hi there,

my wife and i have both storm1 and travelling overseas soon. do any of you know if VZW will provide unlock codes for each so we can both use them?

thanks...
    12-14-09 01:56 PM
    Probably, but lets transfer this thread to the Verizon Forum, the experts there can let you know for sure.
    12-14-09 03:10 PM
    Why don't you just call Verizon? Wouldn't that be the easier way to find out?
    12-14-09 03:18 PM
    If you're going to use the VZW/Vodafone SIM cards in the phones, then you don't need an unlock code. Call VZW CS and explain that you are traveling overseas, and that you want Global Email/Data (basically a Global BIS). They'll prorate the charges for the time you're away.

Confirm the countries you're traveling to on their web-site, some countries you need to manually configure your UMTS/GSM network settings.

I did this, on the phone at a Verizon store, just to make sure there was no silliness.
    12-14-09 03:28 PM
    I thought that they still need to give you a code so that you can use the SIM card. Like an activation code so to speak for the SIM card slot.
    12-14-09 03:33 PM
    they need to actually activate the sim cards them self, and verizon will unlock the both phones, theres no restrictions in regards to having multiple phones are unlocked, if you stating both phones are being brought overseas, than your good to go, verizon global plans are mad expensive, and overseas sim cards are super cheap. i would recommend the cheap route.
    12-14-09 03:51 PM
    thanks for all the responses....i called vzw after I posted and was told that, per vzw regulations, they can only unlock one phone per account. since both are in one account, they only gave me code for one.
    12-14-09 05:08 PM
    they need to actually activate the sim cards them self, and verizon will unlock the both phones, theres no restrictions in regards to having multiple phones are unlocked, if you stating both phones are being brought overseas, than your good to go, verizon global plans are mad expensive, and overseas sim cards are super cheap. i would recommend the cheap route.
    Depends on how long you're going to be gone. The Global BIS is only a $30/mo premium, and the data is unlimited. If you don't use the voice, you won't have any extraneous charges. It worked like a charm for my 3 weeks in Japan, and would gladly use it again.

Less time, well, the value may not be there. I've always wondered though. If you use a different SIM while there, can you still use BIS/Data?
    12-14-09 05:18 PM
    thats a good point... i use wifi alot so that was my reasoning for not paying the additional global cost, i do not believe youll being able to use bis while on a different sim with verizon. once the verizon sim is removed i dont believe it can interact with the data through the network on verizon.
    12-14-09 05:20 PM
    That one phone per account thing seems pretty fishy to me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 05:58 PM
    thanks for all the responses....i called vzw after I posted and was told that, per vzw regulations, they can only unlock one phone per account. since both are in one account, they only gave me code for one.
    That's odd. I had both of my Storms unlocked at the same time. Same account and part of a family share.
    12-14-09 07:18 PM
    once the verizon sim is removed i dont believe it can interact with the data through the network on verizon.
    Why would removing the SIM card have anything to do with VZW? Verizon is CDMA not GSM. THe SIM card is not used at all on Verizons network..

In fact, a lot of people take them out because supposedly it saves battery life...
    12-14-09 07:45 PM
    Why would removing the SIM card have anything to do with VZW? Verizon is CDMA not GSM. THe SIM card is not used at all on Verizons network..

In fact, a lot of people take them out because supposedly it saves battery life...
    We're talking about while roaming in another country on GSM. If you use the VZW/Vodafone SIM that came with the Storm, using VZWs Global Data plan is a non-issue. Once you begin roaming and registering with the network, VZW sends a message verifying access, and you can get VZW network support. If you go to Switzerland for example and throw in a SwissCom SIM instead, you can't get VZW support, prompting my question could you even utilize BIS (@vzw.blackberry.net, etc). Certainly you can make calls, but to use the data, you have to buy the plan, and some country's plans are funky.

In the end, I guess it's a matter of where you're going, and how long you'll be there. If I were to go to Canada, no way in **** would I buy a SIM up there to use on Rogers/Bell/Telus et al...as their rates absolutely s**k and I can get a North American roaming plan with VZW that's reasonable.

If I were going to Japan for only a week, and needed to make calls, using a local SIM makes sense. If I want data, not so much, but then I lose cost-competitive calling.

My own personal experience just a couple months ago in Japan was so seamless...VZW got it right.
    12-14-09 08:55 PM
    hi there,

my wife and i have both storm1 and travelling overseas soon. do any of you know if VZW will provide unlock codes for each so we can both use them?

thanks...
    Yes, they can unlock both phones, if you have had service for at lest 90 days, are not past due and the phones are active on the account.
    12-14-09 11:32 PM
    They can only unloce one phone per line, not account. They gave you wrong information. Call again, get the other unlocked.
    12-14-09 11:33 PM
    thanks all for the good info. i will make another call to them for the other one.
    supermario -- my 7 year old is crazy about supermario in his ds!
    12-15-09 03:17 PM
    We're talking about while roaming in another country on GSM. If you use the VZW/Vodafone SIM that came with the Storm, using VZWs Global Data plan is a non-issue. Once you begin roaming and registering with the network, VZW sends a message verifying access, and you can get VZW network support. If you go to Switzerland for example and throw in a SwissCom SIM instead, you can't get VZW support, prompting my question could you even utilize BIS (@vzw.blackberry.net, etc). Certainly you can make calls, but to use the data, you have to buy the plan, and some country's plans are funky.

In the end, I guess it's a matter of where you're going, and how long you'll be there. If I were to go to Canada, no way in **** would I buy a SIM up there to use on Rogers/Bell/Telus et al...as their rates absolutely s**k and I can get a North American roaming plan with VZW that's reasonable.

If I were going to Japan for only a week, and needed to make calls, using a local SIM makes sense. If I want data, not so much, but then I lose cost-competitive calling.

My own personal experience just a couple months ago in Japan was so seamless...VZW got it right.
    Well yes, if you are in another country, and using the VZW SIM, then you would not have service if you remove it. But it is most likely, liek you said, more cost effective to get a SIM in the country you are in depending on where you are going.
    12-15-09 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD