02-18-09 12:22 PM
43 12
tools
    Is it just me or are more "successful" working ppl using verizon that any other carrier? I have been noticing a trend as of late. At work, most doctors, management, middle management, execs use Verizon. I even did jury duty recently and notice the lawyers, most had verizon 8830s and at&t bolds. Better credit is required as well as the higher cost for service that as been exhaustively argued about here. But as u travel to the lower end of the spectrum (workforce, kids, etc), it starts to turn into t-mobile, sprint, etc.

So does having that red check make u feel a little more .... how can I put it... more like u have a Rolex verse a fossil.... if u know what I mean?

I'm just curious to see if u guys feel this stigma that I am seeing. At the very least in the NYC area anyway. And ever wonder if Verizon..... likes it this way?
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-10-09 at 12:31 PM.
    02-10-09 11:32 AM
    I'm poor and I have verizon
    02-10-09 11:37 AM
    HAHA! Appreciate the honesty!
    02-10-09 11:41 AM
    what a stupid post.

even poor people can own a rolex...
    02-10-09 11:42 AM
    From what I see in my everyday experiences, there is this perception that Verizon is the best of the best, when in fact all of it is subjective. Cause what might work for you, in fact might be garbage for me.
    02-10-09 11:58 AM
    I'm a verizon user...but I'm kinda irritated with them most of the time. And I'm also poor...a poor broke college student. However I'll go without food before I go without my BB. Might be switching to USCC though...their package is looking better and better.
    02-10-09 12:26 PM
    Interesting post. I have noticed many powerfull people using Verizon, but that doesnt mean that only the upper crust uses Big Red. Fact is there really is no relation to who uses who. Mostly its related to coverage in your area.

There was a funny skit done on The Chappelle Show years ago. In it Dave was a white newscaster covering a story on the African American Community receiving reparations for slavery. One of the funniest lines was him saying "Sprints stock has risen sharply due to over 1,000,000 delinquent phone bills being paid." (By the African American Community being paid Reparations) While I am in no way, shape or form racist in any way, this seriously cracked me up, mainly due to the well known fact that Sprint has historically taken on high risk customers.
    Last edited by cenloe; 02-10-09 at 06:06 PM.
    02-10-09 01:35 PM
    The other thing too is Verizon holds a lot of business contracts. Like I work for a hospital who has their services, so we get the discount. Government uses them alot also, that probably more reason why you see the more "upper crust" people using them
    02-10-09 01:36 PM
    How stupid. I am poor but we have Verizon for the coverage. To put "classes" on the carrier is stupid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 01:42 PM
    I've been a V customer since the 9/11 incident. Switched from another carrier. But I did my research before switching and every 2 years I research before renewing. (usually when I buy a new phone). I will not go to another company unless they can offer me what I get @ V. That is customer service.

02-10-09 01:43 PM
    Broke as can be and have Verizon as well...

02-10-09 02:01 PM
    i heard 8 out of 10 NASA engineers use VZW, ha.

i think that in general those with lower credit, no credit or poor credit tend towards t-mobile and sprint because the deposits are cheaper. i travel around a little and i find that others who travel also have VZW. those that need coverage in more places, don't mind paying a bit more for that, seem to choose VZW...i'm sure there's a meaning there somewhere but i've got a headache.

that is just what i've observed.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-10-09 at 02:08 PM.
    02-10-09 02:04 PM
    I am a millionaire and I use Sprint. I got so rich because I have saved all that money instead of going with Verizon .

Seriously, my small-business will use whatever is needed to make us work better. I started with the Treo 600 on Sprint and I have NEVER had a problem with their voice or data coverage up and down the east coast and the few times I traveled to CA and NV.
    02-10-09 02:15 PM
    i think that in general those with lower credit, no credit or poor credit tend towards t-mobile and sprint because the deposits are cheaper.
    Very true. T-Mobile & Sprint also have lower credit requirements than either VZW or AT&T.
    BUT we never want to assume poor=bad credit. There are a lot of well off people with bad credit/integrity (just look at some of the recent Obama selections for proof), just as there are a lot of poor people with stellar credit.

02-10-09 02:56 PM
    I think what the poster is asking mainly is do you see VZW as being a status symbol. I personally have seen a lot of this as well and agree with it.....with Metro PCS/Boost Mobile being on the opposite end of the spectrum giving you "street cred".
    02-10-09 03:05 PM
    lol @ "street cred"
    02-10-09 03:21 PM
    Im well off on NYC standards....And I use Sprint....I could have Verizon if I want to, infact their the main ones sending me junk mail to switch..

But why when I pay considerably less with Sprint and I get coverage everywhere I go, I dont have to worry about my phone being locked down and stripped and I know if I lose Sprint coverage, Verizon will be right there to back up For FREE...So I have the best of both worlds on Sprint.
    02-10-09 03:29 PM
    Interesting post. I have noticed many powerfull people using Verizon, but that doesnt mean that only the upper crust uses Big Red. Fact is there really is no relation to who uses who. Mostly its related to coverage in your area.

There was a funny skit done on The Chappelle Show years ago. In it Dave was a white newscaster covering a story on the African American Community receiving reparations for slavery. One of the funniest lines was him saying "Sprints stock has risen sharply due to over 1,000,000 delinquint phone bills being paid." (By the African American Community being paid Reparations) While I am in no way, shape or form racist in any way, this seriously cracked me up, mainly due to the well known fact that Sprint has historically taken on high risk customers.

I work for VZW marketing, which is the only reason I have them....I do think that they are best but I couldnt afford them before....but that was pretty funny when Dave said that, and at work we talk about how sprint generally takes anyone and some one said it the other day and I immediately thought of the Dave Chappelle episode, but no one else knew what I was talking about
    02-10-09 04:18 PM
    The other thing too is Verizon holds a lot of business contracts. Like I work for a hospital who has their services, so we get the discount. Government uses them alot also, that probably more reason why you see the more "upper crust" people using them
    Same here. 22% on voice plan, 22% on data plan, and 25% off accessories in store. Hard to pass that up.
    02-10-09 04:27 PM
    I work for VZW marketing, which is the only reason I have them....I do think that they are best but I couldnt afford them before....but that was pretty funny when Dave said that, and at work we talk about how sprint generally takes anyone and some one said it the other day and I immediately thought of the Dave Chappelle episode, but no one else knew what I was talking about

Ya, that episode aired probably, 4-5 years ago. What a shame cause he cracked me up, even though whiteys like me were usually the **** of his jokes.

Verizon is expensive, and we are a military family so you know we dont have tons of expendable cash. If their coverage wasnt top-notch I would bolt in a heartbeat, you would see nothin' but a$$ and elbows.
    02-10-09 06:03 PM
    Don't know any other carrier. I have been with Verizon since its been Bell South. Wow thats awhile. LOL
    Wayne C.
    VA BCH VA
    02-10-09 06:49 PM
    I think what the poster is asking mainly is do you see VZW as being a status symbol. I personally have seen a lot of this as well and agree with it.....with Metro PCS/Boost Mobile being on the opposite end of the spectrum giving you "street cred".
    Thats exactly what I was talking about! But all good observations. I'm sure verizon loves this reputation too. Sometimes restricting and making service harder to attain makes it more desireable while at the same time making it harder to acheive...... or an acheivement for those who do attain it (hense the status symbol). Because even tho ppl tell me the biggest reason for them not getting the big red is expense (which is true), credit is a very close second. It also does seem like big companies do lean toward verizon than any other carrier. I work for a hospital system as well and they are 100% verizon with BB and cellular contracts
    02-10-09 10:25 PM
    Is it just me or are more "successful" working ppl using verizon that any other carrier? I have been noticing a trend as of late. At work, most doctors, management, middle management, execs use Verizon. I even did jury duty recently and notice the lawyers, most had verizon 8830s and at&t bolds. Better credit is required as well as the higher cost for service that as been exhaustively argued about here. But as u travel to the lower end of the spectrum (workforce, kids, etc), it starts to turn into t-mobile, sprint, etc.

So does having that red check make u feel a little more .... how can I put it... more like u have a Rolex verse a fossil.... if u know what I mean?

I'm just curious to see if u guys feel this stigma that I am seeing. At the very least in the NYC area anyway. And ever wonder if Verizon..... likes it this way?
    a lot of it is due to the corporate discount they offer. and for every business account they have, their employees get a discount also! woo hoo!
    02-10-09 10:49 PM
    OP is asinine. an hero.
    02-10-09 10:51 PM
    Dam* your eyes for making me feel dirty when I look at my fossil watch while browsing on my T-mobile BB!

02-10-09 11:19 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD