05-26-08 05:24 PM
79 1234
tools
    My girlfriend currently has verizon and i am an at&t customer. i cant tell you how many times i have had service when she has none. i dont know where you guys are from, saying verizon has the best service out there, but in California At&t has treated me way better. but your probably just pissed because your locked into another contract with ****ty verizon so your making up excuses and trying to justify good reasons for being with them. All real BB users know what carrier is the best, and what carrier actually lets them use their phones to their full capability.
    LOL! good to hear from a "real" bb user!
    01-10-08 04:35 PM
    I live in the Ohio valley area, att doesn't get any kind of service in a 12 miles radious! Vzw has service all over my area. No need to make them sound good. If they suck, they suck. I hate that I pay out the **** for the plans, but I get service where I live and that's better then having GPS any day!

click

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-08 04:37 PM
    I was willing to leave those crystal clear calls,no drop calls,great coverage and fast data speeds to have a device on a GSM network,with my research,i now know that GSM network carriers will alway get the new devices first,you can get unlocked devices from other carriers and use them with your own service,that is such a sweet option to have i gave that all up and i have no regrets,from a pure network standpoint,verizon is the best in the US but i got a curve that VZW and SPRINT still doesnt have yet,i bet the new BB 8920 probaly comes out on GSM carriers networks before VZW and SPRINT get the curve,ha,ha,.....ands that a d@mn shame.
    01-10-08 07:22 PM
    I was willing to leave those crystal clear calls,no drop calls,great coverage and fast data speeds to have a device on a GSM network,with my research,i now know that GSM network carriers will alway get the new devices first,you can get unlocked devices from other carriers and use them with your own service,that is such a sweet option to have i gave that all up and i have no regrets,from a pure network standpoint,verizon is the best in the US but i got a curve that VZW and SPRINT still doesnt have yet,i bet the new BB 8920 probaly comes out on GSM carriers networks before VZW and SPRINT get the curve,ha,ha,.....ands that a d@mn shame.
    I agree with you here. I have heard that Verizon has plans to let customers use any device they want on their service sometime this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.

My problem with AT$T is that after almost ten years of being a faithful customer- not switching when others had better prices, not switching when they scammed me out of the $99 unlimited minute plan through out and out lies- they stopped supporting service to my technology and lied to me about it. They sent me a new sim card by a mistake and then wouldn't activate it claiming it wouldn't work with my phone. Another lie, I had an unlocked w800 that recognised it. They tried to get me to pay for an old version of the old non-3g sim card that they couldn't guarantee "would arrive or work" and pay shipping on it but would not let me keep the new one they sent me. The only alternative was to sign a new contract that wouldn't honor my minutes, international calling plan or early evening and weekends at an increased price and the worst long distance to Canada per minute out of anyone.

I was with the company since it was cellular one in the effin 90s. When I told them how I felt I was being treated they were basically like "oh well, sorry to lose you". I will never EVER use an AT$T product again. Never. I don't care if they have the best phone, service, price and give you a turkey at thanksgiving.

Yes, Verizon is scummy with their charging for everything and disabling features. But now my phone works, I pay less than I did before including the BB data plan, and I have another ten years to go before I feel as abused by them as I did by AT and emmer-effin T.

Plus I get 25% off.

Whew..../rant

I'm glad they work out for you though, but trust me, just that means I care more about your experience with them than they do.
    Last edited by ong-gia; 01-10-08 at 07:47 PM.
    01-10-08 07:44 PM
    Unlike other’s I’m not going to bash any carrier. I have had several carriers over the past 10 years. I have settled for Verizon because of their service, plain and simple. I don’t care about the about the GPS, I have a GPS unit in my vehicle. I care about the service. I have a wife who works and children; I want them to have a phone that I know will work in my area when they need it. If I lived in a different area and another carrier was better then I would probably use them.

Like someone posted prior, they are a business they are there to make money. All carriers in some shape or form limit what you can do, if they didn’t they would probably go out of business. I have friends with AT&T and T-Mobile and Sprint, that’s what they prefer; I don’t bash them for it or say my service is better.

The one aspect of it all that I don’t understand is why anyone would switch a carrier to chase a phone no matter what it is, eventually they all get the new phones.
    01-10-08 08:30 PM
    Let's see, I used BellSouth Mobility, which became Cingular and then AT&T. The GSM service gets better, then worse. The network is hard to hear on, the voice quality is terrible compared to CDMA. The coverage, in Central Florida, is far better on Verizon. Yes, it is a little more expensive, maybe.

I use my phone heavily for voice (5k to 6k minutes per month) but also depend on the data/email functions. Let's compare the 4000 minute plan with data.

AT&T Verizon
    4000 Min............149.99.......................149.99
    BES Plan..............45.00.........................20 .00
    Total.................194.99...................... .169.99

And the service is far superior. Don't forget, you can't insure a BB on AT&T. And on Verizon it is just $15 for tethering at 3G speeds. I believe it is $35 on AT&T and it is at Edge speeds.

The only plus for AT&T is Rollover minutes. If you have a plan with too many minutes, then maybe you are spending more than you need to anyway!
    01-10-08 09:28 PM
    Yeah,but why wait that long to "eventually"get the phone?im pretty much going to stick with blackberrys for life and it feels good being on a network used by most of the world and ill always get the new blackberrys before VZW and SPRINT.
    01-10-08 09:49 PM
    ...i dont know where you guys are from, saying verizon has the best service out there, but in California At&t has treated me way better.
    I'm from central North Carolina. Verizon and Alltel are the most dependable carriers in my area. Sprint is not too far behind. AT&T is probably behind them.

...but your[sic] probably just pissed because your locked into another contract...
    Did you manage to get AT&T service BB without signing a contract? Nice

...with ****ty verizon so your making up excuses and trying to justify good reasons for being with them...
    I have a good reason; they work for me.

All real BB users know what carrier is the best, and what carrier actually lets them use their phones to their full capability.
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Based on your statement I really don't want to be part of that group anyway.
    01-10-08 10:00 PM
    I had no idea my Does Verizon Hate Blackberry post would generate so much interest. Like many users I was trying to express my incredible frustration with a service provider to whom I pay just short of $5,000 per year in fees who seems to do nothing more then just humor Blackberry.

But with two teenage kids who talk all the time and a serious habit myself, it is not the cost I am upset about. I want a Curve. I want a carrier who is not a year behind T-Mobile in adopting new RIM phones. I want my Curve.

I want a Verizon service tech who knows what day it is. Yesterday my 8703 stopped delivering mail, so I called Verizon. After about thirty minutes of reading tech pages to me that she clearly did not understand, I was told the problem was with my Exchange Server, BECAUSE I COULD NOT REACH THE INTERNET EITHER. That is when I hung up and called ASP-One at Apptix who hosts my Exchange Server.

It took ASP-One about sixty seconds to diagnose the problem and help me nuke the phone and reinstall the OS. Now get this . The ASP-One rep then placed me on hold for a minute while he went to a storage cabinet and grabbed an actual 8703 and performed each step himself as he helped me to do the same. I was back in action ten minutes later. I wonder if ASP-One can send Verizon a tech support a bill.

What should I expect for $5K a year? The newest RIM phones? Tech support that actually understands a Blackberry ? Maybe I should just pay Verizon the $650.00 termination charge and move to T-Mobil.
    01-10-08 10:06 PM
    I had no idea my Does Verizon Hate Blackberry post would generate so much interest. Like many users I was trying to express my incredible frustration with a service provider to whom I pay just short of $5,000 per year in fees who seems to do nothing more then just humor Blackberry.

But with two teenage kids who talk all the time and a serious habit myself, it is not the cost I am upset about. I want a Curve. I want a carrier who is not a year behind T-Mobile in adopting new RIM phones. I want my Curve.

I want a Verizon service tech who knows what day it is. Yesterday my 8703 stopped delivering mail, so I called Verizon. After about thirty minutes of reading tech pages to me that she clearly did not understand, I was told the problem was with my Exchange Server, BECAUSE I COULD NOT REACH THE INTERNET EITHER. That is when I hung up and called ASP-One at Apptix who hosts my Exchange Server.

It took ASP-One about sixty seconds to diagnose the problem and help me nuke the phone and reinstall the OS. Now get this . The ASP-One rep then placed me on hold for a minute while he went to a storage cabinet and grabbed an actual 8703 and performed each step himself as he helped me to do the same. I was back in action ten minutes later. I wonder if ASP-One can send Verizon a tech support a bill.

What should I expect for $5K a year? The newest RIM phones? Tech support that actually understands a Blackberry ? Maybe I should just pay Verizon the $650.00 termination charge and move to T-Mobil.
    01-10-08 10:09 PM
    I know how to solve this whole issue! Go to tmobile or ATT and get a curve! Heck you look cool carring 2 BBs! I'm getting a Red Curve from ATT! Now I will have a Pearl on VZW and Curve on ATT! Problem solved! Any way I seen this on the forum and thought it was funny! Post

Click
    Last edited by Click; 01-10-08 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    01-10-08 10:16 PM
    ok here we go this is per my gf who works for verizon she saying that they are supposed to be getting the curve within the near future plus there moving forward with accepting any phone on there network so therfore no matter what phone u can put on there network. any questions about this send me a private message thx
    01-10-08 10:50 PM

I don't quite understand. A Verizon tech helped you to figure out what the problem was. After you found out what it was, you then gave the information a tech at ASP-One. ASP-One then fixed it because you told them what the problem was and ASP-One now gets credit for figuring out what the problem was?
    01-10-08 11:49 PM
    I will be the first to admit with all the problems i posted and grievances i have Verizon probably has the best SERVICE. I probably have a family member on each major carrier and i consistently have the most bars. Im not even griping about the price or anything of the sort, its the people who work for this company.

Its not just Blackberry, its any phone, the people who work for Verizon are clueless, and sometimes rude. When i was having txt message problems with my treo, the first tech guy had me nuke my phone re-install my OS and all that jazz, and i still had the same problem, txt messages wouldn't go through. After 5 different tech guys and 5 different "solutions" that didn't work,all it was was i was being sent text messages over 160 characters... It took 5 guys to figure this out??? This is something small but this is what my main gripe is, you can spend all day on the phone with these people and no solution.

I know i pay for the service and blah blah, which i agree with, but don't i also pay for customer service??? To each his own, and i'm sure some people have different gripes for different carriers so no point in arguing that, I'm just stating my own experiences.

I go to school in the sticks, farm land of PA (kinda), and i must have a cell tower on my roof cause i get PERFECT service. This is what keeps me on the "network."
    01-11-08 01:58 AM
    jhood,
    I know troubleshooting can be tricky but it's hit and miss for the most part. I was elated with my new phone - in the honeymoon phase if you will, in my last post, and while I shouldn't attribute my success to Verizon as a corporation (I've had plenty of other reps tell me what I DIDN'T want to hear, all they could do was replace the same buggy phone until my contract was over unless I wanted to PAY) so rather I contribute my good experiences to the individuals on the other end of the line.
    You're right though, in that if you have bad management hiring mean people customers are going to have bad experiences. I've had smart people that lacked any social skills at all (but got the job done quickly) and I've also had dingy reps that were really sweet! One might take twice as long to fix the problem as the other but I can't complain because in the end my device is working and that makes it all worth it.
    The last time I dealt with tech support (when I got the 8830) two of my experiences were great. Of course I had to spend most of the day on the phone with them (trying to get contacts from a faulty Treo that was so unreliable I hadn't been able to use it for 2 weeks) but I'm used to lengthy tech support calls and in the end my patience paid off and the rep found a way to give me 4 discounts (2 of which I had coming to me but didn't even know about). I was floored. It might not sound like much but it mattered to me.
    Then again that same day I had yet another rep (I spoke to 3 total) tell me that she could make herself a note to send me the new phone in 2 weeks, and politely reminded me that my account had to paid (in good standing) on that day, OR she wouldn't be able to send it out (is that a threat?) which struck me as odd because I have automatic bill pay and I'm NEVER late... So thanks for the reminder/warning but I don't need it! Kind of a no-brainer for me. I thought to myself, is she looking at my account or is it just policy that requires them to make such statements. If so, they must have some good reason for reminding customers (as if we don't know) that our bill is due when it's due. Her service wasn't bad but it wasn't superior, either.
    As for $30, seems pretty small which is probably the reason why you felt insulted, especially when you want to buy a phone that is going to cost you several hundred dollars. I trust that it was one of those "had to be there" moments.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear that Hood is your last name!!!
    (;
    I still encourage you to document poor service and talk to someone until you get something free. It makes it all seem worth it when one rep "owns" your problem and makes it theirs.
    01-11-08 05:18 AM
    My girlfriend currently has verizon and i am an at&t customer. i cant tell you how many times i have had service when she has none. i dont know where you guys are from, saying verizon has the best service out there, but in California At&t has treated me way better. but your probably just pissed because your locked into another contract with ****ty verizon so your making up excuses and trying to justify good reasons for being with them. All real BB users know what carrier is the best, and what carrier actually lets them use their phones to their full capability.
    WOW Someone put sand in your Vaseline? Great 1st post by the way! Welcome! Gotta run, guess I need to re-read my manual and hit the AT&T store.
    01-11-08 07:41 AM
    /rant

Its not about the phones... but more the customers. Once a company looses respect for the customers, they stop providing for them. I feel its as simple as that. Now that I got that off my chest, I've been a cell phone user for a little over 10 years. Considering I'm 29 right now, I was an early adapter to this communication era. Well maybe not those Motorola bricks... but cell phones were not as common as they are today. I started out with Sprint, went to Verizon, then to Nextel, back to Verizon, and now I am at ATT. I can honestly state that none of these companies have respect for their customers. I have bad stories from each carrier. We all know that success in this world begins and ends with the ability to communicate, so they know you will pay top dollar for that ability.

Now, the more phones they offer, the more accessories they carry. Quite frankly, I could not believe the ATT sales rep said he was willing to discount a 2GB microSD card to $60 for me. I laughed at him knowing that I can get atleast a 4-6GB card for cheaper than $60. The sad part is people feel that they do not have time to argue these points and would be willing to pay for immediate satisfaction.

Now, I know I've probably gone a little off-topic, and I love my BB. It suits my daily needs, however I look back at my parents and they always said to stand up for yourself and if you don't like something, do something about it. Maybe this is why I've changed carries like used tissues. I'm trying to find the one that actually cares. If I cant find one, I might as well start my own carrier.

/rant off
    01-11-08 09:25 AM
    AT&T Verizon
    4000 Min............149.99.......................149.99
    BES Plan..............45.00.........................20 .00
    Total.................194.99...................... .169.99
    BES plan from Verizon is not $20. That's the BIS plan there bucko.
    01-11-08 10:45 AM
    BIS is $30 on VZW.
    01-11-08 12:02 PM
    I don't quite understand. A Verizon tech helped you to figure out what the problem was. After you found out what it was, you then gave the information a tech at ASP-One. ASP-One then fixed it because you told them what the problem was and ASP-One now gets credit for figuring out what the problem was?
    Sorry I was not clear. The verizon tech thought my mail problem was with the e-mail provider. As in the e-mail was not getting to the BB because of a setup error on their part. They missed the real cause which was that the OS on THEIR phone was corrupted. Verizon Tech thought the fact that the phone could not reach the Internet was an e-mail probem.

ASP-One said no e-mail AND no Internet means software in phone is bad.
    01-11-08 12:22 PM
    Is Verizon really the one to blame when a CDMA curve doesn't exist? It's kind of like blaming Verizon for not being able to use the iPhone through it's service. I mean how do you blame a carrier for not having a phone when the phone itself doesn't exist? It's RIM's decision to make a CDMA Curve and when to release it after all.

As for the supposed open standard for any phone or software on Verizon, I'll believe it when I see it since they put the caveat of having it pass a "certification".

Skeptics wonder if Verizon's "open network" plans have deeper meaning
    01-11-08 04:32 PM
    Miraschism,

I hear ya loud and clear, I believe it or not have had good experiences with some reps, just seems that i get the dim witted reps a lot more often. But like i said before i love the actual service and i don't harp on them for prices or not having the newest tech ( although i would love a curve ), it just seems a lack of respect for the consumer more often the not, but i guess every carrier is like that.... so i blame BIG BUSINESS and corporations.

And i have had a treo so i really feel your pain, but now that i have a BB things are much smoother, plus i come on here for my tech problems now lol.

I do also plan to start documenting these experiences to corporate or what have you, maybe it will make me feel better lol.

Although I am still sick of it, life is to short for this **** so I'm just gonna take it as it comes.
    01-12-08 03:15 AM
    verizon definately doesnt hate blackberry, they hate not being able to control everything about their devices.
    01-12-08 03:26 AM
    I've had Verizon for the last 10 years or more but just left for AT&T and the Curve, giving up my 8830. Decided I wanted a camera but Verizon wanted no part of upgrading my fairly new contract until after I quit--called daily begging me to come back with great offers, any phone at a discount, etc.etc. Windup is I now have a camera and a fully functioning GPS using Mapquest and am extremely happy--signal and voice quality on level with Verizon and have had no issues at all using the phone anywhere.

It's great to have choices and my choice may be Verizon again in the future but for now I'm real happy with the Curve and AT&T.
    01-12-08 06:56 AM
    Alltel doesnt actually block MMS on the BBpearl the software on the pearl as is doesnt support it as of yet, but they say its underway.
    01-12-08 06:34 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD