I heard of the GPS blocking by verizon. Just wondered was there anything else that they blocked or charged for that other carriers dont charge for?
    12-18-08 11:21 PM
    Other than the "Other charges" that may have Surcharges, no other feature to my knowledge, at least on BBs.
    12-18-08 11:24 PM
    gps is no longer blocked
    12-18-08 11:31 PM
    gps is no longer blocked
    To BB maps only. All other GPS maps/programs are still locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 11:35 PM
    To BB maps only. All other GPS maps/programs are still locked.

I've not tried any others but I've heard thats not true, that it is unlocked for others too. I think the misconception is Google maps because it's not compatible yet. But others have posted success using the internal GPS with other 3rd party apps.

And doesn't VZ still lock down some of the Bluetooth capabilities? I may be wrong...
    12-19-08 12:23 AM
    AllTel locks down blue tooth. I have not heard of any other apps that the GPS works with. BB maps is the only one.

12-19-08 12:26 AM
    Weatherbug GPS works with the Storm, but I think it uses BB maps to provision.
    12-19-08 04:30 AM
    verizon no longer locks gps
    12-19-08 05:00 AM
    It is still locked to google maps and other GPS map programs other than BB Maps.

12-19-08 06:29 AM
    Gps is still locked for third party apps. Does not work with Garmin etc.
    12-19-08 06:42 AM
    Gps is still locked for third party apps. Does not work with Garmin etc.
    Stop posting if you dont know what you're talking about.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gar...leased-113338/
    12-19-08 06:56 AM
    verizon no longer locks gps
    Yes they do. Just because they allowed GPS for BB maps doenst mean its "unlocked". Stop using that word. Directly from Google...

I dont feel like finding the link, but read on Google's Mobile help forum and you'll hear it straight from them that Verizon has a list of approved applications that can use GPS, and Google Maps isnt on it.
    12-19-08 06:58 AM
    OK, I just tried v2.3.2 and it said
    "The application GoogleMaps is attempting to access radio information that may identify your location"

But, it never found my actual location. It was still triangulation like it's been for the last year or two for me. It shows me almost a mile away on the map. Hope that clears up the rumors above about it being fully unlocked. I don't know about the Garmin and Storm, but for now it is only unlocked to BlackBerry Maps (and VZNav of course) on the Curve
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-19-08 at 07:01 AM.
    12-19-08 06:59 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/vz-...mobile-114456/

12-19-08 07:02 AM
    Stop posting if you dont know what you're talking about.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gar...leased-113338/
    1st off, you don't need to be rude.
    2nd, that says for storm. It is not unlocked for all the other Verizon BB users. We only get the options of BBMaps, VZnav, or nothing.

12-19-08 07:04 AM
    i hope it's unlocked for curves, pearl, world edition for 3rd party apps soon!

i'd like to test out garmin. The reviews from the storm owners are good.

12-19-08 07:06 AM
    It is still locked to google maps and other GPS map programs other than BB Maps.

incorrect kind of..

basically the situation is google has to update there things to work properly..

There has been a few posts from google that say they are working on it. I don't want to get peoples hopes up but this what they have stated.
    12-19-08 07:07 AM
    1st off, you don't need to be rude.
    2nd, that says for storm. It is not unlocked for all the other Verizon BB users. We only get the options of BBMaps, VZnav, or nothing.

From what I am told they unlocked gps over all and its just a software update ...
    12-19-08 07:08 AM
    incorrect kind of..

basically the situation is google has to update there things to work properly..

There has been a few posts from google that say they are working on it. I don't want to get peoples hopes up but this what they have stated.
    It is not incorrect. The people who say it works are not saying satellites are picking them up. It is tower triangulation. It was doing that before BBMaps was unlocked.

From a Google employee on the Google Blackberry help forum.

I wanted to provide a little background for people with Verizon Wireless devices who aren't able to use their device's internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile. Access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in that list. However, two other methods of determining your location, Cell ID and Wifi access points, can be used to pinpoint your place on the map.

I'll update this group if I have more news regarding Verizon GPS integrations with Google Maps for mobile in the future.

Cheers,
    Tom

Its a problem with Verizon not letting Google "unlock" their GPS capability on Verizon devices.
    12-19-08 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD