I did click on links but since I'm having trouble I will post a newer thread.

I've got an official but non-verizon OS - 7.1.0.342 on my device.

I purchased some nfc tags and have tried using both the Smart Tag app and Vijik's nfc-shortcut app. I do not seem to get anywhere trying to setup a tag. I've got the "mifare ultralight 64 bytes" tags. But nothing seems to work.

I get no audible feedback nor any response when I try setting up a tag and tapping.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to test if nfc is working or if my phone might be a dud in that department?

Thanks in advance.
    06-20-12 07:14 PM
    Only the 9900 supports NFC
    07-06-12 10:02 AM
    Surely not ajst222 ?

F2, its been a while and still no luck as yet ?
    07-06-12 10:12 AM
    Surely not ajst222 ?

F2, its been a while and still no luck as yet ?
    NO luck. I kind of abandoned my effort as I saw no results. I might be doing something wrong or maybe I got the wrong tags. The problem is local verizon stores don't stock the phone so I cannot try to compare. And I'm not sure if I call support whether they are equipped to deal with nfc tags.

Maybe I should hit one of the stores and ask about other phones with nfc capability and ask for a demo and then see if my phone reacts to whatever they use as a trigger/test????

I am also suspicious that my speakphone does not work correctly. It is not much more audible than the regular earpiece speaker. My 9650/bold could fill my exercise class when the instructor's cd failed!
    07-08-12 01:35 PM
    NO luck. I kind of abandoned my effort as I saw no results. I might be doing something wrong or maybe I got the wrong tags. The problem is local verizon stores don't stock the phone so I cannot try to compare. And I'm not sure if I call support whether they are equipped to deal with nfc tags.

Maybe I should hit one of the stores and ask about other phones with nfc capability and ask for a demo and then see if my phone reacts to whatever they use as a trigger/test????

I am also suspicious that my speakphone does not work correctly. It is not much more audible than the regular earpiece speaker. My 9650/bold could fill my exercise class when the instructor's cd failed!
    Ahh still no luck. Well I hope you find another 9930 to try the NFC on.

Hope it goes well.
    07-08-12 01:43 PM
    The official 7.1 build for Verizon supports NFC so I dont know why it would not work. The hardware was always there just disabled.
    08-19-12 11:17 PM
    Well I was wrong on my statement because I didn't mean what I said. Yes, the 9930 supports NFC, but it didn't work on Verizon until one of the recent OS's
    Last edited by ajst222; 08-20-12 at 09:02 AM.
    08-20-12 08:58 AM
    While I don't have the official verizon version of the OS, the version I have appears to support nfc. I guess I should install the recent official OS but I have a feeling that my nfc does NOT work.
    08-20-12 12:44 PM
    The official build of OS 7.1 DOES support NFC
    08-23-12 07:11 PM
    The official build of OS 7.1 DOES support NFC
    What's the official nfc app called on the Verizon 9930? When I type NFC in Univ Search, I only come up with NFC-Shortcuts and the options to turn on NFC, etc. Is there a Native nfc app?

I guess why I'm still asking is that I don't seem to get any reaction from nfc-shortcuts. I'm still guessing that my 9930's nfc is broken.

I've got the "Mifare Ultralight 64 bytes" which I think are the right type of tags????
    08-24-12 12:41 PM
    There is no NFC app... That is for developers to do but it is available in the settings where previously it was missing
    08-24-12 04:48 PM
    Thanks. I had it on the prior OS (other carrier) and now have the official Verizon with nfc. Still can't get it to do anything using NFC Shortcuts.
    08-27-12 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD