05-26-08 05:24 PM
79 1234
tools
    I have been with Verizon ever since I owned a phone. The only reason I still use Verizon is because the company I work for gets a pretty decent discount on their service. Other than that I have had the hardest time dealing with them. Last time I called verizon they had to transfer me to some other place just because I had a blackberry thus evoking my first rant. Smartphones and blackberrys are really common today. Why isnt everybody trained to use one of these things. The same thing happened with my treo they had to transfer me over like 3 times to different people and if you owned a POS like the treo 650 you needed to call alot. Ridiculous, its the same thing if you walk into a verizon store. I walked in to the store with a puzzled look on my face and phone in BB in hand and they gave me a number to call? What kind of company cant service the phones they sell?!!? And last time I was on the phone with them I asked if they could activate the GPS on my phone and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. He said that the blackberry has GPS and I had to inform him that the company he works for disables the GPS feature the phones. My last bit of rant is the CDMA fiasco that is verizon. I had to my girlfriend on my phone line because T-mobiles service blows out loud and plus to save some money. She curses me everyday for making her leave her sidekick, I tried to get her to convert to blackberry but she says its not the same. And of course because verizon is CDMA I cant have a curve, thats right no camera for me because of this stupid crap and when I checked the specs for the new BB there is nothing in there saying that it will work for CDMA thats right rejoice again you GSM people because you get all the cool stuff and I get stuck with 2nd rate technology. Thanks for the opportunity to let me rant. Im thinking I will send this page to verizon just so they know that I hate them.
    01-12-08 09:20 PM
    Alltel doesnt actually block MMS on the BBpearl the software on the pearl as is doesnt support it as of yet, but they say its underway.
    Not correct. The Verizon 8130 has MMS. So it's not the BB OS, it's the carrier.
    01-12-08 10:15 PM
    It's RIM's decision to make a CDMA Curve and when to release it after all.
    Actually, the carriers go to the makers and request a phone to be made for them. The reason the iPhone isn't CDMA is because a CDMA carrier didn't want to carry it. If they did, Apple would have been forced to make it CDMA using Qualcomm for its chipsets and inturn would have made them money off of every iPhone released.
    01-12-08 10:19 PM
    I have been with Verizon since 1991 when cell phones only came attached cars , and they were Bell Atlantic Mobile. I have to say that their customer service had always been top notch in my opinion. However, I was tired of the way too excessive pricing and their ability to bring in "new" phones a year after everybody else had theirs. So I switched to another carrier for lower pricing and more up to date phones and the ability to use my phone internationally. Every carrier has their pluses and mnuses. But I honestly believe the Verizon is a dinosaur with their devices, and they are way over priced. I too thought that they had the best coverage of all the carriers. The power of advertising. I now find that with my new carrier, I have much more coverage than I did ith Verizon. Areas that I had no coverage with Verizon, I now get with my new carrier. I live in the NY metro area.
    01-13-08 03:49 PM
    BES plan from Verizon is not $20. That's the BIS plan there bucko.
    If you go the Verizon Wireless site and look at data plans. The voice and data package with 4000 minutes and unlimited data is $169. The 4000 minute voice only package for individuals is $149. Difference equals $20. Same on the 6000 minute/unlimited data plan at total of $219.

I have not posted enough times to put the link but I'm sure you can find it at verizonwireless.com Bucko!
    01-13-08 04:30 PM
    Joey, I'm pretty sure you're mistaking the BIS that's 29.99 with the BES that's 44.99.

When you look at the 450 minute plan, it's 39.99 and the 450 with data is 79.99. Maybe it's possible the more minutes and higher priced your plan is, the cheaper the data gets.
    Last edited by haitskane; 01-13-08 at 04:49 PM.
    01-13-08 04:47 PM
    Joey, I'm pretty sure you're mistaking the BIS that's 29.99 with the BES that's 44.99.

When you look at the 450 minute plan, it's 39.99 and the 450 with data is 79.99. Maybe it's possible the more minutes and higher priced your plan is, the cheaper the data gets.
    I am referring to the 4k plan, not 450. It is definitely higher than the BIS rate of $30 if you are on any voice plan less than 4000 minutes. That is probably why I have created confusion.
    01-13-08 04:55 PM
    DISCLAIMER: Before I start, let me say the I don't give a rat's bumbum either way, and this is not directed towards anyone in particular.

Ok, now what I don't understand is why people come here, bash Verizon, or any carrier for that matter, but yet will continue to keep that carrier. If you don't like the price, service or whatever, change. I browse through the other carriers forums, and I don't see that everything is all sunshine and roses. They all have there own issues.
    I've used all three, Sprint, AT&T(Cingular) and Verizon. I might pay more, don't get the latest up to date equipment, but I get great coverage.

So hopefully someone will be able to answer this, if you don't like it why stay?

Ok... fire away!
    01-14-08 07:26 AM
    DISCLAIMER: Before I start, let me say the I don't give a rat's bumbum either way, and this is not directed towards anyone in particular.

Ok, now what I don't understand is why people come here, bash Verizon, or any carrier for that matter, but yet will continue to keep that carrier. If you don't like the price, service or whatever, change. I browse through the other carriers forums, and I don't see that everything is all sunshine and roses. They all have there own issues.
    I've used all three, Sprint, AT&T(Cingular) and Verizon. I might pay more, don't get the latest up to date equipment, but I get great coverage.

So hopefully someone will be able to answer this, if you don't like it why stay?

Ok... fire away!
    I don't know about everyone else, but I, myself, personally? For me? I got self esteem issues. I looked for a carrier that treated me the same as the women in my life--I didn't think I deserved any better so I stayed. If I ever find a carrier that treats me real good I'll probably leave them and go running back to the fee charging, device crippling pimps I'm used to. I wouldn't know what to do if customer service could fix my issue in one call. I'd prolly spend that extra hour or two I'm used to waiting on hold in the streets. If they didn't take my money from me with hidden fees I'd probably spen it all on drugs or something anyway. See how they take care of me?

And they need me too. You just don't understand us. Nobody cares about them like I do. They love me.

It goes back to how my daddy treated me according to Dr.Phil.
    01-14-08 09:35 AM
    Beat me, spank me, abuse me...just kidding (well maybe not the spanking part)! That seems to sum up our love-hate relationship with our Carriers.

I was with AT&T before they were Cingular and they had no service where I was living and didn't seem to care. I felt like I was paying for service I wasn't getting...kind of like having a bad waitress (but that's another story) and don't want to tip her. I switch to Verizon when my contract was up because they got the cell tower up in our area first and had better reception. I then moved close to the Pittsburgh area and I've been with them ever since due to their superior coverage in the areas I travel. They are not perfect, but none of them are. We use AT&T here at work and several calls are dropped daily...I very rarely ever have that problem with Verizon...only if I am in a very difficult area for reception.

P.S. I read (at CNET, I think) the reason the iPhone went to AT&T is because Apple wouldn't bow down to Verizon's demands.
    01-14-08 11:00 AM
    If you go the Verizon Wireless site and look at data plans. The voice and data package with 4000 minutes and unlimited data is $169. The 4000 minute voice only package for individuals is $149. Difference equals $20. Same on the 6000 minute/unlimited data plan at total of $219.

I have not posted enough times to put the link but I'm sure you can find it at verizonwireless.com Bucko!
    Yeah, you're comparing apples to oranges. You cannot use that package info to get the BB data plan pricing. Sheesh. The only valid price for BB data plans to get the actual cost for them is to get the price of them if they were "added on" to a regular phone minutes package. Otherwise they are always discounted based on package deals. For instance, because I have a BB combo plan on mine I was paying the same price for my BES/BIS plan as people with a regular phone plan w/BIS only package pay. The prices for the BES/BIS additions are discounted in the BB combo plans... that's just the way it is, subtracting out the differences isn't going to give you the right info because if you just had a regular phone plan and wanted BES added on top of your preexisting plan Verizon wouldn't give it to you for the same price as you'd see it if you did your little math for the BB Data Package Plans.
    01-14-08 11:28 AM
    Actually, the carriers go to the makers and request a phone to be made for them. The reason the iPhone isn't CDMA is because a CDMA carrier didn't want to carry it. If they did, Apple would have been forced to make it CDMA using Qualcomm for its chipsets and inturn would have made them money off of every iPhone released.
    That's not entirely true. It's a business decision for the carriers and the phone makers. Remember the iPhone was originally supposed to be a CDMA device since there was heavy talk between Verizon and Apple on the device until talks broke down. I'm sure that RIM knows that a CDMA curve would sell well and would probably like to talk to Sprint or Verizon, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors and what terms have to be reached to get that going.
    01-14-08 01:16 PM
    Well I hope verizon can pull it together and get a curve. I hate to think they sat back and said, "you know, everyone else is getting this curve...lets get the pearl instead because it sold so well the first time, it'll sell that well again."
    01-16-08 09:46 AM
    Well I hope verizon can pull it together and get a curve. I hate to think they sat back and said, "you know, everyone else is getting this curve...lets get the pearl instead because it sold so well the first time, it'll sell that well again."
    I think Verizon felt they already had a "business" BB with the 8830WE and next they wanted the extreme opposite for everyday consumers (read that as women too), who wanted a smaller to carry, multi-purpose phone, so they went with the Pearl...which I agree with from a business stand point, but I also hope they get a Curve in their line-up too.
    01-16-08 10:05 AM
    I think Verizon felt they already had a "business" BB with the 8830WE and next they wanted the extreme opposite for everyday consumers (read that as women too), who wanted a smaller to carry, multi-purpose phone, so they went with the Pearl...which I agree with from a business stand point, but I also hope they get a Curve in their line-up too.
    I think that kinda hits it on the head Corymcnutt...

Like i feel as if they think they are covering two ends of the spectrum as of know the business and the everyday consumer, so whats the rush to get another phone out?? I want the curve but I'm not surprised about the lack information or speed on releasing it, look how long it took them to get the pearl? But if this trend continues and verizon continues to be a year bhind on the latest technology i see them losing alot of customers including myself.

What is it, a 175 dollar cancellation fee??? The way i look at is if i pay that and then re-up with AT&T and get a curve or whatever is out by that time for 99 dollars im about breaking even... Because ill still be in a two year contract and if i wanted to by a curve for retail price i would be dropping god knows how much... Not precise math but you get the picture.
    01-16-08 10:27 AM
    I have to stay with Verizon around here...even in the Pittsburgh area, AT&T just drops too many calls. I will enjoy my 8130 for now and eventually get a Curve when Verizon comes out with it; and I think it will, soon. I love to buy techie stuff, but money is too much a factor at this point in my life, so I will be happy with my current BB! Who knows, by the time I am ready for a new BB they may have an iPhone type screen...but is that good?
    01-16-08 07:15 PM
    What I find funny is that ALL BBs are "Smartphones", but if you go into any Verizon store you'll see a section with Smartphones for business and a consumer section with all the other regular phones. The 8130 Pearl is in the consumer section. I went in the other day and asked each of the sales reps if the 8130 was a smartphone and they all stated NO. Gota love it. Does no one even care about knowing how to do their jobs anymore. Where the hack do these people come from that they have no idea what they are selling. And you guys wonder where my frustration with Verizon comes from.
    01-16-08 08:34 PM
    Yeah, you're comparing apples to oranges. You cannot use that package info to get the BB data plan pricing. Sheesh. The only valid price for BB data plans to get the actual cost for them is to get the price of them if they were "added on" to a regular phone minutes package. Otherwise they are always discounted based on package deals. For instance, because I have a BB combo plan on mine I was paying the same price for my BES/BIS plan as people with a regular phone plan w/BIS only package pay. The prices for the BES/BIS additions are discounted in the BB combo plans... that's just the way it is, subtracting out the differences isn't going to give you the right info because if you just had a regular phone plan and wanted BES added on top of your preexisting plan Verizon wouldn't give it to you for the same price as you'd see it if you did your little math for the BB Data Package Plans.
    While you are accurate. My post goes to the comparison stating that Verizon is more expensive than AT&T. In the scenario above, I would say that Verizon is exactly the same price as AT&T. There are two differences: 1. Verizon is way faster for data.
    2. AT&T has rollover.

If you have minutes to roll over, you probably are on the wrong plan. And what combo plans does AT&T offer? Anything with a difference of $20 for data? Sounds to me like Verizon is NOT more expensive. And while the plan may be $45, the difference is $20 to have a combo plan if you an individual, not a family plan. Guess we have to agree to disagree! But I sleep well knowing that I can make phone calls more reliably, I am not wasting money by buying more minutes than I need, and I get all this for $25 less than if I was with AT&T.
    01-17-08 12:02 AM
    i think they do hate us
    01-17-08 02:00 AM
    If you have minutes to roll over, you probably are on the wrong plan. And what combo plans does AT&T offer? Anything with a difference of $20 for data? Sounds to me like Verizon is NOT more expensive. And while the plan may be $45, the difference is $20 to have a combo plan if you an individual, not a family plan. Guess we have to agree to disagree! But I sleep well knowing that I can make phone calls more reliably, I am not wasting money by buying more minutes than I need, and I get all this for $25 less than if I was with AT&T.
    I'll agree to a certain point, but I find that the minute breakdown that Verizon has in terms of their BB plans blows. It's either not enough minute or too many minutes for me. I ended up having to bump up my minutes because the cheaper plan didn't have enough minutes. If I had kept he basic voice package that I had with my old phone to get "just the right" amount of minutes I need each month I would be paying more by the time I added data then I pay now with more minutes. So, I still consider it overpaying because I don't use up all the minutes I have each month. I like technology and I live using the latest stuff. I wish Verizon was a little more open to new technology instead of trying to penny pinch us all the time and not give us the good stuff. Take for instance T-Mobiles "hotspot at home" availability for Wifi BBs. Something like that alone would be beneficial to me because I could wifi voip at home and work and could get a lesser package of minutes to use on the phone since I'd only use it if I was away from those two places. I still stand by the point that Verizon could do with a price drop. Either that or stop charing for the little stuff like GPS or chat IMs (AOL/MSN/ICQ client) like they are doing now with the new free chat client they released. They charge you an SMS fee for each message sent... it's data for god's sake... not SMS, not even the same protocol or technology. They suck because they twist things around so much to change and find a way to charge for them. That's just unethical in my book. If you want to charge for service, fine, but when a technology or software already exists to use that same preexisting service you're selling, then don't change the laws around to charge, or in my viewpoint double charge, for the capabilities.
    01-17-08 11:14 AM
    I've had to get support several times from VZ on an 8830 and each time I've had pretty good help. I've also been taken to the second tier when the first person could not find the answer. I'm pretty sure he was a RIM guy. The only time I had bad advice was having to do with Navigator. It just wasn't available in my area yet after I activated the service. I don't think this had anything to do with the BB.
    05-21-08 06:04 PM
    I have had verizon for 4 years now and fortunatly have had no problems. I just got my first blackberry last week. pearl 8130. I did quite a bit of research on the phone but was not getting much feed back on vzw support. The rep who sold me the phone was a BB owner. She was very helpful and knowledgable. But for support I don't think they have it. For most of my support and tech questions Crackberry and the users want to help each other. I'll stick with that.............Mike
    05-21-08 07:06 PM
    T-Mobile Rocks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 07:17 PM
    Ive just joined Verizon (left Alltel) and all seems well for the moment. I was never a blackberry user until the salesperson convinced me into purchasing one. In my area the best phone services are Alltel and Verizon so naturally id leave one for the other. Although neither has good phones im going to have to rely on the service to do justice. Having the dopest phone with the crappiest service cant cut it in my book.
    05-22-08 09:50 AM
    The 'data team' knows less about these devices than my 8 year old cousin. I have had to explain how to reload an OS to the rep. You have got to be kidding me! As for them outsourcing I don't think so. I have gotten emails from a rep and he has a Verizon email addy. So I'm not sure. Unless they cover it up real nice lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 04:27 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD