i heard verizon cripple the gps service and force u to use their paid $10/month gps service? is that true? so u can't use google map, bb maps, bing or any other free apps on the bb?

if yes, beside gps, what other services do they cripple on the bb?
    01-25-10 05:29 PM
    VZW did not criplle anything, limitation of the GPS chip used in pder devices. This is now resolved and you can all the things you mentioned.
    01-25-10 05:33 PM
    Verizon is notorious for crippling their devices. Nevertheless, I love Verizon and will not leave. (I had a Razr and could write a full page but I'll spare you.) The reason the iPhone is not with Verizon is because Apple would not allow them to "cripple" the phone. Apple insists iTunes, Verizon insists Rhapsody. Apple: "Fine, we'll go with AT&T." However, Verizon "uncrippled" the GPS on Blackberrys and they work fine. You can even download free GPS voice turn-by-turn and it works fine. IMO: VZNavigator works better.
    01-25-10 06:28 PM
    Verizon is notorious for crippling their devices. Nevertheless, I love Verizon and will not leave. (I had a Razr and could write a full page but I'll spare you.) The reason the iPhone is not with Verizon is because Apple would not allow them to "cripple" the phone. Apple insists iTunes, Verizon insists Rhapsody. Apple: "Fine, we'll go with AT&T." However, Verizon "uncrippled" the GPS on Blackberrys and they work fine. You can even download free GPS voice turn-by-turn and it works fine. IMO: VZNavigator works better.
    If you are are going to state these one sided facts as the entire reason VZW did not get the iPhone, please post the the data to back it up. There were many other things as well, that apple wanted to control, from a network stand point and other things things VZW was willing to give up. I do not even all the details of why VZW did not get the device. Since I am in the industry, I hear a lot of things from very relialble people and what you have stated is not the entire story.

This is how are deals are made, if you cannot agree to details from both sides then there is no deal. ATT's network is suffering due to this device, this is why they stopped selling it NY. While this was only for 24 hours, I feel ATT could take the negative press on this matter so they resumed sales.
    01-25-10 07:07 PM
    Wow there is so many wrong things mentioned here I don't know where to start
    01-25-10 07:19 PM
    Notice I first mentioned that Verizon does cripple their devices. You cannot disprove that. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISPROVE THAT! I realize there is controversy surrounding the iPhone and Verizon but after reading approximately a years worth of posts and rumors on Crackberry (some posters claiming to work for Verizon) I was sharing my opinion. However, I also explained that Verizon allows the GPS technology on Blackberries so Google Maps and BB Maps work as they should. So does Bing (unfortunately). :-) Oops, is that going to start another flame? :-)
    01-25-10 07:21 PM
    What did they cripple? If your gonna say bluetooth its the BREW platform that was not allowing it.. If your gonna say gps on older BB's its because they didn't have the proper standalone gps chip to allow google maps and other nav programs to work. There is lots of misinformation about this subject.
    I do agree that it appeared that VZ blocked/disabled certain features.
    01-25-10 07:34 PM
    Notice I first mentioned that Verizon does cripple their devices. You cannot disprove that. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISPROVE THAT! I realize there is controversy surrounding the iPhone and Verizon but after reading approximately a years worth of posts and rumors on Crackberry (some posters claiming to work for Verizon) I was sharing my opinion. However, I also explained that Verizon allows the GPS technology on Blackberries so Google Maps and BB Maps work as they should. So does Bing (unfortunately). :-) Oops, is that going to start another flame? :-)
    This is why I did not address the crippling. IN the past some was true, some were network concerns and some not true.

If someone claims to work for VZW, and was not involved with with negotiating a deal with apple, then their comments are nothing more than conjecture and rumor.

As for the GPS, in older BB devices the GPS was aGPS. Todays devices use other GPS chips that allow full use of gps. Again lets not open another round of GPS, as it has been discussed at length in so many other forums.

Nor shall we address WIFI again
    01-25-10 07:37 PM
    Notice I first mentioned that Verizon does cripple their devices. You cannot disprove that. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISPROVE THAT!
    I'm not aware of any feature phones that Verizon CURRENTLY cripples. Its certainly not like the old days of the V3C, V3M, K1M and other Moto's where Verizon imposed their own UI which didn't include all the features that Moto had available in the same model phones running the "stock" moto UI.

When it comes to Blackberries, the GPS on the BB 8130, 8330 are still limited to VZNav and BB Maps. I haven't used a 8830 or 8230 in a while to remember how they are. I guess you can call that crippling.

As for your apple/iphone comments. When it comes to Rhapsody vs iTunes, I thought VZW brought out the Vcast with Rhapsody AFTER AT&T had the iPhone? i.e. in response to iTunes and the iPhone?

vincentnyc, When it comes to Verizon blackberries, starting with the Storm1/9530, VZW has opened up the GPS to work with not only BB Maps (free) and VZnavigator ($9.99 per month), but also 3rd party applications like Google Maps, Telenav, Garmin and others. (this applies to the Storm/9530, Tour/9630, Storm2/9550, and Curve2/8530). It should continue with future blackberries on VZW.

Due to a deal with Microsoft, BING is now Verizon's default search provider. Because of this, VZW has pushed browser service books to the Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 which remove all search provider choices except BING (your profile shows you have a 9700, open the browser, use the menu button, select GO TO... notice the search box which defaults to google and has options for dictionary.com, wikipedia and Live, well its just BING now on the Storm2 and Curve2 from VZW). Per a document my VZW Corp rep shared with me, this will hit other VZW blackberries eventually.

Those are the only limits VZW imposes on blackberries.

Verizon does like to push "Virtual Pre Loads" (VPL's) out to their blackberries. VPL's are icons which are really short cuts to a web page to download/install the actual application. The are not pushing or forcing install of the application itself. Bing, Vcast Videos, Visual Voice Mail, Facebook, Flickr, MySpace and others are examples of VPL's on VZW blackberries. (the apps themselves are not installed, but an icon, which if you click on, will take you to the page to download/install the application).
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-25-10 at 07:49 PM.
    01-25-10 07:46 PM
    When I was young and dumb and naive (is that how the expressions goes?) I had a Razr. I'm talking at least six years ago. There were so many things the Razr was capable of performing. Verizon Razrs could not. That is the thorn in my side that makes me roar when someone asks does Verizon cripple their devices. Verizon's coverage and customer service are head and shoulders above all other carriers (Consumer Reports (prepare for another flame.)) Again, I love Verizon. I can't say I would not do the same in their position. But GPS works fine on Blackberries.
    01-25-10 07:47 PM
    ...There were so many things the Razr was capable of performing. Verizon Razrs could not...
    Mine could
    01-25-10 08:17 PM
    Mine could
    That's because you are likely more capable than I at working around the system.
    01-25-10 08:30 PM
    So what exactly is verizon crippling?
    All I knew about was the gps and that was hackable on the storm and then un crippled on the tour and all newer devices?

So what do they still cripple?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 11:56 PM
    **** lets just close down the forums since 8 out of 10 threads could be researched and seen that it has been posted in some fashion
    01-26-10 12:18 AM
    Wow... crippled features of a Razr? What features? Haha..

01-26-10 12:49 AM
    So what exactly is verizon crippling?
    All I knew about was the gps and that was hackable on the storm and then un crippled on the tour and all newer devices?

So what do they still cripple?

To sum up what I typed in post #9 of this thread...

GPS on "older" devices was usable only by BB Maps and VZNav. BUT on Storm/9530 and newer its opened up to all apps.

BING recently being imposed as default search provider on Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 to start... Possibly other devices later...

that is it.
    01-26-10 10:59 AM

GPS on "older" devices was usable only by BB Maps and VZNav. BUT on Storm/9530 and newer its opened up to all apps.

BING recently being imposed as default search provider on Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 to start... Possibly other devices later...

that is it.
    GPS- loct locked, ut limied by the chip installed.

Bing - there are options to searches - therefore it is not crippled.
    01-26-10 03:45 PM

that is it.
    so for somebody that is getting an newer device than the original storm doesnt have to worry about this. why is this thread posted then?
    kinda usless.
    01-26-10 08:43 PM
    Bing - there are options to searches - therefore it is not crippled.
    Correct, you can still navigate to google.com, etc to search. They haven't prevented you from doing that. They've just made it more inconvenient.

But as for "not crippled"... one could argue that since since the new service books for the Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 REMOVE google, dictionary.com and wikipedia, and leave BING as the only choice/option for the browser's default search provider (search box on the Go To... page of the browser), that they have "crippled" these two devices since the Storm1, Tour, 8830, 8330, etc still have the options to pick Live, Google, Wikipedia.com and Dictionary.com for the search box on the browser's Go To... page.

i.e. the Search box on the Go To page of the browser for the Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 now works differently than it did when they originally shipped, and different from other BB's from both VZW and other carriers.

They've disabled the ability to use it in the manor it was originally configured for.
    01-27-10 06:54 AM
    so for somebody that is getting an newer device than the original storm doesnt have to worry about this. why is this thread posted then?
    kinda usless.
    Because that stigma of "VZW Cripples their phones" is still there for people who don't use verizon on a regular basis.

They aren't aware that VZW hasn't really crippled Blackberries, Windows Mobile, or other smart phones.

Ok, there are already many other threads that discuss this topic if the OP had searched properly, but rather than just quickly answering SEARCH, and flaming the OP, people choose to the time to politely answer and discuss. I think thats kind of nice.
    01-27-10 06:58 AM
    Verizon has indeed crippled many many features in the past and has been notorious for blocking and charging for their own version of things dating back to over a decade in mobile advancement. VZW has always been the last to freely allow a customer to do or use anything on its devices or network and this is why the stigma is attached to them.

As it stands today with new smart phone devices like the Tour, Storm, etc, the only features right now that is crippled is aGPS (not autonomous GPS). There is a difference in performance and for an FYI, aGPS is unlocked on all other carriers which deparates Verizon again, despite it being a small separation or inconvenience. Some consider Bing being the only available search engine within the BB browser as a restriction. I feel it is, despite the ability to manually go to googles search site on your own. I dont think it is legally possible for a carrier to outright band a site like google, so this is the closest thing that can be done to block it without "blocking" it per say.

On a more positive note, despite the "current" restrictions or crippling if you wish to call it that, I think VZW is more open today than it ever was. Lets see how they behave in the future when new advancements arise
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-27-10 at 07:32 AM.
    01-27-10 07:28 AM
    No phones on Verizon have crippled GPS curretly ... everything works

cant believe all this false information I read on this thread...
    01-27-10 07:32 AM
    No phones on Verizon have crippled GPS curretly ... everything works

cant believe all this false information I read on this thread...
    not to spat my CB friend, but your guilty of your own accusation

But I will agree that everything 'APPEARS" to work with GPS if your unaware of its technical limitation

Plus: 8330, Pearl, & WE devices are still crippled to VZ Nav & BB maps only
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-27-10 at 07:48 AM.
    01-27-10 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD