.pdf

The company served 49.3 million customers at the end of 2008, compared to 53.8 million at the end of 2007. And lost $2.796 Billion (yes that is Billion).
    05-07-09 04:23 PM
    Try not to look exclusively at "who" owns the tower, as typically, space is leased to multiple carriers on the same tower, especially if that tower is owned by a third party (the name of one of those big players escapes me...Castle-something? Something-rock? ?? ). In some areas, carrier-owned towers will lease space to competitors.
    Very true statement. Also isn't it true that sprint doesn't expand its primary coverage because verizon requires the roaming contract fees to subset the costs to its network. Hense sprint and verizon have a kind of symbiotic relationship? Somehow i dont see verizon able to afford all maintenance and power costs to their network without leasing out bandwidth.. Unless they raised prices recently... They dont always lease space on the TOWER itself.. they lease space within the available bandwidth itself..

But if people would rather believe that it would be beneficial for sprint to waste money adding more bandwidth to areas that have large amounts to spare, and that this is cost productive for both sprint and verizon.. let them believe this...
    Ever wonder why sprints primary networks are only in areas that have high population densities that might require additional bandwidth?
    Last edited by numus; 05-07-09 at 06:31 PM.
    05-07-09 05:55 PM

Oohhh...prepaid...there's revenue stability for you.

That 1.3 million was just the last quarter dude.

They lost 2 contract customers for every one pre-paid. That is net loss.

Sprint is simply in the circumstance of strange decisions made over the past 10-20 years...the slow spin seemed to start from the time GTE divested US Sprint in 1991...oh well...
    05-08-09 08:15 AM
    Oohhh...prepaid...there's revenue stability for you.

That 1.3 million was just the last quarter dude.

They lost 2 contract customers for every one pre-paid. That is net loss.

Sprint is simply in the circumstance of strange decisions made over the past 10-20 years...the slow spin seemed to start from the time GTE divested US Sprint in 1991...oh well...
    You do realize there is a much larger profit margin with pre-paid then there is with contract correct?
    05-08-09 08:29 AM
    You do realize there is a much larger profit margin with pre-paid then there is with contract correct?
    Certainly, the profit margin is higher, but the recurring revenue is less. Average Revenue Per User is less. Given the far fewer number of users versus the incumbent carrier model, it's not universally sustainable. The grave-yard of MVNOs and resellers is proof of this.

Also, Sprint's overall net-loss for the year, and recent quarter report, validate this fact.

Despite wireless' growth, it's not a coincidence that carriers that are prospering (including T-Mobile) are the ones that are still "owned" by Telcos. If Sprint/Embarq had not completely spun off Sprint PCS, there would be a different reality for them I think. Of course, Sprint's $30B Nextel write-down last year isn't helping their bottom line either.
    05-08-09 08:50 AM
    Very true statement. Also isn't it true that sprint doesn't expand its primary coverage because verizon requires the roaming contract fees to subset the costs to its network. Hense sprint and verizon have a kind of symbiotic relationship? Somehow i dont see verizon able to afford all maintenance and power costs to their network without leasing out bandwidth.. Unless they raised prices recently... They dont always lease space on the TOWER itself.. they lease space within the available bandwidth itself..
    Yes, that's called an inter-carrier agreement (aka roaming agreement). It's a use agreement of sorts, not a dedicated lease.

But if people would rather believe that it would be beneficial for sprint to waste money adding more bandwidth to areas that have large amounts to spare, and that this is cost productive for both sprint and verizon.. let them believe this...
    Ever wonder why sprints primary networks are only in areas that have high population densities that might require additional bandwidth?
    Sprint's primary networks are only in these dense MSAs because of the spectrum auction from the 1990s. They've acquired smaller licenses over time, but none of Sprint's network is part of the "legacy" of the original carriers from the 1980s-early 90s (McCaw, GTE Mobilnet, CellularOne, etc.).

So, yes, Sprint and Verizon have inter-carrier agreements which allow use of each other's networks, but how they regulate or restrict it in certain markets, I couldn't tell you.
    05-08-09 08:56 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD